What happened in this game?

What happened in this game?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SR

Boston

Moves
03 Feb 06

Someone, please help me out here-

Look at the following game: ID 1733987

I had just put my opponent in checkmate & he knew it (we were both passing messages back-n-forth). I made the move that I *thought* would win the game for me, and the next thing I know, the game was a draw!

Can anyone explain this to me?

SR

PP

Belfast

Moves
03 Feb 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Stephen Robb
Someone, please help me out here-

Look at the following game: ID 1733987

I had just put my opponent in checkmate & he knew it (we were both passing messages back-n-forth). I made the move that I *thought* would win the game for me, and the next thing I know, the game was a draw!

Can anyone explain this to me?

SR
Game 1733987

Stalemate. It is your opponent's turn and he has no legal moves. Therefore it is a draw.

z

Moves
03 Feb 06

Stalemate. Black had no legal moves.

SR

Boston

Moves
03 Feb 06

Stalemate? WTF !?!? If Black had no legal moves, shouldn't White win? Isn't that the object of the game- to get your opponent into a position where they can't make any moves that will prevent their King from being captured?

This is the most eff'd up thing I've ever experienced (except for the night in Paris with the 3 girls- but I digress)........

SR

z

Moves
03 Feb 06

Stalemate? WTF !?!? If Black had no legal moves, shouldn't White win? Isn't that the object of the game- to get your opponent into a position where they can't make any moves that will prevent their King from being captured?

This is the most eff'd up thing I've ever experienced (except for the night in Paris with the 3 girls- but I digress)........

SR
Try learning the rules before playing next time. The point is to mate the enemy king, not deprive him of legal moves.

SR

Boston

Moves
03 Feb 06

Zebano,
Thanks for the smart ass reply. A response that I would only expect from a c#/.NET programmer formerly addicted to MMORPGs.

SR

e

Moves
03 Feb 06

Zebano,
Thanks for the smart ass reply. A response that I would only expect from a c#/.NET programmer formerly addicted to MMORPGs.

SR
?

E3

Moves
03 Feb 06

Your opponent is not in check, therefore the position is not a checkmate. However he has no legal moves, and this position is called
stalemate, and has been a classed as a draw in the international laws of chess for well over a hundred years. Many endgames can be drawn because of this fact, K+B v K, K+N v K, K+2Ns v K, and a lot of positions in K+P v K are typical examples.

z

Moves
03 Feb 06

Originally posted by exigentsky
?
He refers to my profile.

SS

Moves
03 Feb 06

i

Moves
03 Feb 06

Zebano,

SR
I think someone is suffering from a "stale mate" in the bedroom........

e

Moves
03 Feb 06

Originally posted by zebano
He refers to my profile.
I know, but I don't see the logic behind his statement. So what if you're a programmer? Does that automatically make you arrogant?

D

Moves
03 Feb 06
1 edit

The person who invented the stalemate rule was also a C# programmer and a MMPORPG addict. I guess this is just him backlashing.

Actually, the rule was probably put in place to make the game more 'intellectual'. Can anyone comment on this?

z

Moves
03 Feb 06

Originally posted by Daevren
The person who invented the stalemate rule was also a C# programmer and a MMPORPG addict. I guess this is just him backlashing.

Actually, the rule was probably put in place to make the game more 'intellectual'. Can anyone comment on this?
They were writing c# 100 years ago? that is impressive.

D

Moves
06 Feb 06

Let me make your day. Stalemate was considered a win for the person who forced it, until it was finally standardized as a draw, by international agreement in 1807.
Happy?