Which is better to have?  2 Knights or 1 Knight...

Which is better to have? 2 Knights or 1 Knight...

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
18 Feb 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
Mating with 2 N is impossible unless your opponent has a P when in certain circumstances it is possible but extremely difficult even for a GM.
I know you know but still I'll say as someone told me when I posted the same thing.

MAting with 2 N isn't impossible it can't be forced. If the other side slips up you can mate him without any other material need to be present in the board. So if the guy with 2 NN thinks that there is that possibility let him play on.

Somehow we are thinking that this thing isn't forced but end up writting can't be made. 😕

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
18 Feb 08

Originally posted by adam warlock
I know you know but still I'll say as someone told me when I posted the same thing.

MAting with 2 N isn't impossible it can't be forced. If the other side slips up you can mate him without any other material need to be present in the board. So if the guy with 2 NN thinks that there is that possibility let him play on.

Somehow we are thinking that this thing isn't forced but end up writting can't be made. 😕
Of course a theoretical position exists but it is a "help mate" and cannot be forced.

With all the time in the world it is a draw so I wouldn't waste time trying but if time is an issue (especially OTB) play on as there is nothing to lose and a win on time is possible as a mating position exists.

F

Moves
18 Feb 08

My coach says
two bishops > two knights/bishop and knight.
two knights > bishop and knight

I appreciate these are rough guidelines indeed, but it was a rough question.

E

Moves
18 Feb 08

a queen