1. Joined
    14 Mar '12
    Moves
    14 Mar '12 04:111 edit
    Hello everyone!

My name is Alex Ding. I am an 18 year old college student studying bio engineering. Chesswise, I would like to consider myself as very strong

In USCF I am provisionally rated at 2178 after 13 games. I have already defeated multiple masters with a "win" against a grandmaster OTB. I am still rapidly improving and some of my master friends say I'm probably rated around 2250-2300. My style of play is very unique (I almost never follow book) and I enjoy looking for theoretical novelties in the openings that I play.

Also, if you want an in depth look at a master level players thoughts and analysis on chess, I urge you to subscribe to my new youtube channel (AlexDingChess's Channel - YouTube). I'm working on a few projects at this moment, the main one being the complete analysis of all games and diagrams found in Vladimir Vukovic's classic book "The Art of Attack in Chess" The first video can be found on the channel right now!

Please let me know what you guys think of the channel, and also please offer me some constructive criticism on how I can improve my channel/videos and what you would like to see added!

Thanks!
    Alex Ding
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Mar '12 07:551 edit
    Originally posted by AlexDing
    Hello everyone!

My name is Alex Ding. I am an 18 year old college student studying bio engineering. Chesswise, I would like to consider myself as very strong

In USCF I am provisionally rated at 2178 after 13 games. I have already defeated multiple masters with a "win" against a grandmaster OTB. I am still rapidly improving and some of my master frien an improve my channel/videos and what you would like to see added!

Thanks!
    Alex Ding
    dude you need to get a quieter mouse mat! the wooden one that you are using at the
    moment isn't working.
  3. Standard memberkingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    Wales
    Moves
    14 Mar '12 08:16
    You probably need to script in advance what you are going to say. Haven't had a chance to listen to everything but got to 2 mins 30 seconds and you still hadn't moved anything.

Target the analysis to a given playing ability. Knowing which pawn to take on c6 with would be a good piece of advice for an under 1000 player but will be obvious for most other players.

When I get a chance I'll listen to the rest of the video and let you know what I think
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '12
    Moves
    14 Mar '12 11:28
    Thanks for your constructive criticism. My second video will be up soon, and I will take everything you said into consideration! Thanks guys!
  5. Joined
    14 Mar '12
    Moves
    14 Mar '12 12:40
    Hey guys. I have just finished recording my second installment on how to attack the castled king. I didn't have a script, but I polished my thoughts beforehand, and hopefully my words are slightly more concise and to the point. I also tried to make the mouse clicking sounds a lot softer.

Thank you guys again for your help!
  6. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    14 Mar '12 12:463 edits
    deleted
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Mar '12 14:05
    Originally posted by AlexDing
    Hey guys. I have just finished recording my second installment on how to attack the castled king. I didn't have a script, but I polished my thoughts beforehand, and hopefully my words are slightly more concise and to the point. I also tried to make the mouse clicking sounds a lot softer.

Thank you guys again for your help!
    ok, ill check it out, it wasn't so much the clicks from the mouse it was like a banging on something wooden when you were going through the variations, like the mouse was being lifted and put down on something wooden.
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 Mar '12 23:198 edits
    Since you're going to be analyzing the games in The Art of Attack in Chess I have a question I would pose to you and anybody else reading this.

In this position from the game Vygodchikov vs Alekhine (corr. 1908)

black to move.

I wonder why Alekhine doesn't play ...Qg5? Instead, he plays ...f3 which I would assume is to stop this defense against the queen coming to the g-file. However, I don't think its enough for white.

It would seem trivial from here. This makes me think that 3.Qc2 is the only defense but that looks like it leads to a very exposed position for black.
  9. Standard memberyosiman
    Genius
    playing chess
    Moves
    14 Mar '12 23:411 edit
    I think defending with the queen instead of 3. Kf1 is better.

Edit: Ah wait, the queen's defending f3. I guess I shouldn't be so quick to judge a position.

Maybe Alekhine liked f3 because it opens the line for the dark squared bishop?
  10. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    14 Mar '12 23:421 edit
    1. Qc3 Qg5 2. f3 Bh3 3. g3 is playable because Black's f-pawn is pinned.
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 Mar '12 23:467 edits
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Since you're going to be analyzing the games in The Art of Attack in Chess I have a question I would pose to you and anybody else reading this.

In this position from the game Vygodchikov vs Alekhine (corr. 1908)

[fen]Nbbq1r1k/1p4pp/p1p5/2Pp4/3P1p1n/1BQ5/PP2RPPP/R1B3K1 b - - 0 1[/fen]

black to move.

I wonder why Alekhine doesn't play ...Q .Qc2 is the only defense but that looks like it leads to a very exposed position for black.
    3.g3 then just ...Qg6 or ...Nf4 if you're scared of 4.Bf2.
  12. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 10:581 edit
    ALEX! why dont you move?
  13. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 15:00
    Once your rating reaches 2178 you shouldn't need to move. Your opponents should just resign in fear of what you could do if you wanted to.
  14. under your bed
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 15:39
    Sorry me old china your not a master.

USCF is at least 100 points bleow FIDE rating for starters..
  15. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 17:46
    Uh, Mr. Ding,

According to the USCF site, you aren't a master.

The National Master Title involves having a regular rating of 2200, and you are rated provisionally, so that means that your rating is much more volatile than someone whose played over 25 games.

For instance, I know of a player in Arkansas whose visiting form Norway (his name is Magnus too) whose USCF rating is 2100 right now after a couple of good tournaments.

He laughs and says its a joke since his FIDE rating is around 1800.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree