1. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 19:33
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    If I merely dropped a pawn against Kasparov I would probably resign, But i may drop a whole Knight before I resign in another game against someone my level or lower.....

the simple reason is, comebacks are very possible against weaker players...
    I wouldn't resign even to Kasparov until he had an aboslute win. I don't think I would stand a chance against him of course, but that doesn't mean I'm going to resign. I mean if I had the balls to actually play Kasparov (and the oppurtunity) might as well play the game to the finish.
  2. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 19:491 edit
    In figure 7, we need to know whose move it is.

Same thing in figure 8.
  3. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 19:56
    Originally posted by Red Night
    In figure 7, we need to know whose move it is.

Same thing in figure 8.
    On the site it says "assume you're black and it's your move" so it's always black to move 🙂
  4. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 20:05
    Originally posted by Gorgar
    On the site it says "assume you're black and it's your move" so it's always black to move 🙂
    Thanks. In figure 7, the player with the move loses.

I figure 8, white has an easy forced win with the move. It's not so obvious if Black has the move.
  5. USA
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 20:27
    Originally posted by BlueEyedRook
    This is an oft debated topic. I know some people hate my polls (mean and discouraging comments can be made after this post), but I thought it would be an interesting to take a quick survey on some common situations where players might be tempted to resign.

I have a theory for each position and how each will turn out. If you got a few minutes to kil ...[text shortened]...
    http://blueeyedrook.blogspot.com/

(Feel free to curse my name, my posts, and anything else!)
    I put no on all of them. I only resign when i am absolutely sure of the player's rating. Also, even if this unrated player outplayed me in the earlier stages of the game, many new players focus on tactics, and little on endgames. Therefore, I would not resign in any of the positions.
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 21:381 edit
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    I put no on all of them.
    You wouldn't resign in a King + Queen vs King game?! Even an ape could mate you in such a setup!
  7. Standard memberBlueEyedRook
    Ol' Blue Eyes
    Moves
    14 Jul '06 21:52
    Originally posted by aginis
    [b]i'm surprised someone would resign in position 5 (a dead draw)
    I actually purposely did this (for those who haven't seen the site Fig. 5 is a knight, knight vs. king scenario. I threw that in there to see how many people wouldn't realize it is a dead draw. Surprisingly a couple missed it.
  8. Standard memberBlueEyedRook
    Ol' Blue Eyes
    Moves
    15 Jul '06 23:26
    Originally posted by BlueEyedRook
    This is an oft debated topic. I know some people hate my polls (mean and discouraging comments can be made after this post), but I thought it would be an interesting to take a quick survey on some common situations where players might be tempted to resign.

I have a theory for each position and how each will turn out. If you got a few minutes to kil ...[text shortened]...
    http://blueeyedrook.blogspot.com/

(Feel free to curse my name, my posts, and anything else!)
    Not sure why the figures look so crappy.
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Jul '06 00:24
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    I put no on all of them. I only resign when i am absolutely sure of the player's rating. Also, even if this unrated player outplayed me in the earlier stages of the game, many new players focus on tactics, and little on endgames. Therefore, I would not resign in any of the positions.
    I'll never EVER play you unless I have to. I can't stand people like you. If you're down a queen it's time to quit.
  10. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    16 Jul '06 00:39
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I'll never EVER play you unless I have to. I can't stand people like you. If you're down a queen it's time to quit.
    it's not within your rights to tell others when to quit.
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 Jul '06 06:05
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Really?

12. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    16 Jul '06 18:26
    You should resign when you are certain your game is lost not before and not after!
  13. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    16 Jul '06 18:28
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Really?

[fen]3k4/1p6/bPp1p1p1/1pP1PpP1/1P3P2/3NK3/2q5/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    Fritz has black 8.56 pawns up!

It assesss it as a clear win!

Who am I to argue with Fritz? He is better than me!

:'(
  14. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Jul '06 21:16
    Not always.
  15. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    16 Jul '06 21:341 edit
    I wouldn't resign any of the positions until I KNEW my opponent could demonstrate the win. Recently I watched a local college player trying to mate with a K+R vs. K and he finally gave up saying, "There must be a way to do it, but I don't know how."

Edit:
    You gotta know when to hold 'em and you gotta know when to fold 'em. Also, never count your rating points while you're sitting at the table. Used to be a song, I think.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree