1. e4
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 21:491 edit
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    Start a new topic on this completely different subject, please. This is a topic about Weyerstrass vs. Nowakowski and ICCF.
    I think threads can take any angle they like as long as the subject stays on chess. 😛

This thread with the same title and subject posted in August 2007 (by the same guy!!)
    seems more friendly.

Thread 74758
  2. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '09 22:02
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    (by the same guy!!)
    He must be a fan, obsessed, or both.
  3. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 04:005 edits
    Originally posted by Quiet Interlude
    I don't think it is possible to tell what's going on with ICCF CC any more. The current British CC championship is a case in point.

http://www.iccf-webchess.com/EventCrossTable.aspx?id=19551

In this list you will see a few players with current or lapsed ECF grades.

One of the highest rated players with an CCIM title who has never had an OTB oards cluttered with posts about the merits of various engines and which one you [b]need
    [/b]
    This is very close to the truth. The games being played now at the highest level, are
    being played in a manner to antagonize the usefulness of engines. It is, and has
    been, a very successful campaign for many.

First, you would need to understand the foulacy of engine analysis, when they become
    weak, what types of moves weaken them, and perhaps the most illustrious point of
    all, there allocation of value towards king safety, material, and space. 🙂

Certain positions, openings, and defenses, are often strived for. Engines begin losing
    there flare against long pawn chains, why is this? Its difficult for the engine to
    associate the value of the pawns; the pawns value is higher while connected, it
    doesn't understand how this value changes based on minor piece proximity. It has
    difficulty with large horizons, i.e where human theory becomes more important than
    pattern recog. The analysis of the position, will always be better suited to humans,
    whereas the analysis of the available tactics, will always be better suited to the
    machine.

Perhaps the most important and valuable information, is understanding that the
    machine, when absent a tactical shot; will move based on each pieces material value,
    and how to elevate its value with a single move. It begins its candidate search,
    which we will not get into, but we can understand from this basic premise, that the
    machines weakness is more evident in positions in which long term strategical factors
    are more available.

Take the given position for example:

Reveal Hidden Content
    1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. e3 O-O 5. Nf3 Bxc3+ 6. bxc3 b6 7. Bd3 Bb7
    8. O-O Be4 9. Ba3 d6 10. Ne1 Qd7 11. Be2 c5 12. f3 Bb7 13. Rb1 Rd8 14. e4
    Nc6 15. Nc2 Ne7 16. Bc1 Ng6 17. Bg5 Qe7 18. g3 h6 19. Bc1 Rac8 20. Bd3 Qc7
    21. Ne3 h5 22. Qa4

Virtually any engine you'll find, will grade this position, with near equality.
    However, a human might not. Do you understand why? What may elevate the
    value of the position for one side or another?

I like white.

The pawn structures for both parties is strong, white's being slightly weaker structurally
    although it controls better space, better position, and more defensible for rooks.

Take note here, that in an ending the 2nd rank available to the white king, could make
    all the difference in the world, as white will probably have to play Kg2 at some point.
    Black's pawns have afforded less "time" this is a slight weakness. All thing here, seem
    near equal, but white has just enough, with the initiative, to carry out some dastardly
    plans. Of course, white still afford the bishop pair. However this is not the most
    important part.

The space the pawns afford, may have elevated the value of the rooks

See?

Take note, that this analysis is opinionated. The truth is, the position is very deep,
    and for the most part widely unknown. This is where humans have our strength,
    we can make differing considerations on the board, rather than just piece value and
    small spacial considerations. If we simply analyze the position based on candidate
    moves, we're playing into the engines cave. This is why, we learn the patterns first,
    and then through theory, and continuous practice, we begin to understand nuances
    which engines are not equipped to fathom.
    (Or maybe replace the word "understand" with the word "respect"...)

-GIN
  4. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 04:06
    Ah, Nowa, that explains your improvement, because the engines got it all wrong 😛
  5. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 04:18
    Originally posted by Nowakowski
    If we simply analyze the position based on candidate
    moves, we're playing into the engines cave. This is why, we learn the patterns first,
    and then through theory, and continuous practice, we begin to understand nuances
    which engines are not equipped to fathom.

-GIN[/b]
    This is the best post I have read since I started playing here. Thank you!

Paul
  6. Joined
    24 Jun '08
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 04:46

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Joined
    11 Jul '09
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 05:08
    The engines is always more tactical then human, and they have limited potentiel, they cannot more then x moves further, If they could see everything, they could calculate an advantage, I am certain this is a formula for it, , but they do not. they have limit, and they calculs, sometimes, lack an element, which make them wrong.
  8. Standard memberMariska Angela
    Nyuszi, golyó!
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 05:24
    Thanks for the post Nowa.
  9. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 14:39
    Originally posted by Nowakowski
    This is very close to the truth. The games being played now at the highest level, are
    being played in a manner to antagonize the usefulness of engines. It is, and has
    been, a very successful campaign for many.

First, you would need to understand the foulacy of engine analysis, when they become
    weak, what types of moves weaken them, and perhaps t ...[text shortened]... hom.

-GIN
    Top 1 Match: 438/673 (65,1% )
    Top 2 Match: 559/673 (83,1% )
    Top 3 Match: 612/673 (91,0% )
  10. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 14:51
    Off-topic 😠
  11. Standard memberMariska Angela
    Nyuszi, golyó!
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 15:211 edit
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Top 1 Match: 438/673 (65,1% )
    Top 2 Match: 559/673 (83,1% )
    Top 3 Match: 612/673 (91,0% )
    What does this mean? And I know what it is.

Let me tell you this. You are very unexperienced to be playing with this by the way.
  12. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 15:26
    Originally posted by Mariska Angela
    You are very unexperienced to be playing with this by the way.
    What does this mean?
  13. Standard memberMariska Angela
    Nyuszi, golyó!
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 15:37
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    What does this mean?
    It's like a maths exam where you get some of the theorems right the rest is just crap and you don't have a clue about the definitions.
  14. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 15:42
    Originally posted by Mariska Angela
    It's like a maths exam where you get some of the theorems right the rest is just crap and you don't have a clue about the definitions.
    all of the 'definitions' have been gone through forwards, backwards and sideways many dozens of times at length during the past years.
  15. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    06 Nov '09 17:15
    The only question a statistician would ask is: From which samples did you get the 673?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree