White to mate in 3 (SERIOUSLY HARD!!!)

White to mate in 3 (SERIOUSLY HARD!!!)

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
31 Jul 06

Originally posted by marinakatomb
Here's the solution 😉

There are two solutions but only one first move!

1.Rb8!!

If ..Rxb8 then 2.Qh3+ ..Kg1 3.Bd4#

This line works for any black move that takes the rook off the d-file, however, black has another defense...

1..Rf8

One would assume that the previous mate still applies, but it no longer works in three as black c ...[text shortened]... ptures then Rh8#, if he moves the rook then Rf1#

A lovely puzzle, i think you'll all agree.
Don't forget 1...Re8 2.Ne7! or 2.Bd4!

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
31 Jul 06

Originally posted by BLReid
Very mature.
Mature people stay out of beefs between others.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
31 Jul 06

Ok, here's my shot: 1 N-e3 threatens Q-g2 # R-d2 stops that.
2 N-d4 threatens R-h6 R-h2 stops that and
Q-g2#
3 Q-e1 # (knight covers g2, rook blocks h2)

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
31 Jul 06

Originally posted by sonhouse
Ok, here's my shot: 1 N-e3 threatens Q-g2 # R-d2 stops that.
2 N-d4 threatens R-h6 R-h2 stops that and
Q-g2#
3 Q-e1 # (knight covers g2, rook blocks h2)
2...Rh2?? is a mistake. White's 'threatened' 3.Rh6+ is not mate, so there is no reason to defend against it.

Footscrazy

Moves
31 Jul 06
1 edit

don't mind me.... didn't see all the extra pages...

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
31 Jul 06
3 edits

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
Don't forget 1...Re8 2.Ne7! or 2.Bd4!
Yes that is another solution i suppose, but once the rook is off the d-file Qh3+ ..Kg1 and the bishop mates. I like Ne7 though, that is definitely a third solution, well spotted! 🙂

It's interesting to see how badly engines spot zugzwang! The thing that makes this puzzle so hard is the fact that you need to find zugzwang TWICE! Normally composed position like this aren't very useful for chess improvement but this one is an exception in my opinion as the counter intuitive nature of the position offers the solver an inside out perspective that is extremely rare in an actual game situation. I'd love to meet the person who invented it. Apparently it was taken from a street hustler in the far east somewhere. If you could solve it you got a free packet of cigarettes. 😵

EDIT: Actually you're right, after 1..Re8, 2.Ne7!! is essential as 2.Qh3+ ..Kg8 3.Bd4+ fails because of ..Re3. Very nice. 😀

MS

Under Cover

Moves
31 Jul 06

Mature people stay out of beefs between others.
About as intelligent a response as I've come to expect from you. Keep up the good work!

m1

Moves
31 Jul 06

the answer is:
1. Nf3 Rh8
2. Re5

forced mate

or

1. Nf3 Rd7
2. Re5

forced mate

this took me 15 minuates by the way not trying to brag or something oh and i didnt look at all the posts so i do know if someone did it already

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
31 Jul 06

Originally posted by moon 111
the answer is:
1. Nf3 Rh8
2. Re5

forced mate

or

1. Nf3 Rd7
2. Re5

forced mate

this took me 15 minuates by the way not trying to brag or something oh and i didnt look at all the posts so i do know if someone did it already
Well it took me three days and neither of your answers are correct. 😉

See top of page for solutions...

m1

Moves
31 Jul 06

why? try to prove me wrong! or i that from the site?

well anyway why doenst mine work??????

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
31 Jul 06

Originally posted by BLReid
About as intelligent a response as I've come to expect from you. Keep up the good work!
There is great wisdom in my response. You should take it to heart.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
31 Jul 06

Originally posted by marinakatomb
Yes that is another solution i suppose, but once the rook is off the d-file Qh3+ ..Kg1 and the bishop mates. I like Ne7 though, that is definitely a third solution, well spotted! 🙂

It's interesting to see how badly engines spot zugzwang! The thing that makes this puzzle so hard is the fact that you need to find zugzwang TWICE! Normally composed posi ...[text shortened]... er 1..Re8, 2.Ne7!! is essential as 2.Qh3+ ..Kg8 3.Bd4+ fails because of ..Re3. Very nice. 😀
What did you think of my improved version of the composition?

It eliminates the dual after 1.Rb8 Re8. In the original version, 2.Bd4 and 2.Ne7 both work.

T

Moves
31 Jul 06
1 edit

Originally posted by moon 111
the answer is:
1. Nf3...

oh and i didnt look at all the posts...
Pity you didn't look at the first one.

MS

Under Cover

Moves
31 Jul 06

There is great wisdom in my response. You should take it to heart.
I doubt that there's any widsom in anything you have to offer, based on the samples you've provided in this thread. At the very least, there's nothing of value that you have to teach me. But feel free to keep making a jerk of yourself.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
31 Jul 06

What did you think of my improved version of the composition?

It eliminates the dual after 1.Rb8 Re8. In the original version, 2.Bd4 and 2.Ne7 both work.
I totally agree, the extra pieces are there to confuse. I would love to know the number of mates in 4!! They must run into the 30s-50s!!