1. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 01:43
    I do not understand why the chess world needs women only tournaments. I can understand that in a sport like American football men have advantages due to their physical makeup. But what gives men such a substantial advantage in chess to make a women’s league necessary?

P.S. This is not meant to be sexist.
  2. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 01:46
    I think this is also true with tournament poker. I think woman can be just as good as men but since more men play, more men win. I think women even have an advantage in poker because some men have trouble playing against women (especially when the women are attractive).
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 02:07
    It's an issue of socialization. Women suffer no disadvantage at the game itself, and may have a slight advantage (they are generally calmer and better focused as children, for example). However, parents typically (not all parents) socialize their boys for competition, and girls for cooperation.

Another major factor is the popularity of chess among a certain segment of geeky boys in middle school: these guys drive girls away.
  4. Ketchikan, Alaska
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 03:26
    I believe the correct stereo-typical term for such people (like myself, as little as three years ago when I was in middle school) is nerd, not geek, but you can check me on that. There may be some psychological reasons why females usually don't play chess as much as males, but as you said I think it's much more of a social factor. There may even be some historical basis in it though, as traditionally women wouldn't play chess as they were being housewives and serving their husbands. Again check me if I'm wrong, but I think chess may have been considered an exclusively all-male game in the past in the minds of the general populace.
  5. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 03:30
    Originally posted by TheAlaskan
    I believe the correct stereo-typical term for such people (like myself, as little as three years ago when I was in middle school) is nerd, not geek, but you can check me on that. There may be some psychological reasons why females usually don't play chess as much as males, but as you said I think it's much more of a social factor. There may even be some h ...[text shortened]... en considered an exclusively all-male game in the past in the minds of the general populace.
    I agree with most of what you are saying. But since chess is no longer only for males, why are there "women leagues?" I know that there are more males who play, but why can't females just join the leagues that men are in?
  6. Joined
    03 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 03:38
    I would imagine money and sponsors may have something to do with it. A women themed tourney probably draws a different crowd then a regular non-gender specific tourney. That's the only explanation I can come up with.
  7. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 03:44
    Originally posted by UndeadNightOrc
    I would imagine money and sponsors may have something to do with it. A women themed tourney probably draws a different crowd then a regular non-gender specific tourney. That's the only explanation I can come up with.
    But wouldn't a woman making it very far or winning a prestigious tournament bring even more atttention?
  8. Standard memberDies Irae
    I Love U
    LaLa Land
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 03:49
    women shouldn't be able to touch their kings, as it is the anthesis of everything chess stands for
  9. Joined
    03 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 03:56
    Originally posted by zeppelin x
    But wouldn't a woman making it very far or winning a prestigious tournament bring even more atttention?
    Undoubtedly. And I'm sure many of the top female chess players feel women leagues are pointless. Still, someone is making money off of these female only tournaments, just as someone is making money from children only tourneys.

No money, no honey.
    *ducks*
  10. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 04:01
    Originally posted by UndeadNightOrc
    Undoubtedly. And I'm sure many of the top female chess players feel women leagues are pointless. Still, someone is making money off of these female only tournaments, just as someone is making money from children only tourneys.

No money, no honey.
    *ducks*
    But children have a disadvantage, they are children. So having a seperate group for them makes sense. Just like an 8 year old wouldn't play high school American football, an 8 year old would struggle in adult leagues (I know there are prodigies). But arn't men and women intellectually equal...
  11. Joined
    07 Jan '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 05:19
    I just think it is a little sexist to have just a womans league. I know this sounds like whining but in my chess career in high school 3 or 4 years back I was the best player on the team undoubtedly. There was a girl on the team that was 2nd best. I was better by because of a higher rating and my tournament achievements were far better but when they started hosting a girls state championships and she was the best girl in the start by far, everyone concidered her as the best player.
  12. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 05:28
    Originally posted by Samdogg
    I just think it is a little sexist to have just a womans league. I know this sounds like whining but in my chess career in high school 3 or 4 years back I was the best player on the team undoubtedly. There was a girl on the team that was 2nd best. I was better by because of a higher rating and my tournament achievements were far better but when they start ...[text shortened]... ships and she was the best girl in the start by far, everyone concidered her as the best player.
    I agree that it is sexist. Are men allowed in these women leagues? If there was an all mens league would that be considered sexist?
  13. Joined
    07 Jan '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 05:31
    I agree that it is sexist. Are men allowed in these women leagues? If there was an all mens league would that be considered sexist?
    Actually I think yes it would be because this is the reason that there are no all men leagues.
  14. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 08:272 edits
    I do not understand why the chess world needs women only tournaments. I can understand that in a sport like American football men have advantages due to their physical makeup. But what gives men such a substantial advantage in chess to make a women’s league necessary?

P.S. This is not meant to be sexist.
    There was a thread about this about a year ago, in fact I think it was about Akarris's first female tournament only (apart from the male jerk's that entered), at the time I emailed the English Women's Chess Association (or something like that I forget the exact name). They said they agree (obvioulsy) that women are not disadvantaged but can find the predominately male environment intimidating. I suppose it would be at first until they became more common, there are a few women that play in the leagues that I play in, but I reckon it's only about 1-2%. I do find it slightly strange as I would have expected chess players to be more accomodating and sensitive than say footballers (meaning soccor to any americans) but maybe not?
  15. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 15:21
    http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/engtopfemale.php

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree