White to mate in 3 (SERIOUSLY HARD!!!)

White to mate in 3 (SERIOUSLY HARD!!!)

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a

Moves
29 Jul 06

Originally posted by marinakatomb
AHHHAAAA, we have an engine user!! WELL DONE 😀😀
Why doesn't 1. Nf5 work?

T

Moves
29 Jul 06
2 edits

AHHHAAAA, we have an engine user!!
So the world is made up of users and losers, is it?? 😠

h

Indiana

Moves
29 Jul 06

Originally posted by abejnood
Why doesn't 1. Nf5 work?
i think i see what you're saying and i cant see a flaw in it at this moment, but i'm sure someone else may find one. 🙄

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
29 Jul 06

AHHHAAAA, we have an engine user!! WELL DONE 😀😀
Oops, you screwed up. Public cheating accusations aren't allowed in the forums.

I've never claimed credit for a computer's solution. I'm just a damn good solver. Perhaps you'd like to explain how I solve series problems, proof games and retrograde problems that computers aren't capable of solving?!

Be advised your action WILL be reported to moderators. Have a nice day.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
29 Jul 06
3 edits

This is as economical as I can get it:

MS

Under Cover

Moves
29 Jul 06

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
Oops, you screwed up. Public cheating accusations aren't allowed in the forums.

I've never claimed credit for a computer's solution. I'm just a damn good solver. Perhaps you'd like to explain how I solve series problems, proof games and retrograde problems that computers aren't capable of solving?!

Be advised your action WILL be reported to moderators. Have a nice day.
He was having a little fun. I didn't read that as a cheat accusation, and it certainly wasn't anything close to accusing you of using an engine in a game.

MS

Under Cover

Moves
29 Jul 06

Originally posted by abejnood
Why doesn't 1. Nf5 work?
Rd7 and white can't mate in 2 more moves.
See BigDoggProblem's solution for the correct answer to get the idea. All other moves fail.

h

Indiana

Moves
29 Jul 06

Originally posted by BLReid
Rd7 and white can't mate in 2 more moves.
See BigDoggProblem's solution for the correct answer to get the idea. All other moves fail.
and what about Ne3 after that? doesnt that work?

T

Moves
29 Jul 06

Originally posted by hypothetical
and what about Ne3 after that? doesnt that work?
No. 😴

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
29 Jul 06

He was having a little fun. I didn't read that as a cheat accusation, and it certainly wasn't anything close to accusing you of using an engine in a game.
If a person would use an engine to solve problems for them, what's stopping them from using it to play games for them?

MS

Under Cover

Moves
29 Jul 06

If a person would use an engine to solve problems for them, what's stopping them from using it to play games for them?
Quite a bit, as they are entirely different concepts. But more specifically, there was nothing in his post that implied that you use engines to play your games. He was just being funny, go with it.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
29 Jul 06

Quite a bit, as they are entirely different concepts. But more specifically, there was nothing in his post that implied that you use engines to play your games. He was just being funny, go with it.
Ethically, if someone has no problem using a computer for solving, they probably wouldn't have a problem with using a computer for playing, either.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
29 Jul 06

Ethically, if someone has no problem using a computer for solving, they probably wouldn't have a problem with using a computer for playing, either.
Earlier in this thread someone said that the best Fritz can come up with is a mate in 4. No one shouted engine (ab)user then.

I see I fundamental difference between using Fritz to help you learn tactics and find ways to identify mistakes, improve and find wins than to use Fritz to actually play a game for you.

What is wrong if you play a game and lose. You know where your mistake was but not exactly why. So you put the game into Fritz which finds an improvement for you. A few games later you play that inprovement in a new game and go on to win. Is this cheating? Surely not! Isn't it just the same as going through the game with your local club champion and having him help with analysis and finding the improvement or even placing it on the forum here and finding ways to play better. Either way you have had external help to improve your game but you did not have help in the game. There is a key difference!

Its just the same with this problem. Using a computer to help solve it, provided you do not claim the solution as your own is not cheating so why shout about it. Computers aren't infallable but if there is a mate in 3 then I'm surprised Fritz can only come up with mate in 4. perhaps someone can explain why this is so?

DC
The Mighty

Rocky Mountains

Moves
29 Jul 06

Ne3.

m

Moves
29 Jul 06
1 edit

Ne8, often followed by Be4, black can't cover Rh7 and Qg1
Edit: Nah, the rook can still block on 4th rank after Rd7 and Rxe5