Why do we find it hard to improve?

Why do we find it hard to improve?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W

Moves
30 Dec 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
I was listening to a Magnus interview in which he stated that there are many people who know a lot about chess but cannot seem to improve, why is that the case?
Because at some point improving is difficult,we're way too lazy and we have no clue what we're doing.

Solve those 3 issues and you'll become a chess god.

Although I have an inkling some talent might also be needed 😉

k
Mr Ring Rusty

Wales

Moves
30 Dec 12

Everyone has a ceiling of ability. We can extend it a little with work and experience but it will always be a limiting factor. I would personally say that my ceiling was about 2200 but I've know others who have spent a lifetime as 1200-1300 but they were happy with their standard of chess.

We can't all be good at everything.

k

Moves
31 Dec 12

If it turns into work why play, apply the 10,000 hour rule and we might all be master standard. Top class chess seems to me to be nearly mechanical , blitz and bullet chess on the other hand more creative and fun (just started playing and getting walloped but a great diversion after work and on the holidays even if I come nearly last in playchess tourneys) . I'm not really a chess player I've only played a handful of games , but i see no enjoyment in memorizing hundreds of different lines and variations or doing complicated puzzles , but thats why I Won't improve .

AL

Moves
31 Dec 12

AL

Moves
31 Dec 12

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
01 Jan 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Pacifique
Because of not using Analysis Board. 😉
The RHP anaylze board is surely a good way to improve your play on RHP even if it does nothing to improve your chess knowledge. I failed to use the RHP analyze board with one of my games with kingshill and I am sure it cost me the game. Instead I only used one of the correspondence chess boards that I have to record the moves and then I analyzed directly from it. I sometimes like to do this because instead of sitting at the computer I can lay on the bed and relax while I ponder over the position. But in the process, I failed to make one of kingshill's moves on the board, so I analyzed a different position from the one in the actual game. This resulted in me giving away a pawn. If I had used the RHP analyze board it would have given me the actual position and returned to it no matter how many variations I decided to check out. After that time, I am always sure to check out both boards to make sure I have the correct position.

So yes, by all means, use the RHP analyze board feature to improve your play on RHP only however. It has not done anything to increase my visualization over the board and may have made me too lazy to try to think more than a couple moves ahead OTB. Of course, under certain OTB time controls, it may not be wise to spend too much time thinking ahead anyway.

s

Moves
02 Jan 13

So yes, by all means, use the RHP analyze board feature to improve your play on RHP only however. It has not done anything to increase my visualization over the board and may have made me too lazy to try to think more than a couple moves ahead OTB. Of course, under certain OTB time controls, it may not be wise to spend too much time thinking ahead anyway.(RJ)
I try and must resist the temptation to move the pieces around on the analysis board, so its the same as an otb game, this way I hope to improve calculation skills, which to be honest is the main reason I play here.

W

Moves
02 Jan 13

Originally posted by simonwells999
So yes, by all means, use the RHP analyze board feature to improve your play on RHP only however. It has not done anything to increase my visualization over the board and may have made me too lazy to try to think more than a couple moves ahead OTB. Of course, under certain OTB time controls, it may not be wise to spend too much time thinking ahead anyw ...[text shortened]... his way I hope to improve calculation skills, which to be honest is the main reason I play here.
if you don't move the pieces then why use it at all?

Just look at the regular board and save yourself a click 😀

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Jan 13

So yes, by all means, use the RHP analyze board feature to improve your play on RHP only however. It has not done anything to increase my visualization over the board and may have made me too lazy to try to think more than a couple moves ahead OTB. Of course, under certain OTB time controls, it may not be wise to spend too much time thinking ahead anyw ...[text shortened]... his way I hope to improve calculation skills, which to be honest is the main reason I play here.
If you continue to do that, I predict your RHP rating will remain around 1900. 😏

s

Moves
02 Jan 13

You may well be correct, but my calculation skills will improve - so I dont completely agree with you that I'll plateau at 1900. It will just be a very slow improvement - especially when I hit the 100% engine sharks, god bless them.

(in reply to RJ hinds)

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
02 Jan 13

You may well be correct, but my calculation skills will improve - so I dont completely agree with you that I'll plateau at 1900. It will just be a very slow improvement - especially when I hit the 100% engine sharks, god bless them.

(in reply to RJ hinds)
If you are still young enough you may be right. But for an old dog like myself I am calculated out. I got to see the positions. 😏

The drunk knight

Stuck on g1

Moves
02 Jan 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
If you are still young enough you may be right. But for an old dog like myself I am calculated out. I got to see the positions. 😏
Tell that to Korchnoi!

rc

Moves
04 Jan 13

thanks to everyone who commented, i apologise or not having replied at the time for my internet was down. It appears to me that much time is wasted on passive learning, thus its easy to accumulate knowledge about chess which contributes nothing towards our playing strength.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Jan 13

Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
Tell that to Korchnoi!
Well, ViKtor Korchnoi started playing chess as a child and already had his calculating ability when I was just starting to learn chess during the days that Bobby Fischer was beginning his challenge to play fo the world chess title. I never attained Korchnoi's calculating ability and I also had a 30 year absence from chess. But I still doubt that Korchnoi has the same calculating ability of the former days.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Jan 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
thanks to everyone who commented, i apologise or not having replied at the time for my internet was down. It appears to me that much time is wasted on passive learning, thus its easy to accumulate knowledge about chess which contributes nothing towards our playing strength.
You think? 😏