1. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 20:10
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    "chess, poker, darts, backgammon, snooker/pool, all male dominated games in terms of numbers and quility yet all games that woman could be equally as good at if not better. so why so much male dominance in games that they have no physical advantage in?" (posted by trev33)

idk, maybe women have better things to do with their time? 🙂 (Just playing devil's advocate.)
    Gentlemen (and ladies) we have a winner ! Your comment is more to the point than being a devil's advocate. I had this conversation with Jen Shahade several years ago while she was researching her book on women in chess. Women and men have different priorities. Each sex is pressured societally when growing up towards certain actions and away from others. Men have larger and more sensitive egos.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 23:204 edits
    Originally posted by caissad4
    Gentlemen (and ladies) we have a winner ! Your comment is more to the point than being a devil's advocate. I had this conversation with Jen Shahade several years ago while she was researching her book on women in chess. Women and men have different priorities. Each sex is pressured societally when growing up towards certain actions and away from others. Men have larger and more sensitive egos.
    I don't agree with this post at all. You'd have a point if we were talking about football...but chess?

So there's "societal pressure" that causes women to play board games less?

That doesn't seem like a good explanation at all.
  3. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    30 Apr '11 00:29
    Originally posted by vivify
    I don't agree with this post at all. You'd have a point if we were talking about football...but chess?

So there's "societal pressure" that causes women to play board games less?

That doesn't seem like a good explanation at all.
    Well, since I am just a silly girl who obviously doesn't know what I am talking about I will leave it up to some big intelligent man to tell me what is reality. Please forgive my assuming that I would even have a clue.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Apr '11 00:48
    Well, since I am just a silly girl who obviously doesn't know what I am talking about I will leave it up to some big intelligent man to tell me what is reality. Please forgive my assuming that I would even have a clue.
    If a woman says that society keeps her from playing Monopoly because society doesn't think women can succeed at business...that's no less stupid than what you posted.

So what other board games have us big intelligent men kept you from playing? Checkers? Sorry?
  5. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    30 Apr '11 01:20
    If a woman says that society keeps her from playing Monopoly because society doesn't think women can succeed at business...that's no less stupid than what you posted.

So what other board games have us big intelligent men kept you from playing? Checkers? Sorry?
    Football, Monopoly, Checkers ? Silly me, I thought we were talking about chess. Your ignorant posts illustrate my point. I gave you a woman's point of view and you gave a man's point of view. And you believe that you, as a man, can dismiss or minimalize societal pressures put upon women. I do not believe you even have a clue.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    30 Apr '11 03:09
    Women and men have different priorities. Each sex is pressured societally when growing up towards certain actions and away from others.
    exactly... woman should be in the kitchen cooking her mans dinner while staying at home looking after the kids, no time silly games.
  7. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    30 Apr '11 03:57

Why so few women chess players?
    I don't know, maybe read some of the idiotic sexist remarks in this thread, then do the math.
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    30 Apr '11 04:372 edits
    Football, Monopoly, Checkers ? Silly me, I thought we were talking about chess. Your ignorant posts illustrate my point. I gave you a woman's point of view and you gave a man's point of view. And you believe that you, as a man, can dismiss or minimalize societal pressures put upon women. I do not believe you even have a clue.
    The whole "I'm a girl, therefore I'm right on all things female" doesn't fly. You must use a little thing called "logic" or "support for your argument". So far. you havent done that one bit. Please do that. rather than "omg. i totolly have boobs. so i'm like totally right!" got it? HOW does "Societal pressure" discourage women from chess? I await a well thoght out answer.
  9. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Apr '11 05:13
    There's only one thing worse than a non-sub-scum newbie and that's a sexist non-sub-scum newbie.

Jesus wept

skeets
  10. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    30 Apr '11 11:54
    I really struggle to understand how this thread belongs in only chess as there is essentially zero chess content.
  11. In attack
    Moves
    30 Apr '11 14:34
    This is a dangerous topic, as it will probably offend more than aid. My personal opinion is that you need a little OCD to really enjoy chess (I include myself in that broad generalisation), and that OCD is more prevalent in men than women. For the most part, RHP is dominated by men because there are some of us that have little better to do. A good statistic here is that women do 70% of the World's work, earn 10% of the income, and own <1% of the land.

In the end though, does it really matter? You could easily make a thread arguing that chess is middle-class dominated / rich nation dominated etc. The important point is if you enjoy chess, I will enjoy playing you, regardless of sex/nationality/political leaning/affluence/[insert anything here]. The only exception is if you cheat, then I'll be angry 🙂
  12. c6
    Moves
    30 Apr '11 18:412 edits
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    I really struggle to understand how this thread belongs in only chess as there is essentially zero chess content.
    Rec'd times 1000.

I feel bad for stoking the flames at all.
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    01 May '11 02:122 edits
    Originally posted by skeeter
    There's only one thing worse than a non-sub-scum newbie and that's a sexist non-sub-scum newbie.

Jesus wept

skeets
    In other words, you must succumb to insults because you are unable to make any valid points against my superior argument.

Thanks for the compliment.

And way to prove your moral superiority by calling someone "scum" without even saying why.

Have a great day.
  14. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    01 May '11 02:16
    Really, is that all it takes to be hated around here? Just disagree with a woman on something, thereby making you a sexist? Tsk, tsk. You'd think on a chess site, people would resort to moe intelligent methods of conversation.
  15. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    01 May '11 02:202 edits
    Oh, and to the hypocrits here: why is it that when that female poster says that men have huge easy to bruise egos, that's okay; but when I tell that female poster she should back up her arguments with actual logic, that's sexist?

I think those hypocrits just want to seem like heros and get some internet kudos. Sad.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree