1. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 17:15
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    Bishop =2.5 + 1.6 (long-range bonus) - 1.7 (colour weakness) + 1.0 (skewering&pinning ability) + 0.7 (extra bonus for having a bishop pair)

Knight =2 + 1.9 (only piece to jump-bonus) - 0.5 (poor range) + 0.6 (forking ability) - 0.3 (poor defending ability against advanced passed pawns)

equals:

Bishop without its counterpart=3.4
    Bishop with its counterpart=4.1
    Knight=3.7
    This doesn't seem just a little contrived to you?
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 17:181 edit
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    - 0.3 (poor defending ability against advanced passed pawns)
    Isn't the knight the best blockader of passed pawns? 😕

D
  3. back in business
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 17:24
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Isn't the knight the best blockader of past pawns? 😕

D
    depends. usually knights can blockade well, but not always. Like if white has a pawn on a6 and black has a knight on b7 there is no way black can stop the pawn. Bishop on the other hand can always stop a passed pawn (which is two ranks or more away from promotion) on empty board.
  4. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 19:38
    I would say they are equal overall... but lets make a list.

It takes one move for a knight to attack the center from the beginning of the game, but it takes 2 moves for a bishop. Score one for the knight.

It takes 2 moves (from move #0) for a knight to attack the enemy base (the rank ahead of the king) It takes 2 moves for a bishop to attack the enemy base. Equal.

The bishop can move and still protect the same squares once it moves, the knight can only protect the square it was once occupying. Score one for the bishop.

A knight can attack the queen without being attacked by the queen. Score one for the knight.

A bishop can pin pieces to the king so they cannot move. Score one for the bishop.

Both pieces can fork, but the knight can fork more pieces at once. Score one for the knight.

Once the board opens up the bishop can traverse the entire board with ease. Score one for the bishop.

So far it is equal at 3 points each.

In a closed position a knight can hop over pieces in its way, the bishop cannot. Score one for the knight.

A bishop can attack the enemy from a distance, causing weakening pawn moves. Score one for the bishop.

A knight can move on both colour of squares, the bishop cannot. Score one for the knight.

Two bishops and a king can checkmate, Two knights and a king cannot. Score one for the bishop.

So we have a tie 5 advantages each.

If anyone has any other advantages for either piece please post them.
  5. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 20:04
    Sigh. All things are positionally relative. Here (from move 38) my knight is incomparably stronger than the bishop because I was able to post my pawns and play on the opposite colour. Game 2588891
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 20:19
    Thank you for all the replies everyone. It apperas there is no consensus and I am more confused than when I started this thread.

I'm so confused that I think I will quit this and take up checkers...😀
  7. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 20:28
    Originally posted by bishops r cool
    Thank you for all the replies everyone. It apperas there is no consensus and I am more confused than when I started this thread.

I'm so confused that I think I will quit this and take up checkers...😀
    There is a consensus. Here it is:

There are two kinds of people in the world, those that think the superiority of the knight vs. the bishop depends on the position, and those who aren't very good at chess.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 20:321 edit
    checkers is easy. Every piece has the same value.
  9. Joined
    01 Feb '07
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 20:35
    checkers is easy. Every piece has the same value.
    ...but which are better? The red pieces or the black pieces?
  10. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 20:36
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
    There is a consensus. Here it is:

There are two kinds of people in the world, those that think the superiority of the knight vs. the bishop depends on the position, and those who aren't very good at chess.
    There is only one position from which any regular chess game will start, and from this position it is my belief that the knight and bishop are equal.

This doesn't make me bad at chess.
  11. Joined
    17 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 20:372 edits
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Apologies in advance to those who have already seen this (I've posted it before), but this is my favorite example of a ridiculously outnumbered pawn forcing a win.

[fen]8/8/8/1p6/1pp5/brpp4/1pprp2P/qnkbK3 w KQkq - 0 1[/fen]
    White to mate in 13
    White will not be able to win this game, unless black allows it of course.
  12. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 20:48
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    There is only one position from which any regular chess game will start, and from this position it is my belief that the knight and bishop are equal.

This doesn't make me bad at chess.
    No is doesn't and I didn't say that. Maybe they are equal, maybe the bishop is superior, maybe the knight is superior, maybe one bishop and one knighr are supreior to two knights, maybe not, maybe they're equal. All I said is that position is what matters.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 20:53
    Originally posted by Lieutenant Fatman
    White will not be able to win this game, unless black allows it of course.
    white WILL win this game no matter what. All that black can do is move the queen back and forth.
  14. Joined
    01 Feb '07
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 21:00
    white WILL win this game no matter what. All that black can do is move the queen back and forth.
    Sorry if I'm a little "slow" this afternoon but is it White to move (h8=Q) and we're looking at the board from Blacks side?
  15. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 21:04
    Originally posted by 93confirmed
    Sorry if I'm a little "slow" this afternoon but is it White to move (h8=Q) and we're looking at the board from Blacks side?
    No, we're looking from white's side, which is why black is dead in the water.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree