Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 03 Feb '06 18:04
    Someone, please help me out here-

    Look at the following game: ID 1733987

    I had just put my opponent in checkmate & he knew it (we were both passing messages back-n-forth). I made the move that I *thought* would win the game for me, and the next thing I know, the game was a draw!

    Can anyone explain this to me?

    SR
  2. 03 Feb '06 18:04 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Stephen Robb
    Someone, please help me out here-

    Look at the following game: ID 1733987

    I had just put my opponent in checkmate & he knew it (we were both passing messages back-n-forth). I made the move that I *thought* would win the game for me, and the next thing I know, the game was a draw!

    Can anyone explain this to me?

    SR
    Game 1733987

    Stalemate. It is your opponent's turn and he has no legal moves. Therefore it is a draw.
  3. 03 Feb '06 18:07
    Stalemate. Black had no legal moves.
  4. 03 Feb '06 18:11
    Stalemate? WTF !?!? If Black had no legal moves, shouldn't White win? Isn't that the object of the game- to get your opponent into a position where they can't make any moves that will prevent their King from being captured?

    This is the most eff'd up thing I've ever experienced (except for the night in Paris with the 3 girls- but I digress)........

    SR
  5. 03 Feb '06 18:13
    Originally posted by Stephen Robb
    Stalemate? WTF !?!? If Black had no legal moves, shouldn't White win? Isn't that the object of the game- to get your opponent into a position where they can't make any moves that will prevent their King from being captured?

    This is the most eff'd up thing I've ever experienced (except for the night in Paris with the 3 girls- but I digress)........

    SR
    Try learning the rules before playing next time. The point is to mate the enemy king, not deprive him of legal moves.
  6. 03 Feb '06 18:19
    Zebano,
    Thanks for the smart ass reply. A response that I would only expect from a c#/.NET programmer formerly addicted to MMORPGs.

    SR
  7. 03 Feb '06 18:31
    Originally posted by Stephen Robb
    Zebano,
    Thanks for the smart ass reply. A response that I would only expect from a c#/.NET programmer formerly addicted to MMORPGs.

    SR
    ?
  8. 03 Feb '06 18:34
    Your opponent is not in check, therefore the position is not a checkmate. However he has no legal moves, and this position is called
    stalemate, and has been a classed as a draw in the international laws of chess for well over a hundred years. Many endgames can be drawn because of this fact, K+B v K, K+N v K, K+2Ns v K, and a lot of positions in K+P v K are typical examples.
  9. 03 Feb '06 18:37
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    ?
    He refers to my profile.
  10. 03 Feb '06 19:49
    Originally posted by Stephen Robb
    Zebano,
    Thanks for the smart ass reply. A response that I would only expect from a c#/.NET programmer formerly addicted to MMORPGs.

    SR
    I think someone is suffering from a "stale mate" in the bedroom........
  11. 03 Feb '06 19:54
    Originally posted by zebano
    He refers to my profile.
    I know, but I don't see the logic behind his statement. So what if you're a programmer? Does that automatically make you arrogant?
  12. 03 Feb '06 20:40 / 1 edit
    The person who invented the stalemate rule was also a C# programmer and a MMPORPG addict. I guess this is just him backlashing.

    Actually, the rule was probably put in place to make the game more 'intellectual'. Can anyone comment on this?
  13. 03 Feb '06 21:55
    Originally posted by Daevren
    The person who invented the stalemate rule was also a C# programmer and a MMPORPG addict. I guess this is just him backlashing.

    Actually, the rule was probably put in place to make the game more 'intellectual'. Can anyone comment on this?
    They were writing c# 100 years ago? that is impressive.
  14. 06 Feb '06 03:39
    Let me make your day. Stalemate was considered a win for the person who forced it, until it was finally standardized as a draw, by international agreement in 1807.
    Happy?
  15. 17 Aug '06 03:20
    I found out what happened in the game the white person moved the queen and the king could not move to any spot therefore if you look at 1733987 game the queen block all the spots except for the spot that the king was on and the pawn were nothing inportant so I think that might help somewhat