1. Maryland, US
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 16:55
    Originally posted by sannevssr
    I asked him at the airport: "are you car jackin? (karjakin) and he replied yes, later on I found out that we were on the same plane but not sittin very close to him:'(My gf talked to his mother though, tatiana or tanyas I think, she was very nice,
    Karjakin was a typical 14 year old, very shy
    Karjakin is playing Topalov right now (I'm watching it live) and he seems to be holding his own. It looks drawish to me (black possibly a little better) but I'm trying to do several things at once right now so it isn't exactly getting my full attention.
  2. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 16:58
    Isn't it obvious?

Von Bardeleben🙄
  3. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 17:04
    Originally posted by JDChess
    Karjakin is playing Topalov right now (I'm watching it live) and he seems to be holding his own. It looks drawish to me (black possibly a little better) but I'm trying to do several things at once right now so it isn't exactly getting my full attention.
    After whites 41st move Karjakin has definetly better position (if not winning).
  4. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 17:05
    To quote myself in the other thread on this...

"Whats with all the predictions of KRamnik winning? His style just isn't suited to winning tournaments. That requires lots of decisive games. Kramnik is more of a match player who is happy to take draws until he sees a small mistake which he pounces on and slowly converts to a win (an excellent match strategy). That isn't to say he can't play more aggressivly, but historically he doesn't. Topalov's game is much more suited to winning a tournament like this. That said, I am going with a dark horse of either Aronian or Svidler pulling it out."

I think Svidler has the better chance of my favorites, but I like Aronian's game the best. I think it would be great to see anyone other than Kramnik or Topalov win.
  5. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 17:101 edit
    Originally posted by zebano
    To quote myself in the other thread on this...

"Whats with all the predictions of KRamnik winning? His style just isn't suited to winning tournaments. That requires lots of decisive games. Kramnik is more of a match player who is happy to take draws until he sees a small mistake which he pounces on and slowly converts to a win (an excellent match strategy) ame the best. I think it would be great to see anyone other than Kramnik or Topalov win.
    I` dont believe tha Svidler will win - he`s not able to get higher then he is. Also I` dont believe to Topalov and Anand - their best days are gone. But Aronian is more real pretendent to 1st place - he and Kramnik are 2 main pretendents. But anyway I would bet on Kramnik.

upd. I forgot about Radjabov - he`s third real pretendent to 1st place. He`s very talanted and he plays very good for a while.
  6. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 17:191 edit
    Originally posted by Korch
    After whites 41st move Karjakin has definetly better position (if not winning).
    After 49th move rook endgame must be winning for Karjakin.
  7. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 17:49
    OMG Karjakin offered draw in winning endgame and Topalov agreed (of course).
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 17:54
    Originally posted by Korch
    OMG Karjakin offered draw in winning endgame and Topalov agreed (of course).
    I saw it live too, I was very disappointed - mostly because that was the only game still in progress and he decided for a draw by perpetual. 😠

It would have been great to see Karjakin score the upset.
  9. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 18:041 edit
    I'm no master, but from that position I thought White could go for a win and keep the draw safely in hand. Oh well, I suppose if you're seventeen years old and playing the highest rated player in the world you're allowed to chicken out.
  10. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 20:04
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I'm no master, but from that position I thought White could go for a win and keep the draw safely in hand. Oh well, I suppose if you're seventeen years old and playing the highest rated player in the world you're allowed to chicken out.vor
    Yeah, I don't blame him, but apparently h5 was the move in that position.

Radjabov looks very good right now though, possibly the favorite to win?
  11. Joined
    30 Nov '06
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 20:19
    Yeah that kings indian is really payin off for Radjabov (Kasparov will be proud)
  12. London
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 17:43
    I think Topalov will win this tournament.

He has a lot to prove, he will have recuperated from the World Championship loss, and his aggressive style is more likely to clean up against the weaker players.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree