1. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 20:15
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    It doesn't hurt that many of the female GMs, IMs, etc. are drop dead gorgeous.
    Let me tell you it does hurt if you're wearing tight trousers.
  2. SubscriberkNIGHTHEAD
    aka DEFIANT
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 20:43
    I also think it’s psychological.
    Men are natural hunters by instinct and have an easier grasp on tactics and prefer more complex situations. Men are naturally more competitive and have a "killer instinct".
    Also, perhaps, it's because (in the majority of cases), me can focus on something very specific for a period of time, whilst women prefer to focus on less complex situations and also more on multiple tasks and range related rather than to focus on one specific task.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that women don't possess a killer instinct or are not tacticians, I'm just referring that men are that way for the most part, and it's more natural for them.
    This is just my honest opinion
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 04:11
    ^ There might be something to what you said.

A few years ago, I watched a program about the sexes, and a point was raised that men enjoy games with simple goals and complex rules; for example, U.S. football. The goal is simple: get to the endzone. However, football rules are complex. It's the same for NBA basketball, simple goal of putting the ball in the hole, with many complex rules and time-limits. Chess is the same, with the simple goal of capturing the enemy king, but many complexities along the way.

Many women think things like football is stupid or a chore to try to learn, so maybe there's a natural dislike (in general) for chess as well.
  4. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 06:54
    Originally posted by vivify
    Many women think things like football is stupid or a chore to try to learn, so maybe there's a natural dislike (in general) for chess as well.
    What an absolute tosser. Jesus wept.

skeeter
  5. The Hague
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 08:59
    Originally posted by skeeter
    What an absolute tosser. Jesus wept.

skeeter
    And in a discussion it works really well to criticize someone else's argument, but not motivate the criticism or come with arguments of your own.

I can imagine Jesus wept.
  6. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 00:37
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    That's 1 then. 1/17150... seems fairly good. It's a lot better ratio than those that understand the offside rule.

Richard and Andy
    And the player on this site with the highest differential of won/lost games is also female. Check my profile.
    And I understand baseball, basketball, hockey and football better than most chessplayers.
  7. c6
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 01:26
    Originally posted by bill718
    I think there are 2 reasons for the lack of female players.

1. There are so many other things for ladies to do, they simply choose something else. Chess is a low priority.

2. Relationships seem more interesting to ladies than tactics, because of this I don't think chess interests most ladies.
    Both of these arguments could apply equally well for men.
  8. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 11:091 edit
    Originally posted by caissad4
    And the player on this site with the highest differential of won/lost games is also female. Check my profile.
    And I understand baseball, basketball, hockey and football better than most chessplayers.
    Ah.. but do you know who Richard and Andy are ? Because therein lies the joke. In any case you weren't meant to read my post.. it was made off-air.
  9. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 11:171 edit
    Originally posted by EinZweiDrei
    Both of these arguments could apply equally well for men.
    Really ? I assume you mean with "ladies" switched for "men".. ok I'm game.. I'll give it a go.

2. Relationships seem more interesting to men than tactics, because of this I don't think chess interests most men.

Hmmm.... ummmm... oooo... aaaaa.. nooooooooooooooo.... FAIL
  10. c6
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 12:52
    Really ? I assume you mean with "ladies" switched for "men".. ok I'm game.. I'll give it a go.

2. Relationships seem more interesting to men than tactics, because of this I don't think chess interests most men.

Hmmm.... ummmm... oooo... aaaaa.. nooooooooooooooo.... FAIL
    If you say so.
  11. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 13:071 edit
    Originally posted by EinZweiDrei
    If you say so.
    I do apologize. I thought I'd put enough in my post to at least suggest an inkling of humour. Must try harder next time. Perhaps I'm too wrapped up in a relationship to concentrate. Doh !!
  12. c6
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 14:02
    I do apologize. I thought I'd put enough in my post to at least suggest an inkling of humour. Must try harder next time. Perhaps I'm too wrapped up in a relationship to concentrate. Doh !!
    Ah. No worries, then. =)
  13. SubscriberkNIGHTHEAD
    aka DEFIANT
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 23:15
    ^^ lol 🙂
  14. Planet Earth , Mwy
    Moves
    27 Apr '11 23:54
    The real reason fewer females than males play chess is remarkably simple,like most competitive things in life female humans are for the most part and with obvious and not so obvious exceptions simply not quite as competitive minded as most male humans and,as a consequence are less willing to 'play games' to a similar or greater standard of excellence as that which is often displayed by male chess players. It is I feel sure in the year 2011 fashionable to 'attack' any person who makes what some people call 'politically incorrect' statements, however a simple truth is a truth nevertheless and no person should be unwilling to state facts which can be verified,regardless of personal abuse received from the 'politically correct set--------aLR
  15. c6
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 00:51
    Originally posted by RECUVIC
    The real reason fewer females than males play chess is remarkably simple,like most competitive things in life female humans are for the most part and with obvious and not so obvious exceptions simply not quite as competitive minded as most male humans and,as a consequence are less willing to 'play games' to a similar or greater standard of excellence as that ...[text shortened]... rified,regardless of personal abuse received from the 'politically correct set--------aLR
    I don't think it's necessarily accurate to lump all competition together when drawing distinctions between male and female competitive drive.

Nor do I think there's enough information to imply a single causative factor for gender difference in participation or performance in chess. There are reasons other than hard-wiring along gender lines that people do or don't pursue certain hobbies. Granted, sometimes hard-wiring is the reason, but sometimes it isn't.

It's probably a nuanced answer, is all I'm saying.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree