1. Joined
    15 Jan '08
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 22:071 edit
    Which is better to have 2 Knights or 1 Knight and 1 Bishop?

I am interested to see what other players here think is better to have.

Does it depend on your personal preference and playing style or is one way deffinately better than the other?
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 22:24
    Originally posted by Snagproof

Does it depend on your personal preference and playing style or is one way deffinately better than the other?
    Such generic questions are pretty meaningless in chess. It depends on the position.
  3. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 22:301 edit
    Originally posted by Snagproof

Which one is better? A pawn that will give a checkmate next move or 3 Queens? 😕
  4. Standard memberLukerik
    Stick your hands up
    Your bum
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 23:03
    Yes, position is of course the key here. There are numerous clever analyses of of master games which award points here or there but at our level (depending on position) take what you're best with. Bishop pair is nice, but I do love my knights (vainly hoping none of my current opponents read this).
  5. Earth
    Moves
    16 Feb '08 13:55
    Originally posted by kenan
    Which one is better? A pawn that will give a checkmate next move or 3 Queens? 😕
    Which is better to have, a chess forum where people can ask reasonable questions, or one where the chess community will ridicule the poster?

As you infer, position is everything and there are no guidelines here. However, consensus at GM level is that a pair of bishops is often better than any other minor piece combination. Bishops often sneak ahead of knights in more open positions where their mobility is greater and two bishops can control both colour squares and cooperate extensively. Likewise in very closed positions with strong pawn chains, knights can have the edge due to their ability to jump and change the colour they control in a single move. Two knights also often cooperate better than knight and bishop for reasons of symmetry. I have to say these are all very sutble differences, so the bottom line is, you have to assess which is best given the game in front of you (ie which minor pieces are 'bad' and which are 'good' - this can be the basis of your decision making when considering exchanges)
  6. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    16 Feb '08 14:33

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    16 Feb '08 14:381 edit
    I was just thinking of saying that myself. I remembered seeing it happen in a game once - one side was two pawns up but his opponent sacrificed both pieces to force a draw.
  8. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    16 Feb '08 15:041 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Good point - but how many people have actually ever mated anybody using just bishop and knight? Not many I suspect.

I've never actually seen this happen in a competitive game. Mind you I play much more club chess than tournament chess - and the adjudication possibility will limit the number of games that could ever get to B+N mate.

Has anybody ever had B+N+K against K on RHP - successful or otherwise?
  9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    16 Feb '08 15:51
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    Game 1121956

D
  10. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    17 Feb '08 05:12
    Originally posted by Policestate
    Which is better to have, a chess forum where people can ask reasonable questions, or one where the chess community will ridicule the poster?

As you infer, position is everything and there are no guidelines here. However, consensus at GM level is that a pair of bishops is often better than any other minor piece combination. Bishops often sneak ahead of ...[text shortened]... which are 'good' - this can be the basis of your decision making when considering exchanges)
    I apologise. It came across like that.

I only meant to confirm the above poster before me that the values of pieces totally depends on the nature of position.

Nothing more, I did not mean to ridicule but give an extreme example but again I'm sorry.
  11. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '08 05:32

I only meant to confirm the above poster before me that the values of pieces totally depends on the nature of position.

Nothing more, I did not mean to ridicule but give an extreme example but again I'm sorry.
    forgiven!
    *hugs* 😉
  12. Earth
    Moves
    17 Feb '08 10:46

No problem, I was a bit harsh myself! The example you gave does illustrate the point well 🙂
  13. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '08 10:53
    usually B+N are a bit better, sometimes 2 ns can disturb each other in ocupping best squares...of course, it depends on position...
  14. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 10:42
    i would have said two of the same piece will always be stronger, for example, two bishops can occupy the entire black and white diagonal squares....

personally i would go for two knights, only because i hate playing against knights in a closing game
  15. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    18 Feb '08 10:481 edit
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    Good point - but how many people have actually ever mated anybody using just bishop and knight? Not many I suspect.

I've never actually seen this happen in a competitive game. Mind you I play much more club chess than tournament chess - and the adjudication possibility will limit the number of games that could ever get to B+N mate.

Mating with B & N is possible and, provided you know the technique relatively easy. Mating with 2 N is impossible unless your opponent has a P when in certain circumstances it is possible but extremely difficult even for a GM. Anyone doing that here is likely to be using a tablebase whereas that certainly could not be said of a B & N ending.

Of course if there are pawns on the board it depends on the position and whether the B is good or bad. Generally Ns can work better is a Closed position and Bs in an Open one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree