1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 22:21
    I know that knights and bishops have equal point value, but I want opinions...

Who thinks a knight is better? A bishop? Why?
  2. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 22:22
    Hammer or screwdriver?
  3. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 22:23

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 22:24
    Alright...let me try it this way...would you be more likely to trade a knight for a bishop or a bishop for a knight?

Explain why...
  5. Stockholm, Sweden
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 22:25
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    I know that knights and bishops have equal point value, but I want [b]opinions...

Who thinks a knight is better? A bishop? Why?[/b]
    It's nice to have this question on the forums every third months or so... 🙂

With the risk of annoying you, I do not think it is an opinion, but a fact which is best in a given position. Knights and Bishops are two different tools (like the poster before me perhaps tried to hint you with), you use them in different situations.
  6. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 22:261 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Standard memberEAPOE
    Earl of Rochester
    Restoration London
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 22:26
    Some consider Knights to be more versatile for developing position at the start of the game and bishops better to have in later stages of play across long diagonals. Personally I will usually exchange my Knights for opponents Bishops, unless there are positional advantages to be gained through the reverse exchange.
  8. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 22:281 edit
    Here are some opinions by some players a good deal stronger than anyone who is likely to respond to this thread:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_piece_point_value

I think Fischer thought that a bishop was worth 3.5 compared to 3.0 for a knight.

I was intrigued by Larry Kaufman's comments in the Wikipedia article.
  9. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 22:33
    Some players handle certain pieces better than others. For example I know of two very attacking players who are experts at maneuvering their knights and queen into a mating attack. The weaker of the two (about the same ECF grade as me but completely different style of playing) fully recognises his strengths and will happily trade off his bishops for his opponent's knights early in the game.
  10. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    08 Dec '06 22:41
    I like bishops because of their range. Rarely will I play a game with a closed position in which case I would love knights. Sometimes I like to have a bishop and a knight but usually I prefer the bishop pair and will gladly trade my knights for my opponents bishops if the position is open.

On an empty chess board the bishops own the knights, and (usually) the longer the game progresses the emptier the board becomes.

The good part about knights is if you can penetrate them behiend the opponents pawn chain they can often wreak havoc... but if you can block them from entering they are more timid.
  11. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    09 Dec '06 04:17
    "Both a knight and a bishop are worth exactly three points, its up to you to make your piece more valuable"

IM Jeremy Silman
  12. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    09 Dec '06 12:19
    Bishop
  13. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    09 Dec '06 15:22
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I was intrigued by Larry Kaufman's comments in the Wikipedia article.
    larry kaufman - the evaluation of material imbalances:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/danheisman/Articles/evaluation_of_material_imbalance.htm
  14. back in business
    Moves
    09 Dec '06 16:26
    Personally I dont give a damn about the point-count.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Dec '06 19:06
    Originally posted by Golub
    It's nice to have this question on the forums every third months or so... 🙂

With the risk of annoying you, I do not think it is an opinion, but a fact which is best in a given position. Knights and Bishops are two different tools (like the poster before me perhaps tried to hint you with), you use them in different situations.
    Should be an expert at answering then, huh?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree