1. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 17:53
    This Kramnik vs. Topalov Chess World Title Match could have been a great chess event, but the circus sideshow took all the greatness and class out of it. Boo too all involved that took it from a great chess event to a circus sideshow. I do not like the idea of a rapid game tie breaker to decide a World Chess Champion. I do like the idea of a chess title for traditional, rapid, blitz, and even some type of a at the board corrspondence time.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 17:54
    Originally posted by flexmore
    some people have a position thrust upon them that they must argue regardless of how stupid it is.

some people are constantly free to move in the most sensible direction ...

which are you ?
    When someone comes up with a stupid idea, I feel free to comment on the stupidity of it. If others have a problem with that, tough.
  3. The sky
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 18:01
    Originally posted by flexmore
    thank you for remarking on my idea - i take it as a compliment 😉

of course i would not like to see it based only on fast games - but 1/3 of the championship could be based on fast games - we would really find out who knows how to play chess that way.
    Why? Classical chess and blitz chess are two different disciplines, much like long distance running and sprints. If you want to find out who's the best long distance runner, I don't think it would make much sense to let the runners sprint. Nothing against blitz games - I admire great blitz players and find it totally amazing that it's even possible to play so fast, because I am totally hopeless myself when I try to play fast. I just don't think it's a good idea to use blitz to determine the World Champion in classical chess.
  4. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 18:12
    Originally posted by ItalyBoyBlue
    The outcome of the last regular game of the championship will certainly hail controversy in regards to game 5...

1. Kramnik wins:
    -a Topalov accepts defeat. Kramnik becomes unified champion and the chess world is appeased.

-b Topalov crew decides to alienate themselves completely by further arguing that Kramnik cheated. Nobody listens. ...[text shortened]... d/or the Russian mafia to do what the Russian mafia does best.

WHO'S HOPING FOR WHAT!!!???
    Yeah. Indeed! I don't think there's ever been more of a screwed up World Chess Championship Match in all my born days or before the first father of chess went to sleep. I wish Topalov had more respect for the chess world itself. True fans need a true World Champion. I say they should play GAME 5 after GAME 12. If it is a draw, start playing blitz.
  5. The sky
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 18:13
    Originally posted by David Tebb
    So effectively the title would be determined by a coin toss.
    Maybe that's what they should have done from the start. It would have spared everybody a lot of trouble. 😉
  6. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 18:13
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Why? Classical chess and blitz chess are two different disciplines, much like long distance running and sprints. If you want to find out who's the best long distance runner, I don't think it would make much sense to let the runners sprint. Nothing against blitz games - I admire great blitz players and find it totally amazing that it's even possible to play s ...[text shortened]... n't think it's a good idea to use blitz to determine the World Champion in classical chess.
    I do have to agree. But, Blitz chess is still a form of chess, and let's face it, the greatest blitz player in the World is also one of the top five players in the World - Anand.
  7. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 18:17
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Who cares? Blitz ain't chess.
    I beg to differ. 5 minute blitz and up can be seen to be real chess. Of course, I'm fond of blitz myself and love to get my clock out. By the way, my Easy Game Timer is endorsed by Kramnik - not Topalov. *wink*

Anyway, I have played some very beautiful 5/0 games built completely on instinct. And, after I review those games, sometimes they are more beautiful than the slow games I play. I think it's because when I play so, there's more time to consider more blunders. haha
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 18:44
    Originally posted by powershaker
    I beg to differ. 5 minute blitz and up can be seen to be real chess. Of course, I'm fond of blitz myself and love to get my clock out. By the way, my Easy Game Timer is endorsed by Kramnik - not Topalov. *wink*

Anyway, I have played some very beautiful 5/0 games built completely on instinct. And, after I review those games, sometimes they are mo ...[text shortened]... play. I think it's because when I play so, there's more time to consider more blunders. haha
    Chess is a system of thought, limiting the thinking process to a few seconds per move radically alters and degrades the process.
  9. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 18:51
    Chess is a system of thought, limiting the thinking process to a few seconds per move radically alters and degrades the process.
    Not so. I am much like Morphy in that I do not think very long even in regularly timed standard games. For instance, it takes me at most 20 minutes to play a standard game. Morphy played fast, also. Not all players need a lot of time. I think Blitz playing can teach a lot to a player. Instinct. Intuition. No?
  10. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 18:54

Anyway, I have played some very beautiful 5/0 games built completely on instinct. And, after I review those games, sometimes they are mo ...[text shortened]... play. I think it's because when I play so, there's more time to consider more blunders. haha
    The book told me that no chess time under 15 mins. will allow for real strategic play.
  11. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 18:58
    Not thinking about seconds. I'm saying - like say 15 seconds or 30 seconds a move. It's plenty for me. My rating on here has been 1600+ with only taking 15 to 30 seconds on my moves. Some players just do not take that long.
  12. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 18:59
    Originally posted by gambit3
    The book told me that no chess time under 15 mins. will allow for real strategic play.
    Did the book say 15 minutes for the entire game? Or do you mean per move?
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 19:01
    Not so. I am much like Morphy in that I do not think very long even in regularly timed standard games. For instance, it takes me at most 20 minutes to play a standard game. Morphy played fast, also. Not all players need a lot of time. I think Blitz playing can teach a lot to a player. Instinct. Intuition. No?
    You've been shown to be a total poser; why would I listen to a word you say? If you were sooooooooooooooo confident about your blitz abilities you could have played in the Hawaiian Blitz Championships a couple of weeks ago. Please don't waste my time with your ridiculous claims of chess prowess.

BTW, I don't think Morphy ever played any timed games and if he did, I'm sure he didn't "blitz" them.
  14. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 19:08
    You've been shown to be a total poser; why would I listen to a word you say? If you were sooooooooooooooo confident about your blitz abilities you could have played in the Hawaiian Blitz Championships a couple of weeks ago. Please don't waste my time with your ridiculous claims of chess prowess.

BTW, I don't think Morphy ever played any timed games and if he did, I'm sure he didn't "blitz" them.
    Nah, Morphy didn't blitz them. And, I never said I was a super blitz player. My blitz ratings have been into the 1700s while online. On here, I've broken 1600+ and because I had a lot of timeouts, now it's down into the 1400s. But, it seems logical since I'm a 1600+ player in standard time and seem to be a little better in the blitz rating. But, no, I don't think a 1700 rated blitz player would last all that long int he Hawaiian Blitz Championships. So, stop putting words in my mouth, you impotent twit!
  15. Standard memberIcky Ike
    Pro-Complainer
    California
    Moves
    11 Oct '06 19:10
    Vishy plays fast too... I've heard that Topalov is the stronger blitz player and it would make sense seeing his time usage. Who knows though, in interviews Kramnik has said he only uses his time up because it's there not because he needs to. Kramnik has proven over and over that he has an professional grip on time usage, he always comes right down to the wire, meaning he knows when and where he can spend time and where he will need to.

If they do replay game 5 do you think Danailov will request that Kramnik wear an eyepatch over one eye at all times? As possiblities go it wouldn't be to far removed from the events of the match.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree