1. Standard memberQuirke
    Racing Ralph
    53x11
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 02:22
    Originally posted by RECUVIC
    The real reason fewer females than males play chess is remarkably simple, like most competitive things in life female humans are ... not quite as competitive minded as most male humans and,as a consequence are less willing to 'play games' to a similar or greater standard of excellence as that which is often displayed by male chess players. ...
    I'm calling bs.

In case you haven't noticed, there are a lot of persistent really crappy male chessplayers, so I'm not sure where your "greater standard of excellence" comes from.
  2. Standard memberskeeter
    515 + 30 days
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 02:45
    Originally posted by Quirke
    I'm calling bs.

In case you haven't noticed, there are a lot of persistent really crappy male chessplayers, so I'm not sure where your "greater standard of excellence" comes from.
    Rec'd.

skeets
  3. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 03:14
    because woman evolved to have less brain matter than men
  4. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 03:38
    Originally posted by NorrisB
    because woman evolved to have less brain matter than men
    I think you've just disproved your own theory. 😕
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 04:00
    Originally posted by EinZweiDrei
    I don't think it's necessarily accurate to lump all competition together when drawing distinctions between male and female competitive drive.

Nor do I think there's enough information to imply a single causative factor for gender difference in participation or performance in chess. There are reasons other than hard-wiring along gender lines that peopl ...[text shortened]... the reason, but sometimes it isn't.

It's probably a nuanced answer, is all I'm saying.
    chess, poker, darts, backgammon, snooker/pool, all male dominated games in terms of numbers and quility yet all games that woman could be equally as good at if not better. so why so much male dominance in games that they have no physical advantage in?
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 04:04
    Originally posted by Quirke
    so I'm not sure where your "greater standard of excellence" comes from.
    how many of the worlds top 10 chess players are male? population is about 50/50 so if they were equal in chess there should be 5, no?
  7. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 05:21
    Originally posted by trev33
    how many of the worlds top 10 chess players are male? population is about 50/50 so if they were equal in chess there should be 5, no?
    How many of the world's top men players are as pretty as Kosteniuk, Shahade, Pogonina??
    Name me one, and if you do....Ggay 😛
  8. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 05:24
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis

Name me one
    YouTube
  9. c6
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 10:18
    chess, poker, darts, backgammon, snooker/pool, all male dominated games in terms of numbers and quility yet all games that woman could be equally as good at if not better. so why so much male dominance in games that they have no physical advantage in?
    Similar question, so, again, I still think it's probably a nuanced answer.
  10. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 10:34
    It's a 3b violation.

In consideration of your use of the Service, you represent that you are of legal age to form a binding contract and are not a person barred from receiving services under the laws of the United States or other applicable jurisdiction. You also agree to :

(a) You will not create more than one account.

(b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials.

(c) You may not threaten or harass other users of this Service.

(d) You must not be a woman.
  11. bedlam
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 18:49
    Man sits waiting for mammoth to fall into trap,gets bored,invents chess,his brains develops chessability.

Woman gather berries,washes bearskins,attends kids,pokes fire,cooks mammoth,sweeps cave,gets mad at man for letting mammoth escape.

An odd 10,000 years later not much has changed.
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 23:10
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    How many of the world's top men players are as pretty as Kosteniuk, Shahade, Pogonina??
    Name me one, and if you do....Ggay 😛
    google images - 'sexy male chess players'

http://avatars.chesscomfiles.com/images_users/avatars/rnunesmagalhaes.gif

i win.

kosteniuk and pogonina are pretty cute though.
  13. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 00:03
    google images - 'sexy male chess players'

That's my home page. 😕
  14. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 16:28
    This is a good question that I've noticed people here are unwilling to tackle.

Any takers?
  15. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 16:37
    Originally posted by vivify
    This is a good question that I've noticed people here are unwilling to tackle.

Any takers?
    "chess, poker, darts, backgammon, snooker/pool, all male dominated games in terms of numbers and quility yet all games that woman could be equally as good at if not better. so why so much male dominance in games that they have no physical advantage in?" (posted by trev33)

idk, maybe women have better things to do with their time? 🙂 (Just playing devil's advocate.)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree