1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    24 Oct '15 05:37
    Hello- In looking back over the last few decades, I've made many errors in the way I've approached chess. i e. I played OTB tournaments in an attempt to escape some of my real life problems and played poorly as a result. Tried to memorize too many book openings and lost games because my tactics were weak. Took on too many games on RHP and had to resign many of them (some in won positions) because my work schedule conflicted. What I should have done is stay with correspondence chess because it fits my lifestyle, take on a smaller game load, and study tactics a little each day to avoid burnout. So...now that I've confessed my sins, would any of you care to volunteer some things that you would do differently? May I could learn some things from all of you. 🙂
  2. Subscriberjb70
    State of Confusion
    Lancashire
    Moves
    24 Oct '15 09:41
    I'm sure many who read this can identify with it.
    In the old days we got a book and set up a board and tried to follow all the variations and often lost our way and got frustrated.The electronic board is now a facility that makes following games and variations a lot simpler.
    Following blogs is like being in a chess club.The random mix can give direction to somewhere you might not of first thought.
    I wouldn't be too hard on yourself for how you did things in the past.
    Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive
    eliminate the negative
    Latch on to the affirmative
    But don't mess with mister inbetween.
    How we got to where we are can't be all bad.
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    24 Oct '15 13:24
    Originally posted by bill718
    Hello- In looking back over the last few decades, I've made many errors in the way I've approached chess. i e. I played OTB tournaments in an attempt to escape some of my real life problems and played poorly as a result. Tried to memorize too many book openings and lost games because my tactics were weak. Took on too many games on RHP and had to resign many ...[text shortened]... er some things that you would do differently? May I could learn some things from all of you. 🙂
    I see you are a non subscriber so you'll be limited to 6 games max.
    Is that really too many?
    Should you re subscribe and take on more games here are some suggestions.
    Play games with a longish time frame.I only play 7:7 or longer and rarely have a clear board(i.e. no games awaiting my move).
    Don't feel you have to move quickly.This way you just make mistakes.If you are not under time pressure -which you shouldn't be with 7:7 minimum, take your time.It doesn't matter if you are on line for an hour and only make a couple of moves if they are the right ones.
    Use the analyse board feature.I often go back several moves and play through them to remind myself what I was doing.I then play what I think will be several possible continuations to my planned move on the analyse board before I go back to the main board and move.
    CHECK ALL CHECKS -this is Greenpawns mantra -and it works.
    Double check your move before you press the submit button -you may have missed something really obvious.
    I shouldn't bother trying to remember book openings to any great degree.They're fine as long as your opponents delivers the correct response.If he doesn't what do you do then?
    Find a couple of openings you are comfortable playing with both sides.You'll soon become familiar with the responses and potential problems.
    Sorry to ramble on a bit .Hope this helps
  4. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    24 Oct '15 13:30
    I'd like to play OTB more, but club/league night around here is on a Wednesday, and that clashes with my pool league commitments 🙁

Pool is like chess, but on a pool table, and completely different in many ways.... so, it's not really like it at all, heh
  5. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    24 Oct '15 14:301 edit
    Originally posted by venda
    I see you are a non subscriber so you'll be limited to 6 games max.
    Is that really too many?
    Should you re subscribe and take on more games here are some suggestions.
    Play games with a longish time frame.I only play 7:7 or longer and rarely have a clear board(i.e. no games awaiting my move).
    Don't feel you have to move quickly.This way you just make mistak ...[text shortened]... e familiar with the responses and potential problems.
    Sorry to ramble on a bit .Hope this helps
    Venda, jb70- Thank You for your input. Your ideas are sensible. Yes, the 7:7 time control is a good one, and I'll slowly be taking on more games. Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive is also a good idea, it's easy to beat ourselves up sometimes when things don't go well.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree