1. The sky
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 19:49
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    If these camps hold tournaments, would boys be permitted?
    If the tournaments are only for participants of a girl-only chess camp, obviously not (I don't know if it's common to have participants-only tournaments at chess camps). Otherwise I don't see why not. From what I have seen, chess camps typically seem to be in connection with large tournaments (I can very well be wrong about this; maybe I just don't hear about other chess camps), and the participants of the chess camp can play in the fitting tournament groups.
  2. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 19:50
    Originally posted by AlphaAlekhine
    I remember reading somewhere that men tend to visualize better in three dimensions. Better with pattern recognition, and goemetrics. Does anyone know of data to back this up? Personally I think that women have the same ability as men, but these aspects of their thought process aren't nurtured when they are young. Despite the rise of women to equal ...[text shortened]... equality, and then continues to segregate themselves, I would call it the height of hypocrisy.
    I have no evidence to back this up so take it as you feel. I saw somewhere (television i think) that men are better navigators because in primal times they had to go on hunting expeditions and find their way back. In the same respect, women are better multi-taskers because they had to maintain the "camp" and watch all the children. To me this seems logical. So in my opinion men and women are intellectual equals, but men are better at some things and women are better at others.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 08:59
    Originally posted by zeppelin x
    I have no evidence to back this up so take it as you feel. I saw somewhere (television i think) that men are better navigators because in primal times they had to go on hunting expeditions and find their way back. In the same respect, women are better multi-taskers because they had to maintain the "camp" and watch all the children. To me this seems log ...[text shortened]... men are intellectual equals, but men are better at some things and women are better at others.
    I have many counter examples that women are better in multi tasking.
    I have also many counter examples that men are better navigators.

In chess we are just a bunch of individuals, some are good, some are not so good. Doesn't have anything to do with their gender.

Try the same proposition in racial terms: Whites are better than blacks in chess. Or, Black are better then whites in chess. Pose these statements in public and see what the response will be. I can guess.

Why not adopt the same thougths about gender and chess? That gender doesn't say anything about a individuals skill in chess.
  4. Joined
    03 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 10:28
    Well, when it comes to the hard sciences like physics, computer studies, engineering, chemistry, etc, male students greatly outnumber female students in colleges and universities specializing in these subjects. I'm sure that females could succeed in these courses if they were motivated. But fact is something is telling them to stay away from them be it media, society, or plain old evolution.

That something could also be what's stopping many girls from wanting to take up chess. I'm sure they have the brain power to excel at the game, they just don't have the interest to pursue it.

It's interesting to note that the video game series "The Sims" has a huge female gamer following. The other genres like action, strategy, adventure are heavily male dominated. So the evolution theory that women brains excel more in the "nurturer" category and that men brains excel more in the "hunter/gatherer" category might have some ring of truth to it... if we were to use video games as an example.
  5. Joined
    27 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 13:47
    It is not sexism to hold all-girls/all-women events; it is an effort to offer an antidote to the systemic sexism in society that restricts women from engaging in challenging mental pursuits. We have come a long way since the days of the mad woman in the attic (see "The Yellow Wallpaper" also by Gilman), but we have yet a long way to go.[/b]
    I don't see any evidence that woman have been restricted from pursuing the cerebral game of chess. Not in recent times in the west anyhow. I believe it has to do with interest levels. Susan Polgar and several other females have proven that women and men can compete together. Because more men play chess then the odds are with a male winning tournaments/national/international competitions. We should encourage women to play. But how to market to women and men in a sport that does not enjoy high level sponsorship...
  6. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 13:51
    My first club Sidmouth is made up exclusively of (mainly older) white men. This can be daunting for people who don't have a deep passion for cricket and the sound of their own voice!

Plus there is no appreciable junior set up.

Unlike downend, my current club, where there are three female players.
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 15:15
    Originally posted by rlanham
    I don't see any evidence that woman have been restricted from pursuing the cerebral game of chess. Not in recent times in the west anyhow. I believe it has to do with interest levels. Susan Polgar and several other females have proven that women and men can compete together. Because more men play chess then the odds are with a male winning tournaments/n ...[text shortened]... y. But how to market to women and men in a sport that does not enjoy high level sponsorship...
    Look at any family with boy and girl children. If the boys play chess, ask the parents why the girls don't. You'll find your evidence soon enough.
  8. Joined
    23 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 20:32
    Originally posted by zeppelin x
    I do not understand why the chess world needs women only tournaments. I can understand that in a sport like American football men have advantages due to their physical makeup. But what gives men such a substantial advantage in chess to make a women’s league necessary?

P.S. This is not meant to be sexist.
    as you can see, in my school chessclub, 20ish boys, no girls.
  9. The sky
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 20:37
    Look at any family with boy and girl children. If the boys play chess, ask the parents why the girls don't. You'll find your evidence soon enough.
    I bet the answer won't be "the girls decided not to play because there are too few all women tournaments".
  10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 23:23
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I bet the answer won't be "the girls decided not to play because there are too few all women tournaments".
    I'll lay money that if you ask one hundred families, you'll hear dozens of answers that come close, viz., "Sara doesn't like to be the only girl," and "Emily is uncomfortable when boys gawk at her all day."
  11. The sky
    Moves
    27 Jan '07 23:55
    I'll lay money that if you ask one hundred families, you'll hear dozens of answers that come close, viz., "Sara doesn't like to be the only girl," and "Emily is uncomfortable when boys gawk at her all day."
    Exactly. That's why I said that chess classes or camps specifically for girls might be a good idea. There also seem to be some schools which introduce chess to all children.
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 02:28
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Exactly. That's why I said that chess classes or camps specifically for girls might be a good idea. There also seem to be some schools which introduce chess to all children.
    I've taught all the third and second graders, and am working through the first graders in one school system. Nevertheless, boys outnumber girls almost two to one in the after school club I run.
  13. Joined
    03 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 03:14
    I've taught all the third and second graders, and am working through the first graders in one school system. Nevertheless, boys outnumber girls almost two to one in the after school club I run.
    I know it's a repost, but I felt it appropriate to bring it up at just this moment 🙂

http://www.vimeo.com/clip:29520
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 03:21
    Originally posted by UndeadNightOrc
    I know it's a repost, but I felt it appropriate to bring it up at just this moment 🙂

http://www.vimeo.com/clip:29520
    Yep, that's part of the problem.
  15. Joined
    09 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '07 04:10
    As a female, my father played a lot with my brother growing up, but the one or two times I played as a child he let me win because I was a girl. As I got older, I found my male friends who played chess were very condescending and down right cruel bordering on nasty whenever I tried to learn. In college (undergrad), the handful of times I tried to play my boyfriends I was crushed and picked on for attempting to play or my brother who enjoyed beating me with moves our father had taught him. "Oh can't you see that, or this...?" I joined this site specifically to learn how to play better without the negativity. Immediately found a great teacher, loads of people to play with, and having a lot of fun overall. As a female playing chess even if you're interested in it, can be a very uphill battle.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree