1. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    02 Dec '08 09:56
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    The Tchigorin is a whole different planet. 🙂

1.d4 d5 2.c4 Nc6

In this one, black must prefer knights to bishops. In quite a few variations, black has knights on c6 and e7 (or f6) with a pawn on e6, while white has a pawn in the center and the two bishops. If you like having the knights, then by all means play it. It is certainly playable.
    Thread 100914
  2. Somewhere out there
    Moves
    03 Dec '08 01:27

C.2. 3. ... Nf6 4.Bg5 Nbd7 5.Nf3 c6 6.e3 Qa5 is the Cambridge Springs
    Black tries to get active very early. I haven't had much experience with this one. The games that I have played I have either won very early from traps, or lost very theoretically from positions that lacked counterplay.
    When I learned to play chess, in the older days, I used Cambridge Springs variation with good result. It is easy to play as black. You have some strait lines to follow, not much theory to know and it is easy for white to fall in some of blacks traps.
    When you play against stronger players, this variation is not so good, there are some positional way to treat the variation that is not so healthy for black.

The second recomendation is Albin counter gambit, 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e5 if you like some "wild things" with good attacking possibilities.
  3. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    03 Dec '08 02:35
    I assume you mean for black after 1.d4 d5 2.c4

A. dxc4 is the QG Accepted

A common theme in this one is white gets an isolated d pawn and extra space with attacking chances. Black's position is slightly restricted but certainly playable.

B.2. ... c6 is the Slav/Semi-Slav

3.Nf3 Nf6 4.Nc3 dxc4 is the Slav. Black gives up his presence ...[text shortened]... play.

I hope this little overview helps.
    You will obviously need more analysis. 🙂
    excellent post by paulbuchmanfromfics. I played the QG as white for awhile (exchange variation) and since I didn't really care for the system as a whole, I won't comment on the defenses too much except to say that the only one I have had luck with is the Tarrasch. I tend to enjoy IQP positions from either side.

If you're keen to avoid 1. d4 d5 I suggest either a nimzo / bogo indian (1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 (3. Nc3 Bb4 is nimzo) 3. Nf3 Bb4+ is bogo) which yield decent counter play and simple c5/d5 pawn breaks for a clear middle game. I personally play the Benko gambit (1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 c5 3. d5 b5!?) where black gets rid of his a & b pawns for white's c-pawn then sets his heavy pieces up on the a & b-files.
  4. Joined
    18 Apr '06
    Moves
    03 Dec '08 03:22
    you could play the albin counter gambit 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e5
  5. Joined
    17 Nov '08
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 20:44
    I played the slav and the semi slav
    they're both very good and i had the clear advantage
    but the one thing i don't like is thta the g knight can't move to F3 which is the most powerful spot for it
    he has to move to e2
    but it's still the best defence
  6. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    04 Dec '08 21:332 edits
    I play the semi slav but there are some annoying variations which I dont like white playing and also the exchange variation is very difficult for black to ever have a chance of winning, even against a lower rated opponent.

Lately I have been playing this sort of opening - 1.d4 g6 2.c4 Bg7 3.Nc3 d6 4.e4 Nc6 5.Be3 e5 6.d5 Nce7 .... and with the idea of playing f5 and then Nf6 - it does not always go exactly into this variation, as white obviously has options of how to develop, but this is probably the one you will see most frequently against a d4 player.

7. Joined
    17 Nov '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '08 19:28
    The Tchigorin is a whole different planet. 🙂

1.d4 d5 2.c4 Nc6

In this one, black must prefer knights to bishops. In quite a few variations, black has knights on c6 and e7 (or f6) with a pawn on e6, while white has a pawn in the center and the two bishops. If you like having the knights, then by all means play it. It is certainly playable.
    thank you i'll try that
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '09
    Moves
    14 Jan '09 17:531 edit
    First, I agree with DeepThought that you should play a defense that you feel comfortable with -- try them all! (That also applies to openings you play as White.)

If the QG gives you headaches, 1...Nf6 and 1...f5 have the advantage of avoiding it from the start.

Most players -- maybe all -- find that there are certain openings that they just don't do well in. Why bang your head against a stone wall? (Which reminds me, how about the Dutch Stonewall?) :-D

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree