Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member RONOC
    On a wave
    06 Mar '06 16:21
    How likely or unlikely is it to rise to a near 1900 from an 1100 in the space of three weeks, not asking if possible just how likely or unlikely, considering that this said person was being beaten by 1100 and 1200's for a few weeks prior to the rating boom? thanks inadvance.
  2. 06 Mar '06 16:31
    It sounds like they are not provisional. Assuming they are not, it is highly unlikely.
  3. 06 Mar '06 16:38
    were the 1200's etc have provisional ratings?? - if they weren't it seems a little fishy...
  4. 06 Mar '06 18:14
    I smell a choo-choo unless they were provisional.
  5. Subscriber no1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    06 Mar '06 18:19
    Originally posted by ronoc
    How likely or unlikely is it to rise to a near 1900 from an 1100 in the space of three weeks, not asking if possible just how likely or unlikely, considering that this said person was being beaten by 1100 and 1200's for a few weeks prior to the rating boom? thanks inadvance.
    It happens all the time on this site.
  6. 06 Mar '06 18:36 / 1 edit
    It is quite likely if you use an engine. You could compare it to some graphs in the "Removed Players" section, for example this one: User 168990. I cannot imagine anyone to do something like this without an engine. Of course, a good player could make the same progress when starting out at RHP, but he wouldn't lose against 1100's and 1200's first. You have to be careful when looking at the graphs, though - when the player is still provisional, even a win can make the rating drop, so it may look like a loss in the rating graph.

Edit: If you suspect a player of cheating, you should contact one of the game mods (if you don't know who they are, you can find them in the Site Map under "Volunteers" ).
  7. 07 Mar '06 12:22
    On chart look for a period where they had trouble beating 1200's then suddenly they had seen the light and rose to 2000 in a matter of, say, a month. If you're asking me if someone could improve his play from 1200 to 2000 in a month, I'd say it is impossible. People have worked for years to get to 2000 and still haven't made it or probably ever will (like me). Anybody know of anybody who honestly improved from 1200 to 2000 in a month, please let me know. I'd love to be proven wrong on this.
  8. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    07 Mar '06 12:43 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by buddy2
    On chart look for a period where they had trouble beating 1200's then suddenly they had seen the light and rose to 2000 in a matter of, say, a month. If you're asking me if someone could improve his play from 1200 to 2000 in a month, I'd say it is impossible. People have worked for years to get to 2000 and still haven't made it or probably ever will (like m ...[text shortened]... ved from 1200 to 2000 in a month, please let me know. I'd love to be proven wrong on this.
    could be possible. not likely, but possible. - for instance a 2000-player who got badly sick, say a burst appendix, and was hospitalized. now, he would be in really bad shape for some time, stuck in a hospital with nothing to do. then a friend would bring him a laptop, and he'd find out about rhp. he'd start to play, but really couldn't focus, dropping pieces in every game, hence scoring a rating of 1200. then he'd recover in few weeks and bounce back to 2000-level. I'm not so sure if this particular scenario would work, but I think the general idea is plausible.

not that I would believe anyone coming up with this kind of a story, not without further evidence.
  9. 07 Mar '06 15:40
    Yea, that's a fictional scenario. Like the book where someone took a pill and suddenly their IQ began to rise. Was that called Flowers for Algernan? I mean ANYTHING is possible, but, again, does anyone have a specific instance on RHP where the rating rose from 1200 to 2000 in a month, legitimately?
  10. 07 Mar '06 18:00
    What if when he started out he was a normal person.
    Then sometime later his body was taken over by aliens?

Yeah just like that!
  11. 07 Mar '06 19:57
    Originally posted by wormwood
    could be possible. not likely, but possible. - for instance a 2000-player who got badly sick, say a burst appendix, and was hospitalized. now, he would be in really bad shape for some time, stuck in a hospital with nothing to do. then a friend would bring him a laptop, and he'd find out about rhp. he'd start to play, but really couldn't focus, ...[text shortened]... t I would believe anyone coming up with this kind of a story, not without further evidence.
    Doesn't work since the person was a 2000 player to being with.

This situation is almost like, a 2000 Otb player joins Rhp, and within a month he climbs to 2000. Also, because he is reading this thread, he could throw the first few games and stay at 1200 and then climb to 2000

No it's not possible. If the person is really a 1200 player to begin with, he won't get to 2000 in a month. I say in a month maybe he'd get to 1500 if he tries super super hard.
  12. Standard member RONOC
    On a wave
    08 Mar '06 18:01
    Well done everyone, the jury has spoken I shall alert the mods, just as well i didn't start the game without checking his profile isn't it.
  13. 08 Mar '06 18:21
    Well done everyone, the jury has spoken I shall alert the mods, just as well i didn't start the game without checking his profile isn't it.
    Like I mentioned he could have been a 2000 player to begin with.

If you see a long flat line around 1200 and then a really really steep rise - probably a cheater

but if you see rise only then he could just be a 2000 player to begin with new to the site.
  14. 08 Mar '06 19:38
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Like I mentioned he could have been a 2000 player to begin with.

If you see a long flat line around 1200 and then a really really steep rise - probably a cheater

but if you see rise only then he could just be a 2000 player to begin with new to the site.
    "considering that this said person was being beaten by 1100 and 1200's for a few weeks prior to the rating boom" (from the first post in this thread)
  15. 08 Mar '06 19:44 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    "considering that this said person was being beaten by 1100 and 1200's for a few weeks prior to the rating boom" (from the first post in this thread)
    This situation is almost like, a 2000 Otb player joins Rhp, and within a month he climbs to 2000.

Also, because he is reading this thread, he could throw the first few games and stay at 1200 and then climb to 2000

from my post earlier in the thread