1. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 15:511 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    What a remarkably stupid idea.
    thank you for remarking on my idea - i take it as a compliment 😉

of course i would not like to see it based only on fast games - but 1/3 of the championship could be based on fast games - we would really find out who knows how to play chess that way.
  2. Joined
    26 May '02
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 15:56
    If it goes to tiebreak, I really hope that the 4 rapidplay games will be sufficient to determine the winner.

Otherwise it will come down to a couple of blitz games and if they're tied, a 6 minute versus 5 minute game in which a draw counts as a win for Black! The odds favour the Black player so much in that scenario, that whoever is given that colour (presumably by tossing a coin) is very likely to emerge as the World Champion. So effectively the title would be determined by a coin toss.
  3. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 16:021 edit
    my thoughts on the fixation of high level chess with slow games is something like this ...

(a conspiracy theory)

... the best chess players do not want to look like fools, they do not want to be seen making mistakes.
    by playing slow games they try to never show mistakes.

they are just scared to show themselves to the world - their social skills are not well balanced.

gifted children at schools often show a similar reluctance to reveal themselves.

let them out - let them play and stuff up and still be crowned champion!
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 16:12
    Originally posted by flexmore
    thank you for remarking on my idea - i take it as a compliment 😉

of course i would not like to see it based only on fast games - but 1/3 of the championship could be based on fast games - we would really find out who knows how to play chess that way.
    Who cares? Blitz ain't chess.
  5. Argentina
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 16:14
    What a remarkably stupid idea.
    What a remarkably stupid ignorance.
  6. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 16:151 edit
    have you ever played blitz against someone rated way above you? - or below you?

the results come through.

blitz is chess.

slow chess is a paranoia of gifted kids grown into adults being scared to reveal their weaknesses, and so they also cannot show their strength.
  7. Argentina
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 16:24
    But your ill mannered blitz opinions are crap.
    Plz, respect other persons opinions, if you have a little decency.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 16:57
    Originally posted by CrazyLilTing
    What a remarkably stupid ignorance.
    Screw you.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 16:581 edit
    have you ever played blitz against someone rated way above you? - or below you?

the results come through.

blitz is chess.

slow chess is a paranoia of gifted kids grown into adults being scared to reveal their weaknesses, and so they also cannot show their strength.
    If you don't like the way chess has been played at the Championship level for 150 years, go watch checkers or tic-tac-toe. A 1/3 blitz match makes about as much sense as a 1/3 Fischer Random match.
  10. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 17:121 edit
    If you don't like the way chess has been played at the Championship level for 150 years, go watch checkers or tic-tac-toe. A 1/3 blitz match makes about as much sense as a 1/3 Fischer Random match.
    i ask you :

2 players face each other:

if you have 4 weeks then how should they play games to find out who is the best chess player?

perhaps just 1 game with a 2 week timelimit?

or maybe 2 games at a 7 day timeout?

or what?

which is most accurate?

surely a combination of fast and slow is best.
  11. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 17:152 edits
    Screw you.
    learn some manners you pig.

a chess player successfullly learning our language successfully mimics you in your rudeness ... and then you respond with profanity and crudity - get a grip on the real world.
  12. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 17:18
    my thoughts on the fixation of high level chess with slow games is something like this ...

(a conspiracy theory)

... the best chess players do not want to look like fools, they do not want to be seen making mistakes.
    by playing slow games they try to never show mistakes.

they are just scared to show themselves to the world - their social skills ar ...[text shortened]... o reveal themselves.

let them out - let them play and stuff up and still be crowned champion!
    Different games, different abilities tested. It's like playing one half of the football world cup final as five-a-side - it's still football, but it's not the same.

By all means, have a rapid-play world championship. But keep the classical world championship for 'classical' chess.
  13. Argentina
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 17:18
    Screw you.
    Typical answer from you. While in uni, didn't they teach what good manners are, didn't they? Or (most probably) they tried and failed miserably. Or better yet, if you are a "lawyer" and exhibits your education in a court the same way you are doing here, I'm sure you are posting from the jail.

I'm done with you.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 17:241 edit
    Originally posted by CrazyLilTing
    Typical answer from you. While in uni, didn't they teach what good manners are, didn't they? Or (most probably) they tried and failed miserably. Or better yet, if you are a "lawyer" and exhibits your education in a court the same way you are doing here, I'm sure you are posting from the jail.

I'm done with you.
    Bye. Next?
  15. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 17:36
    some people have a position thrust upon them that they must argue regardless of how stupid it is.

some people are constantly free to move in the most sensible direction ...

which are you ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree