1. Joined
    12 Nov '11
    Moves
    11 Dec '11 14:35
    Not to sound arrogant but why dent people resign when they know the game is as good as lost.
    Amongst the few tht I have played I ve noticed the players with high ratings do resign when they know the advantage clearly lies with their opponent ,forget about a piece lead .But it’s the 1300 and below who continue to play on ,rather than resign and go in for a rematch. I am not talking about cases to close to call .I am talking about end games where the opponent is a rook and few pawns ahead or maybe even a queen.
    Is this just hope that making them do this or the thought that the opponent might get caught up with something and the time bank might lapse out ??I am new here so don’t really know much about the etiquettes here.
    The biggest pain of all is that not being a subscribing member I don’t get to play more games until i am done with my current games.

Sorry about the rant
  2. Standard memberTimmyBx
    TacticsTime.com
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Moves
    11 Dec '11 15:00
    One thing that you can do to speed it up when this happens is to put in a lot of conditional moves. So if the King has 3 legal moves to get out of check, make a conditional move for all 3. Most of the time, the person will play against the conditional move as well. This will end the game twice as fast.

Some people have learned that 1 out of 100 times they will be able to get a swindle of some sort - a win on time, a stalemate, etc. It does happen. Dragging out games will get you more points than resigning early in the long run. Opponents die of old age, lose interest, etc.

Some people also like to rack up as many moves as possible, since this is reflected in the color of their star, and a good way to do this is to drag out games.

If you are wanting more than 6 games, I would consider getting a paid membership if you can afford it. That way you won't be worried about these people who don't resign, and can start more games than you can handle 🙂
  3. Wat?
    Moves
    11 Dec '11 15:47
    Some players, if not many, and even high rated players would like to see how exactly their opponent is going to see the end game off, and learn from it.

Much depends upon the complexity of the end game.

Some players also want to give the 'pleasure' of their opponent mating, a close reciprocal of resigning. I have in-game conversations, either offering a resignation or my wanting to learn from a higher rated opponent's endgame.

It isn't all negative, not resigning. There are some reasons for not, as desrcibed above.

If an opponent has 3 Queens, and I have a king and rook - then of course I don't need to play on. If there is a pawn up, and a better position for my opponent that I see as my game lost then I WILL usually play on to see their competency, and their endgame strategy that I may learn from. For many, continuing is a learning process, assuming they are recording and making use of what they experience.

-m.
  4. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    11 Dec '11 16:10
    I think the fact that the site rewards people for making lots of moves (MAP of the month, the coloured stars, etc...) encourages people to play on in lost positions just to top up their moves. I find red star players generally do this as a matter of course...
  5. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    11 Dec '11 18:05
    Originally posted by ajsaxin
    Not to sound arrogant but why dent people resign when they know the game is as good as lost.
    Amongst the few tht I have played I ve noticed the players with high ratings do resign when they know the advantage clearly lies with their opponent ,forget about a piece lead .But it’s the 1300 and below who continue to play on ,rather than resign and go in for a ...[text shortened]... er I don’t get to play more games until i am done with my current games.

Sorry about the rant
    Maybe they're so impressed with your beautiful chess set, they just want to play a few more moves with it. 😉
  6. Joined
    12 Nov '11
    Moves
    11 Dec '11 18:42
    iOriginally posted by ChessPraxis
    Maybe they're so impressed with your beautiful chess set, they just want to play a few more moves with it. 😉
    But then I want others to have the same opportunity...
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    11 Dec '11 20:38
    The lower rated the player, the longer it will take for him to realize he is in a lost position.

Lower rated players will also play against other lower rated players and as such will be paid off for their determination when their opponents blunder away the won position. Just saying.
  8. Joined
    05 Nov '08
    Moves
    11 Dec '11 22:12
    OP

You've finished 4 games and are playing 6 and you're ranting about people not resigning.... geez

This topic has been done to death many times, its their perogative to play on as long as they like, get over it

If you want more games where you're not being limited by being "forced" to play on, subscribe, simple
  9. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    11 Dec '11 22:16
    Originally posted by ajsaxin
    Amongst the few tht I have played I ve noticed the players with high ratings do resign when they know the advantage clearly lies with their opponent ,forget about a piece lead .But it’s the 1300 and below who continue to play on ,rather than resign and go in for a ...[text shortened]... er I don’t get to play more games until i am done with my current games.

Sorry about the rant
    If i'm playing a highly rated player (1100-1200) i like to make their life as miserable as possible before i resign. With low rated players i resign a lot sooner.

GRANNY.
  10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    11 Dec '11 23:36
    Originally posted by smw6869
    If i'm playing a highly rated player (1100-1200) i like to make their life as miserable as possible before i resign. With low rated players i resign a lot sooner.

GRANNY.
    Love your profile, Granny! It speaks to all of us at some time or another!
  11. e4
    Moves
    12 Dec '11 00:56
    Hi ajsaxin

There is nothing in the rules of chess saying you must resign.
    Perhps pick your opponents more carefully (look at their games and
    you can see the stragglers.)

Also look how many times they have scored a stalemate.
    If they have turned just one loss into a drawn game they will try and try again.

Play to a quicker time control.

Pay a sub and have 100's of games on the go.

Finally. Players play on because anything can happen and it often does.

You were White here in Game 8846327

As White I would have resigned this OTB, on here and most likely in blitz.

You played on and White checkmated Black 20 moves later.
    Anything can happen...You cannot win by resigning.
  12. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    12 Dec '11 00:59
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

You were White here in Game 8846327

[fen]7r/pppkn1p1/4p3/3p4/3PbNP1/1PP1P1K1/P4R2/8 b - - 0 24[/fen]
    As White I would have resigned this OTB, on here and most likely in blitz.

You played on and White checkmated Black 20 moves later.
    Anything can happen...You cannot win by resigning.[/b]
    Wow, the answer to the guy's question is in his very own games. That is sad on so many levels.
  13. e4
    Moves
    12 Dec '11 01:15
    I always look at the games. What else is there to look at?
  14. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    12 Dec '11 01:26
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I always look at the games. What else is there to look at?
    The waitress and the bartenders. Occasionally the bill to make sure you haven't been swindled.
    A good blindfold match will have no lookie-loo's

Q
  15. SubscriberSmookiePonline
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    12 Dec '11 03:05
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I think the fact that the site rewards people for making lots of moves (MAP of the month, the coloured stars, etc...) encourages people to play on in lost positions just to top up their moves. I find red star players generally do this as a matter of course...
    Draw out games just for moves? If you have a sub, why not just add more games if amount of moves is so important?

This just sounds ridiculous to me..

I never got upset over someone not resigning, we all agree to the rules, and if I'm going to win it will come eventually.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree