1. Standard memberIcky Ike
    Pro-Complainer
    California
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 04:401 edit
    The outcome of the last regular game of the championship will certainly hail controversy in regards to game 5...

1. Kramnik wins:
    -a Topalov accepts defeat. Kramnik becomes unified champion and the chess world is appeased.

-b Topalov crew decides to alienate themselves completely by further arguing that Kramnik cheated. Nobody listens.

2. Draw:
    -a Tiebreakers are played and won by Kramnik.

-b Tiebreakers are played and won by Topolav. Kramnik appeals to FIDE for the refacilitation of game 5:

--1 FIDE refuses. Kramnik refuses to accept decision. Titles remain seperate. Chess world in uproar. Unification becomes an even more unattainable future for chess.

--2 FIDE accepts. Kramnik needs only to draw with white pieces if Topalov will even agree to play. Chess world treated to extra games between two celebrated champions.

--3 Another rediculous proxi-compromise is reached. (i.e. Kramnik must wear an eyepatch over one eye and must look toward the floor while Topalov's time is running) Chess world is outraged regardless of outcome.

3. Topolav wins:
    -a Topolav refuses to play game 5. Chess world splits.

-b Topolav agrees to play game 5:

--1 Kramnik wins. Tiebreakers must be played or utter chaos will ensue.

--2 Topalov wins or draws and is named champion. Chess world remains bitter remembering the tactics used by Topalov's team to put illegal psychological pressure on Kramnik. World waits for rematch and/or the Russian mafia to do what the Russian mafia does best.

WHO'S HOPING FOR WHAT!!!???
  2. Standard memberIcky Ike
    Pro-Complainer
    California
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 04:41
    1A - ALL THE WAY!!!
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 06:03
    rediculous
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 11:31
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    rediculous
    Is that Diculous all over again?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 11:42

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 11:441 edit
    Kramnik had every opportunity to play game 5. Forfeiting was a stupid thing to do - a tactical blunder. If Topolov wins the last game or a tiebreak if the game is drawn, he is champion in my eyes.

A post-match appeal to FIDE will go nowhere. The result of game 5 will stand.

But I'm rather hoping that Kramnik wins the last game (or tiebreak), because despite his foolishness, he will have proven himself the champion - on the board.
  7. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 11:59
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher

...he will have proven himself the champion - on the board.
    So assuming that Topalov wins the championship, do you consider him as the champion 'on the board'?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 12:081 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 12:20
    Kramnik had every opportunity to play game 5. Forfeiting was a stupid thing to do - a tactical blunder. If Topolov wins the last game or a tiebreak if the game is drawn, he is champion in my eyes.

But I'm rather hoping that Kramnik wins the last game (or tiebreak), because despite his foolishness, he will have proven himself the champion - on the board.
    Perhaps kramnik forfeiting was a "stupid thing to do" but the fact remains that A) Topalov classlessly refused to replay Game 5 though given the opportunity to; and B) Kramnik has won one more game OTB. If B remains true, I don't see how Topalov is a legitimate champ.
  10. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 14:09
    Kramnik is a better rapid chess player than Topalov.....although im rather hoping he wins tomorrow and wont have to go through that farce.
  11. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 14:27

exactly what I was thinking.
  12. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 14:31
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    Kramnik is a better rapid chess player than Topalov.....although im rather hoping he wins tomorrow and wont have to go through that farce.
    I've not seen any stats, but I really expect the opposite. Especially considering how Topalov has banged out his moves so far....
  13. Joined
    03 Sep '03
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 14:511 edit
    Originally posted by zebano
    I've not seen any stats, but I really expect the opposite. Especially considering how Topalov has banged out his moves so far....
    I thought the same thing.

But the general impression I have found upon doing some searching is that Kramnik is indeed a very accomplished Rapid and Blitz player. With more than a couple of such tournament victories.

Perhaps Kramnik has just been wise to use as much time as he feels is needed to win. Note: his flag has not fallen in any of the games.
  14. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 15:21
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    i think rapid play is an ability ALL the strong players i have known have ... i do not see it as a farce - i would like to see a rapid play component of all future championships.

not just a last minute coin toss, but as a meaningful component of the match.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 15:50
    Originally posted by flexmore
    i think rapid play is an ability ALL the strong players i have known have ... i do not see it as a farce - i would like to see a rapid play component of all future championships.

not just a last minute coin toss, but as a meaningful component of the match.
    What a remarkably stupid idea.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree