1. Joined
    01 Nov '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 02:18
    Preferably average-great players and some not so bright moments. Surfing around today and I found this game

Game 2723446

Average rated players yet such a messy game.

White: Horrible opening, Queen out to early, got forked Rook-King.
    Black: Did a good job of playing the bad player, still had some moments where a better move should have been made. Also a few good combinations.
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 02:47
    Originally posted by MoneyMaker7
    Preferably average-great players and some not so bright moments. Surfing around today and I found this game

Game 2723446

Average rated players yet such a messy game.

White: Horrible opening, Queen out to early, got forked Rook-King.
    Black: Did a good job of playing the bad player, still had some moments where a better move should have been made. Also a few good combinations.
    IN PROGRESS - No comments.

Money make, I'd suggest not posting random games played by others on here, especially in progress - it could offend people and/or conflict with the TOS.
  3. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 14:39
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    IN PROGRESS - No comments.

Money make, I'd suggest not posting random games played by others on here, especially in progress - it could offend people and/or conflict with the TOS.
    Yes, especially when you are calling someone a bad player. 😲
  4. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 15:072 edits
    Come on - it's a funny game though 😲😀😲
  5. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 16:051 edit
    We all have our bad moments.

Sometimes when you mess up a game you just lose it and make one blunder after another.

Take this Game 2236994. I had a win, gave away material, fought back for another win then gave away more material and finally messed up the ending and threw away all my drawing chances.

My level of play in this was 1200 or less. Why? :'(
  6. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 16:11
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire

Sometimes when you mess up a game you just lose it and make one blunder after another.

Take this Game 2236994. I had a win, gave away material, fought back for another win then gave away more material and finally messed up the ending and threw away all my drawing chances.

Like you said, we all have bad moments.

Sometimes we make a blunder, in a panic we do something drastic to try and recover. In this state of mind, we are rushing too much, causing us to pile on the blunders.

Best thing to do when making a serious blunder is to hold back, try and think logically to see if there is a way out. Take some time away from the game. Try all sorts of combinations. You might find that you can play a deadly fork, or a discovered check.
  7. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 16:15

True.
    Here's one I just finished, offering the draw after 88 moves, queen against knight.

Game 2615140

I admit I'm crap at endgames & just couldn't see a win. Not within 20 moves anyway! I just kept seeing him checking me & causing me grief...

Pretty good game though & I offered a draw because I didn't want to grind out a win (even though I should checkmate eventually) & I thought offering the draw was the right thing to do.
  8. London
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 16:46
    Hows this for a horrible miniature with sloppy play from both sides (who should know better):

Game 2693204

Brings the adage "The winner is the one who makes the next-to-last mistake" to mind.
  9. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 16:581 edit
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    True.
    Here's one I just finished, offering the draw after 88 moves, queen against knight.

Game 2615140

I admit I'm crap at endgames & just couldn't see a win. Not within 20 moves anyway! I just kept seeing him checking me & causing me grief...

Pretty good game though & I offered a draw because I didn't want to grind out a win (even though I should checkmate eventually) & I thought offering the draw was the right thing to do.
    Q v N is an easy win for the queen. Try
    .. Kf1;
    Qc2 .. Ke3;
    Qd5 .. Ke2;
    Ke4 .. Nd2;
    Kf4 .. Kd3
    Qe3 .. Kc2, etc.

You need to force the King to the side which should be easy then create zugswang as the King must stay with the Knight or the knight will drop. Whats the worst that can happen - 50 moves = draw; N fork of K & Q = draw. Play on - you have nothing to lose.

Q v R is much harder. In Game 2476497 for example I got lucky in the end.
  10. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 17:42
    I've never had a king and queen vs king and rook ending, but I remember reading years ago that the best defence for the player with the king and rook is to keep the rook as far away from his own king as possible. It seems counter-intuitive and perhaps I've mis-remembered it. Anyone got a copy of Fine's Basic Endings?
  11. Joined
    01 Nov '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 21:26
    My apologies was a bit harsh 🙁
  12. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 08:40
    Originally posted by MoneyMaker7
    My apologies was a bit harsh 🙁
    It wasn't harsh.
    1.h4 is just about the weakest opening ever!

A)It does nothing to attack/occupy central squares
    B)It does nothing to free either bishop or the queen to activate these pieces.
    C)It effectively loses white a tempo & thus the opening initiative
    D)It allows black to stake a claim to the centre & set the opening agenda.
    E)The h4 pawn may become a target & need defending.
    F)The safety of a castle to the king's-side is compromised from the first move.

Apart from those things 1.h4 is fine I suppose!
  13. florida
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 11:43
    Actually, I find these games educational!
    I am not at the level to see the strategy most of the players here can see. I can see the lack of it in some of these games. And it makes me feel more connected knowing I made some of those exact moves.
    And prolly will again 🙂
  14. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 17:14
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    It wasn't harsh.
    1.h4 is just about the weakest opening ever!

A)It does nothing to attack/occupy central squares
    B)It does nothing to free either bishop or the queen to activate these pieces.
    C)It effectively loses white a tempo & thus the opening initiative
    D)It allows black to stake a claim to the centre & set the opening agenda.
    E)The h4 pawn ...[text shortened]... 's-side is compromised from the first move.

Apart from those things 1.h4 is fine I suppose!
    We are not back to 1.h4 are we?

Did I not prove to you fellows before that I could play 1. h4 and win?
  15. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 18:19
    We are not back to 1.h4 are we?

Did I not prove to you fellows before that I could play 1. h4 and win?
    Well if the better player is that much more competent than black then yes they can win playing any first move!😛
    I'd like to see you play someone of similar rating with 1.h4.
    It doesn't stop 1.h4 being plain stupid - for reasons I outlined above.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree