1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 21:282 edits
    Whenever I play checkers or card games online, I meet a lot of female players. But chess specifically leaves rare occasions when I meet a female player.

Is there something about chess that doesn't appeal to women? Maybe it's because even though the queen is really powerful, she still has to sacrifice herself for the King. 😉
  2. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 22:02
    Or just maybe they will be presented, during a game, with a given situation were they do not have ultimate control!!........ my opinion... I'm married with kids............
  3. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 22:101 edit
    Acutally come to really think of it I'm glad there are so few females in this game, they always spoil every sport that blokes love....consider it one of the last bastions of male dominance, say bar Snooker, Motor sport, Golf and armed combat.
  4. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    24 Apr '11 17:29
    Originally posted by vivify
    Whenever I play checkers or card games online, I meet a lot of female players. But chess specifically leaves rare occasions when I meet a female player.

Is there something about chess that doesn't appeal to women? Maybe it's because even though the queen is really powerful, she still has to sacrifice herself for the King. 😉
    Play more games... your sample size is very low
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    24 Apr '11 18:14
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    Play more games... your sample size is very low
    My "sample size" is my entire life of playing chess.

So by your post, I take you meet female chess players all the time?
  6. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    24 Apr '11 18:27

Does a girl sitting on your lap while you play count as a female chess player.
  7. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    24 Apr '11 18:28
    My "sample size" is my entire life of playing chess.

So by your post, I take you meet female chess players all the time?
    No. I didn't meet one yesterday.
  8. Standard memberRank Materialist
    Carpe! Carpe! Carpe!
    Uptown
    Moves
    24 Apr '11 22:15
    Is there something about chess that doesn't appeal to women?[/b]
    Here's one theory from the field of evolutionary psychology:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathizing%E2%80%93systemizing_theory
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Apr '11 22:19
    Whenever I play checkers or card games online, I meet a lot of female players.
    they're ll dudes pretending to be female...
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 16:27
    Most people don't play chess at all. It seems to me that a better question is "why do people like to play chess"?

There seems to be something about it that attracts a very small number of people and of that small group most of them are men.
  11. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 16:56
    The fourth ranked player on this site is allegedly female.
  12. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 17:35
    Originally posted by Thabtos
    The fourth ranked player on this site is allegedly female.
    That's 1 then. 1/17150... seems fairly good. It's a lot better ratio than those that understand the offside rule.

Richard and Andy
  13. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 17:37

Women's chess is finally getting recognized. It doesn't hurt that many of the female GMs, IMs, etc. are drop dead gorgeous.
  14. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 17:56
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    That's 1 then. 1/17150... seems fairly good. It's a lot better ratio than those that understand the offside rule.

Richard and Andy
    🙂
  15. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 18:50

I think there are 2 reasons for the lack of female players.

1. There are so many other things for ladies to do, they simply choose something else. Chess is a low priority.

2. Relationships seem more interesting to ladies than tactics, because of this I don't think chess interests most ladies.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree