When to Resign?

When to Resign?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a

Moves
18 Jul 06
1 edit

Originally posted by BlueEyedRook
I don't disagree with you.

Actually, the trick to my little survey is that every single position (except Figure 5 (Knight, Knight vs. King) situation is a forced win. And I am about 99% sure that I could force that win in any of those 9 diagrams -- Except the Bishop, Knight vs. king scenario.

The knight and bishop just are such an odd pair.... ...[text shortened]... e and enough resources, I probably could figure it out . . . . emphasis on the "probably." 🙁
fig 8.

1...b6 =

(i challenge anyone to prove me wrong)

c

Moves
19 Jul 06

Originally posted by aginis
fig 8.

1...b6 =

I may be looking at the wrong thing, but doesn't a white pawn already occupy b6? Sorry if this is wrong, but I don't know what fig. 8 is :/.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
19 Jul 06

fig 8.

1...b6 =

I agree with your assessment.

c

Moves
19 Jul 06

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
I agree with your assessment.
Oh...nevermind, we're back to the survey. Ok got it.

a

Moves
19 Jul 06
1 edit

ok here goes my own little survey.

I've selected a few games where i felt my opponents (or I) dragged it out a bit, go through the game one move at a time and see where you would have resigned and we can discuss the results.

Game 1
Game 2200106

Game 2
Game 2200113

Game 3
Game 2200102

Game 4
Game 2209067

Game 5
Game 2223997

Game 6
Game 2176293

M

Moves
19 Jul 06
1 edit

[b]ok here goes my own little survey.

I've selected a few games where i felt my opponents (or I) dragged it out a bit, go through the game one move at a time and see where you would have resigned and we can discuss the results.
Game 5
Game 2223997

This game could be used as an example of why not to resign. White's position was resignable for 10 or more moves, until black blundered on move 49, leaving him checkmated at move 51.

a

Moves
19 Jul 06
3 edits

Originally posted by Mephisto2
Game 5
Game 2223997

This game could be used as an example of why not to resign. White's position was resignable for 10 or more moves, until black blundered on move 49, leaving him checkmated at move 51.
i know i snuck that one in just to see who would resign before they got to the end 😀

It brings up an important point on how to win a game...i was ready to resign if my opp had traded rooks or taken a kingside pawn (i was actually looking for a perpetual check when the king couldn't get off the back two ranks and my rook kept checking on the c file.) Instead he rushed to promote his own pawn and lost. slow and simple is the key to winning once you are up. I think game 1 is a perfect example of slow and easy, no unneccesary sacks (especially not leaving any pawns hanging even though i had a few to spare), just slowly trade everything off and go in for the kill.

B
Ol' Blue Eyes

Moves
28 Jul 06

Originally posted by BlueEyedRook
This is an oft debated topic. I know some people hate my polls (mean and discouraging comments can be made after this post), but I thought it would be an interesting to take a quick survey on some common situations where players might be tempted to resign.

I have a theory for each position and how each will turn out. If you got a few minutes to kil ...[text shortened]...
http://blueeyedrook.blogspot.com/

(Feel free to curse my name, my posts, and anything else!)
About 58 people voted.... that's about 57 more than I thought would. I was going to close this down this weekend. If anyone would like to vote before then, please do so.

Bumptity, Bump.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
28 Jul 06
1 edit

Heres 3 games I really messed up.

Game 2147039 played d4 without thinking then realised meant to do it in another game. At move 5 I almost resigned before he played the expected g2 which wins instantly but he didn't and played QXe4+ in stead. My position was still dire but I played on and won.

Game 2167396 for about 10 moves from move 27 onwards the only reason I did not resign was my opponent had a p1200 rating. Expecting him to improve I waited a few moves but suddenly a chance, a fork and my N & R are free and I won.

Game 2211526 on move 14 I missed a mate in 1. before my opponent played QXf2++ I almost resigned but didn't get round to it. He didn't paly it and I went on to win.

So 3 totally lost games that I should have resigned and won!