1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 07:21
    Pretty much ever since I discovered it, I've been a advocate of the Sicilian against 1. e4. As with most new-comers to the Sicilian, I started with the Najdorf, and, as expected, I had various results. I've since begun branching out somewhat, trying other lines and systems. For example, I've tried the Dragon, but I can definitely tell it's not for me. I've also had a few encounters with anti-Sicilians, again with varying results.

Moving on, I'm curious hear some suggestions from anyone who plays the Sicilian, and specifically which line(s) and why. In particular, I'm interested in lines other than the Najdorf and Dragon (but still open Sicilians).
  2. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 07:342 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 07:53
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Thanks for the suggestions; I had actually been considering the Classical myself as of late. Do you have any particular games you played with (or against) the Classical? Also, do you have any particular book reccommendations?
  4. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 11:37
    I play the dragon wherever possible but often have to play the classical or kan variations when people try a more closed system against me.
  5. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 12:48
    Scheveningen.
    Reason: I happened to buy a book many years ago by Kasparov and Nikitin on the ...e6 & ...d6 Sicilian. It is still played at top levels and as I don't want to spend more time than I need to studying openings I've stuck with it. I find the positions are unbalanced which I like. However, most of the time at my level white plays an anti-Sicilian or deviates from theory (that I know) very early on.

Perhaps you should be guided by the type of positions that you like. For example the Taimanov and Kan will generally be more positional than the Dragon or Najdorf.
  6. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 13:09
    I started with the classical with moderate results against my age group (under 12, anything would have worked).

In high school I tinkered and played poorly with the dragon, tried the najdorf but settled on the schevenigan.

Nowadays I play Sveshnikov when I play the sicillian at all. I really like the piece activity and whole board play without being quite as sharp as the dragon.
  7. Joined
    12 Sep '07
    Moves
    14 Oct '07 10:17
    Well, i never play sicilian as black, by as white i play open sicilian or the smith-morra gambit
  8. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    14 Oct '07 11:26
    Does anyone have any specific book reccommendations? Especially as there are so many books on the Sicilians nowadays...
  9. Joined
    18 Apr '06
    Moves
    14 Oct '07 14:06
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Does anyone have any specific book reccommendations? Especially as there are so many books on the Sicilians nowadays...
    You might want to try Play the Kalashnikov, from Aagard and Pinski, Everyman Chess.
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Oct '07 18:261 edit
    Pretty much ever since I discovered it, I've been a advocate of the Sicilian against 1. e4. As with most new-comers to the Sicilian, I started with the Najdorf, and, as expected, I had various results. I've since begun branching out somewhat, trying other lines and systems. For example, I've tried the Dragon, but I can definitely tell it's not for me. ar, I'm interested in lines other than the Najdorf and Dragon (but still open Sicilians).
    Why would you start with the Najdorf!? It's probably the most complex and theoretical Sicilian out there. Even Garry Kasparov mentioned that this is not the Sicilian to start with. He claimed the Dragon was best at quickly teaching basic Sicilian ideas.

Anyway, I started with the Accelerated Dragon, briefly tried basically every other Sicilian and now I'm trying to learn the Najdorf. I recommend you try the Kan, Svesnikov and maybe Accelerated Dragon if the bind doesn't bother you.
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 Oct '07 18:341 edit
    Pretty much ever since I discovered it, I've been a advocate of the Sicilian against 1. e4. As with most new-comers to the Sicilian, I started with the Najdorf, and, as expected, I had various results. I've since begun branching out somewhat, trying other lines and systems. For example, I've tried the Dragon, but I can definitely tell it's not for me. ar, I'm interested in lines other than the Najdorf and Dragon (but still open Sicilians).
    Here is a game I played with the poison pawn variation. But as black you can't force this variation it relies on white choosing the variation but you should still know it. By the way I'm using the black pieces

[Event "Let's play chess"]
    [Site "http://gameknot.com/chess.pl?bd=8284272"]
    [Date "2007.10.13"]
    [Round "-"]
    [White "zenbishop"]
    [Black "hello232"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [WhiteElo "1547"]
    [BlackElo "1200"]
    [TimeControl "1/259200"]
    [Mode "ICS"]
    [Termination "normal"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6
    6. Bg5 e6 7. f4 Qb6 8. Qd2 Qxb2 9. Rb1 Qa3 10. Bxf6 gxf6
    11. Be2 Nc6 12. O-O Bd7 13. Rxb7 Na5 14. Rbb1 Rc8 15. Nb3 Nc4
    16. Bxc4 Rxc4 17. Qd3 Bb5 18. Nxb5 axb5 19. f5 Qxa2 20. Nd4 e5
    21. Nxb5 Rxc2 22. Nxd6+ Bxd6 23. Kh1 Rxg2 24. Qb5+ Kf8 0-1

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree