1. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    23 Dec '12 07:36
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I don't see how one can learn much chess in an hour or two. You can't even learn much ches psychology in an hour or two. 😏
    Chess is as much self knowledge as it is any thing else.
    I'll psychology you in a minute Ronnie.
  2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    23 Dec '12 07:37
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Chess is as much self knowledge as it is any thing else.
    I'll psychology you in a minute Ronnie.
    Psychology
    Told ya
  3. e4
    Moves
    23 Dec '12 12:00
    Fat Lady is correct.

Average players get stuck in rut, to some it's a narrow rut, (guilty) to others
    it can be broad but sooner or later they hit a ceiling.

To some this ceiling is made of glass and they can smash their way through,
    to others it's concrete and they keep bumping their head every time they try.
    (though in theory the more they bump their head the thinner the concrete gets.)

If you really want to be a very good player and are willing to put in the time
    to study and play in tournaments/league/club matches then it will happen.
    Playing and playing and playing is a proven way to improve.
    Having on tap a circle of stronger players to feed of will help, you can learn a
    lot from honest face to face tuition/comments.

Hi Fat Lady.

"...I'm certainly a 180+ player and feel confident about getting at least a draw
    against anyone below International Master level."

Cassia reads this forum mate. She reads every forum, every blog, every book....

You and I have been on the track long enough to know you cannot say that.
    You can think it, but you must never put it in print.

And you and I know that you will now come a cropper against some 1600 player
    for tempting fate. You may be one Cassia's favourite sons but every now and
    then she will clip you around the earhole.
  4. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    23 Dec '12 13:371 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    "...I'm certainly a 180+ player and feel confident about getting at least a draw
    against anyone below International Master level."

Cassia reads this forum mate. She reads every forum, every blog, every book....

You and I have been on the track long enough to know you cannot say that.
    You can think it, but you must never put it in print.

And ...[text shortened]... be one Cassia's favourite sons but every now and
    then she will clip you around the earhole.
    I worded that badly. I didn't mean to imply that I don't have any bad games against lowly rated players. Earlier this season I got completely outplayed by someone in their mid seventies who has a grade of 128 and I was lucky to get a draw. And to rub salt into the wound he lost to someone graded lower than 100 a few days later. Just as we all like to think we are six degrees of separation through won games from beating Kasparov, we are also probably six degrees of separation through lost games from losing to a tub of lard.

Anyway, what I meant to say was that I feel like I have chances against anyone below International Master level, which certainly wasn't true when I relied entirely on unsound attacks and dodgy sacrifices. I have precious few wins against players graded over 210, but I probably draw more than I lose against that sort of opposition.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Dec '12 13:48
    I believe psychology plays an important part in chess regardless of what people may say. Even a grandmaster can get beat by a 1500 rated player under the right psychology. The following link shows this happened to GM Walter Browne a few years ago.

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/gm-walter-browne-vs-francisco-baltier---the-true-story

I am also a 1500 rated player that has beaten a candidate master years ago. This year on my return to OTB chess I beat a 1900 rated player and loss to a 900 rated player. So one can never be so sure of a win based on chess rating along. One must never underestimate the effects of psychology.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Dec '12 15:19
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I believe psychology plays an important part in chess regardless of what people may say. Even a grandmaster can get beat by a 1500 rated player under the right psychology. The following link shows this happened to GM Walter Browne a few years ago.

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/gm-walter-browne-vs-francisco-baltier---the-true-story

I am als ...[text shortened]... e of a win based on chess rating along. One must never underestimate the effects of psychology.
    playing cheap tricks is going to do nothing for your chess.
  7. Joined
    31 Mar '12
    Moves
    23 Dec '12 19:08
    might win you some games though 🙂
  8. e4
    Moves
    23 Dec '12 20:50
    Define "Cheap trick."
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Dec '12 21:511 edit
    Originally posted by simonwells999
    might win you some games though 🙂
    yes it might, but still, such lasting joy shall be fleeting, like snowfalls upon a river a
    moment white then gone forver!
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Dec '12 21:531 edit
    Define "Cheap trick."
    The Taxler is a cheap trick! The fishing pole variation of the Ruy is a cheap trick! everything except 1.c4 is a cheap trick! 😛
  11. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    23 Dec '12 22:46
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The Taxler is a cheap trick! The fishing pole variation of the Ruy is a cheap trick! everything except 1.c4 is a cheap trick! 😛
    May Brian Wall have mercy on your soul. 😞
  12. Joined
    03 Dec '12
    Moves
    23 Dec '12 23:29
    "Why do we find it hard to improve?"

3 come to mind above all else- Age,Time,and Ego.
  13. Joined
    31 Mar '12
    Moves
    24 Dec '12 12:19
    i find it hard to improve because i have to deeply look at my games and admit i have character traits that stop me improving, it takes a lot to admit your own weaknesses. mine are (character) passive, unagressive thinking and (chess) calculation abilities. its different for all of us. study your own games deeply and very critically(esp the wins!). thats the start to improving, but your character traits are the toughest, imo, to make strong because they are who we are!! i have to constantly remind myself of my character flaws to improve. on studying books , imo, get rid of them opening books! all you need in study books is endgame knowledge.
  14. e4
    Moves
    24 Dec '12 13:13
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The fishing pole variation of the Ruy is a cheap trick!
    The Fishing Pole Trap.

The top angler on here appears to be ZonaGrad.
    He has cast his rod 43 times. Winning 22 games as Black and drawing 4.

A few examples.

jb70 - ZonaGrad RHP 2009

Sometimes not taking the Knight has it's problems.

democrite - ZonaGrad RHP 2009

atlantean - ZonaGrad RHP 2010

Where we see White making up an off the cuff defence which enables him
    to take the Knight. Unfortunatley he wants more and goes chasing pawns.
    Black misses a simple mate in two but won anyway.
    (Pity I could have a used a '...the one that got away gag.'😉

15. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Dec '12 14:092 edits
    The Fishing Pole Trap.

The top angler on here appears to be ZonaGrad.
    He has cast his rod 43 times. Winning 22 games as Black and drawing 4.

A few examples.

jb70 - ZonaGrad RHP 2009

[pgn]
    1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 Nf6 4. O-O Ng4 {The Fishing Pole. A hook is baited and dangled infront of White.} 5. h3 {The natural response.} 5... h5 {The na Nd4 13. Bxg4 Bxg4 14. Qxg4 Qxg4 15. Nxg4 Rxh1+ 16. Kxh1 Nxc2 {Black went on to win.}[/pgn]
    there are not a few games of relatively weaker players giving masters some degree of
    trouble with the line GP. I don't know what the refutation is, if there is one, probably
    something simple like Nc3, d3 and Bg5 forcing ...f6 and blocking the queens diagonal
    and then playing h3 as you hint at in your text.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree