1. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Nov '11 22:571 edit
    I cannot understand it, without any care for the principles of chess players do the
    craziest of things, they ignore development, they make crazy pawn moves up the side
    of the board, the play their bishops where they can be kicked away next move, they
    ignore development and push five pawns in a row, they have no concept of strategy,
    they are materialists and play for cheap tricks and the most annoying thing ever is that
    they win! How can that be? surely if there is any justice they should be punished? but
    noooo, silly attacks are all the rage, i dunno anything, but i know i suck at blitz. every
    time i do a Nimzoveitch, dance upon the table and scream, why must i lose to this idiot!
  2. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 00:00
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I cannot understand it, without any care for the principles of chess players do the
    craziest of things, they ignore development, they make crazy pawn moves up the side
    of the board, the play their bishops where they can be kicked away next move, they
    ignore development and push five pawns in a row, they have no concept of strategy,
    they are m ...[text shortened]... every
    time i do a Nimzoveitch, dance upon the table and scream, why must i lose to this idiot!
    Watch good blitz players play good blitz. Imbalance is the key to both clock and board initiative when there is no time.

Q
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 00:31
    Suggestion: learn from the losses.

Go over the games with a fine-toothed comb and see what went wrong. If their attack was really unsound, there ought to be a refutation. Sometimes the answer is countering a flank attack with a blow in the center. If you are ahead in development, opening the center may prove very effective. Sometimes the answer is taking the sacrificed material and then weathering the storm. Sometimes you return the sacrificed material [some, or all of it] to kill their attack. Sometimes the answer is delaying castling. If they start a pawn storm prematurely, castle on the other side of the board. And sometimes the answer is starting a 'silly attack' of your own! Again, if you are ahead in development, your attack may prove more effective.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 09:061 edit
    Originally posted by PhySiQ
    Watch good blitz players play good blitz. Imbalance is the key to both clock and board initiative when there is no time.

Q
    mmmm, ok, ill kablitz a little instead today, thanks Q
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 09:09
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Suggestion: learn from the losses.

Go over the games with a fine-toothed comb and see what went wrong. If their attack was really unsound, there ought to be a refutation. Sometimes the answer is countering a flank attack with a blow in the center. If you are ahead in development, opening the center may prove very effective. Sometimes the answer is tak ...[text shortened]... ck' of your own! Again, if you are ahead in development, your attack may prove more effective.
    this is great advice also, when one is under time pressure the tendency can be simply
    to look for moves rather than gather ones thoughts as to the strategic elements in the
    position, thus I end up forgetting about the broader picture, thanks SG
  6. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 04:15
    It difficult for many players to make the transition from the slow pace of correspondince chess to the blitz game. I've found that (like many other things), more time spent with blitz will cause you to improve. The only question is: Is blitz worth spending time on??
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 08:35
    Originally posted by bill718
    It difficult for many players to make the transition from the slow pace of correspondince chess to the blitz game. I've found that (like many other things), more time spent with blitz will cause you to improve. The only question is: Is blitz worth spending time on??
    yes i think it is Bill, CC is the art of analysis, where as blitz is the art of playing me
    thinks. What it really comes down to though, is i am just an adrenalin junkie!
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 20:122 edits
    Originally posted by bill718
    I started up playing strictly CC, and blitz has helped me quite a bit. they complement each other. CC is great for many things, but as the games last for months and years you tend to lose sight of the big picture. the games become disjointed separate studies (in your head) instead of one single continuous games where everything affects everything. also blitz forces you to focus on basics and practical things, as you simply don't have time for sorting out complex structures. no matter how 'correct' that complex idea might be.
  9. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 20:55
    yes i think it is Bill, CC is the art of analysis, where as blitz is the art of playing me
    thinks. What it really comes down to though, is i am just an adrenalin junkie!
    I do enjoy Rapidplay O.T.B. for the adenaline, the difference I feel is that quickplay being more instinctive. Swiss gambit makes a notable point about peice imbalance a fantastic element to wrong footing your oponent.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 05:13
    What time settings do you play by?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 07:17
    Originally posted by Hells Caretaker
    I do enjoy Rapidplay O.T.B. for the adenaline, the difference I feel is that quickplay being more instinctive. Swiss gambit makes a notable point about peice imbalance a fantastic element to wrong footing your oponent.
    yes there's nothing quite like it 🙂
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 07:211 edit
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I started up playing strictly CC, and blitz has helped me quite a bit. they complement each other. CC is great for many things, but as the games last for months and years you tend to lose sight of the big picture. the games become disjointed separate studies (in your head) instead of one single continuous games where everything affects everything. also blit time for sorting out complex structures. no matter how 'correct' that complex idea might be.
    blitz forces you to focus on basics and practical things,

yes this is an excellent observation, too many times our minds are filled with too much
    knowledge and it clouds our vision, we make elaborate plans and far reaching strategic
    schemes only to forget about the immediate practicalities. Chess can be complicated
    enough without us making it more so me thinks.
  13. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 08:25
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    What time settings do you play by?
    30 minutes each for all moves.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 22:12
    Blitz is bad chess. It is much more like coin flip chess than CC because you simply don't have time to see where certain moves might end up.

Sometimes I totally suck at blitz and sometimes I rock! Or of course it could be that sometimes my opponent sucks, but it sure makes me look like I rock! 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree