1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    23 Mar '18 00:174 edits
    Round 1 of my quintet is winding down. Things have gone better than expected, and I'm sure to make it into the next round. In terms of maximizing one playing strength, what should one do, knowing the next round will start soon.

1. Spend more time studying tactics, openings etc.

2. Play over one's recently completed games and look for improvements

3. Work on endgames

4. Emotionally wallow in my better than expected situation

5. Enter another tournament, even though 2 tournaments at once is more games than I'd prefer.

I'm tempted to go for #4, but I'm sure there is something more constructive. Any thoughts?
  2. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    23 Mar '18 02:20
    Tactics is everything..forget all else..
  3. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    23 Mar '18 07:19
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Round 1 of my quintet is winding down. Things have gone better than expected, and I'm sure to make it into the next round. In terms of maximizing one playing strength, what should one do, knowing the next round will start soon.

1. Spend more time studying tactics, openings etc.

2. Play over one's recently completed games and look for improvements

3 ...[text shortened]...

I'm tempted to go for #4, but I'm sure there is something more constructive. Any thoughts?
    Why not have a look through the games of the other qualifiers? You might find out the likely openings. Whether they rush and are careless, whether they are solid, whether they typically make positional concessions. Any background work you do will then be to a point.
  4. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    23 Mar '18 07:23
    Originally posted by @ogb
    Rubbish. Tactics are a tool. If you study nothing else, when your tactics are neutralised you will be left with nothing.
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    23 Mar '18 10:11
    Originally posted by @ogb
    I would say that studying tactics when you are a new player is very fruitful. You can have the best strategy in the world, but if you miss a tactic it can be all for nothing. That said, I wouldn't go so far as to say tactics are everything. Without some positional understanding, the tactics will never be in your favour. Tactics definitely come first though.
  6. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    23 Mar '18 19:40
    Originally posted by @ragwort
    Why not have a look through the games of the other qualifiers? You might find out the likely openings. Whether they rush and are careless, whether they are solid, whether they typically make positional concessions. Any background work you do will then be to a point.
    Thank You to everyone here. Good ideas all around. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree