what the hell is going on?

what the hell is going on?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K

London

Moves
06 Nov 07

http://www.redhotpawn.com/profile/playerprofile.php?uid=272521

I basicly agreed to two games with a 1400 player. His rating has dropped down to like 400. Also he was taking ages over his moves in the opening too. Anyway he has just resigned a game against me at move 5 but I lose rating points still. WTF?

DD
Stealer of Souls

Waiting for You

Moves
06 Nov 07

Originally posted by Kaworukun

I basicly agreed to two games with a 1400 player. His rating has dropped down to like 400. Also he was taking ages over his moves in the opening too. Anyway he has just resigned a game against me at move 5 but I lose rating points still. WTF?
User 272521

Looks like he has 358 games in progress and resigned most of his games. 😲

H

San Diego

Moves
06 Nov 07

...but I lose rating points still....
FAQ

K

London

Moves
06 Nov 07

I think he is griefing. When I sent him a message he just laughed.

F
Love thy bobblehead

Moves
06 Nov 07

Maybe he's shooting for lowest rating on the site.

z

Moves
06 Nov 07

Originally posted by HolyT
FAQ
IN case you haven't read this, until you've completed 20 games, you rating is provisional and is based on averages of your opponents ratings + 400 for a win, - 400 for a loss.

M
Dutch

Moves
06 Nov 07

Originally posted by Fleabitten
at the moment he is

S

Domincan Republic

Moves
06 Nov 07

You are stil a provisional player, That is why.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
06 Nov 07

Originally posted by Fleabitten
I wonder how low your rating could go?

i

Moves
06 Nov 07

Originally posted by Red Night
I wonder how low your rating could go?
Hmm, that's kind of interesting. I don't see anything in the formula that would put any absolute lower limit on a rating (even at 0), but maybe I'm missing something.

Only problem is you have to play someone within 720 points of you to have your rating change, which eventually becomes tough to do.

r

Tony, kiss mine!

Moves
06 Nov 07

Originally posted by incandenza
Hmm, that's kind of interesting. I don't see anything in the formula that would put any absolute lower limit on a rating (even at 0), but maybe I'm missing something.

Only problem is you have to play someone within 720 points of you to have your rating change, which eventually becomes tough to do.
one person would have to be the "subject" shooting for lowest...
there would have to be a hundred other people playing him, and he'd resign all of them, eventually, he'll go out of they're 720 point range, so you bring in another 100 who have obnoxiously lower ratings, and they'd all have to help the "subject" go lower...
it'd be interesting to see a clan dedicated to achieving a rating of 0 this is possible because once the rating hits 0.49999999999999999... or lower, it'll round down to zero...
that'd be a marvel!

i

Moves
06 Nov 07
2 edits

Thing is, I don't see why it would even round down to 0. If you have two people playing who both have ratings of 10, the formula would seem to indicate that whoever loses, loses 16 points. So there would have to be a separate check, not mentioned in the formula, to lock it at 0.

If that check is not in there, you could potentially wind up with a negative rating. And since that situation has never come up in practice, it would be easy for that check to be missing...

H

San Diego

Moves
06 Nov 07

There's no need for a "check" to prevent ratings lower than zero. The rating is a mark on a scale, like a degree scale for measuring temperature--it's not a counting measure of a quantity of something.

i

Moves
06 Nov 07

Originally posted by HolyT
There's no need for a "check" to prevent ratings lower than zero. The rating is a mark on a scale, like a degree scale for measuring temperature--it's not a counting measure of a quantity of something.
Well, when it comes to actually writing the code there is a need for a check. If you just blindly implement that formula with no check, you will wind up allowing negative ratings. The code doesn't know what you think the numbers mean.

f
Crack Suicide Squad

Ellicott City, MD

Moves
06 Nov 07

What he means (I think) is there's no reason to keep ratings from going negative.