1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 19:08
    Originally posted by Arrak
    i know thats the thing though. after he blundered the piece he played pretty flawlessly. i matched the game up against a chess engine afterwords and ever since his blunder he seems to make the first move choosen by fritz?

ok maybe he didn't cheat but its just a bit fishy since he played such a poor opening and lost his bishop. i also thought he was playing above his 1600 rating compared to other 1600 ive played on here.

but maybe im wrong...
    The acid test is not just whether they match Fritz, but whether they are finding the type of moves that human players typically would not see.

In that game, it is obvious to any moderately strong player what to do as Black: centralize the King, get the pawns rolling to try and make a passed pawn, etc. This is all really basic stuff.
  2. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 19:20
    why does it say arrakis got banned from the site. it seems like most rhp memebers like that guy. if he didn't cheat why did he get banned?
    For asking silly questions😛
  3. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 23:25
    why does it say arrakis got banned from the site. it seems like most rhp memebers like that guy. if he didn't cheat why did he get banned?
    "Most RHP members"? Not really.
    He was liked by a handful and tolerated by some. Most members loathed him for being a self-righteous, bigoted, fat, whining slob who had a self-importance complex.
  4. e4
    Moves
    27 Jan '09 00:41
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    The acid test is not just whether they match Fritz, but whether they are finding the type of moves that human players typically would not see.

In that game, it is obvious to any moderately strong player what to do as Black: centralize the King, get the pawns rolling to try and make a passed pawn, etc. This is all really basic stuff.
    Agree totally.

Bet the Mods threw this one out after one look.

(and then had a whip round to buy black a better computer) 😉

Sorry Arrak but your bad play after you won the piece made
    the other guys moves look good.
  5. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    27 Jan '09 07:30
    well this sucks... i guess after reading this post "Korch" kicked me out of his clan (chess warriors) because he thinks i cheat on playchess, it was a total misunderstanding.

if anyone wants me on their clan just email me. i like to move often so one day a move and either 0 or 3 day timebank is good for me.
  6. Standard memberefilmar
    voyeur
    Zagreb
    Moves
    27 Jan '09 08:271 edit
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 12:44
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    Chess sites that require you to download a client application in order for you to play can monitor the programs running in your tasklist. If you are running an engine while playing on their sites, you will most likely get banned for cheating or be labeled as a computer-assisted player. Since Chessbase is basically an engine interface, you run the risk of ...[text shortened]... ing banned/labeled just by looking up opening moves. It is much safer to use an online database.
    Is this what you do personally or are you assisting an offender?
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '09
    Moves
    28 Jan '09 13:52
    I personally think people who use datebases, wether it be Openings,middlegames,end games... It's all a form of cheating, BUT not if you don't use it during a game. You won't get better at chess if you keep relying on the engine to tell you your moves. I use chessbase to analyze my games and study openings (away from the board...) and nothing else. So to put it short.

USE YOUR BRAIN.
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    30 Jan '09 07:01
    Originally posted by Daniel Kirk
    I personally think people who use datebases, wether it be Openings,middlegames,end games... It's all a form of cheating, BUT not if you don't use it during a game. You won't get better at chess if you keep relying on the engine to tell you your moves. I use chessbase to analyze my games and study openings (away from the board...) and nothing else. So to put it short.

USE YOUR BRAIN.
    Correspondence games take a long time. So, some of us always are in the middle of a game. Hence, books and DBs are allowed, because learning must still be allowed. This is a far cry from an engine which will generate a move for you in any type of position, without any need for you to personally understand what's going on.

Book knowledge, on the other hand, is useless unless the reader understands the thought behind the moves given. Using books DOES require using your brain.
  10. Joined
    07 Jun '05
    Moves
    02 Feb '09 19:052 edits
    Originally posted by Daniel Kirk
    I personally think people who use datebases, wether it be Openings,middlegames,end games... It's all a form of cheating.
    [snip]
    See the ToS at the foot of the page. Rule 3 (b).

While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials.

So opening databases are clearly permitted, as are all kinds of reference books. But do not analyse a game in progress with an engine.

Arrak:
    The question you asked in Thread 106311 got met with ridicule because it is hard work to detect an engine. There are endless threads expressing opinion about how it might be done, but it is difficult to be sure. The thing to do if you suspect a cheat is to (on http://www.redhotpawn.com/fairplay/createticket.php) highlight it to your friendly mod.
    None of us is keen to spend months playing an engine - please don't bother.

edit: trying to fix the URL - just noticed that they do not work on public forums.
  11. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Feb '09 19:15
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    opening books are not allowed on playchess but they are allowed here. (Totally different types of chess - correspodence / real time have totally different rules.)

As far as I know engines are not allowed on RHP neither on playchess.
    well......
  12. Joined
    16 Jan '09
    Moves
    03 Feb '09 01:01
    I must say that seems fair. After all it is internet chess.
  13. Joined
    07 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Feb '09 03:08
    ive been caught cheating before on playchess and havent done it since... but id like to improve my opening play. would i get caught for this or not? id like to use cheesbase 9 opening database... would playchess.com catch me for cheating?
    First of all, good thing you're not doing it anymore. The fact that you're asking tells me that you really mean it.
    As far as opening goes; I do not think there is a problem checking out the openings; heck! there's a whole bunch of stuff you can find regarding openings, they sometimes even go around the 25th or something move...my advice to you is find an opening that you find yourself comfortable with and try to understand the idea behind it; you can use chessbase to find games that were played on that particular opening and go from there; the rest you'll get it with practice (sorry, that's how it goes)
    good luck
    🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree