Women in Chess

Women in Chess

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
28 Jan 07

Originally posted by DoctorDara
As a female, my father played a lot with my brother growing up, but the one or two times I played as a child he let me win because I was a girl. As I got older, I found my male friends who played chess were very condescending and down right cruel bordering on nasty whenever I tried to learn. In college (undergrad), the handful of times I tried to play my ...[text shortened]... all. As a female playing chess even if you're interested in it, can be a very uphill battle.
I always feel angry when I hear stories like this!

A woman in a man dominated environment has always this kind of trouble. As much as a man in a woman dominated environment. The lesser gender has always big problems.

Who doesn’t lift the eyebrows when seeing a lady in the motor garage?, a lady in a construction company?, a lady chairman in a board of all men? But also a gent in a nursery room?, a gent knitting baby socks?, a gent as telephone switch operator? So this problem appears everywhere. It has to do with equality between sexes, in both directions.

In my chess club there is a handful of girls and ladies.
A particular one is 11 years old and beat a lot of us. She is thin and short and appears to be shy. When I meet her, I prepare to lose, I usually do against her. She is really good. But always I give her my hand afterward and treat her like anyone else. She is worth it. She is one of us and is always treated as anyone of us.
No one of the girls and ladies are treated differently, we have no ladies tournament, they has not any advantages being women, they are just members of the club.

S

Moves
29 Jan 07

Originally posted by Ason Pigg2
as you can see, in my school chessclub, 20ish boys, no girls.
and is this because the club says no girls allowed? Just because men are more interested in the game of chess doesn't mean that there should be an all girls anything. Fishing is considered a sport and all but do they hold an all womens tournment or league of their own? I do not think so, although I could be wrong. I have never heard of it anyway.

m

Moves
29 Jan 07

Originally posted by Samdogg
Fishing is considered a sport and all but do they hold an all womens tournment or league of their own? I do not think so, although I could be wrong. I have never heard of it anyway.
A quick Google suggests that they do. You can quickly find quite a few women's angling clubs, anyway.

M
Dutch

Moves
29 Jan 07

Originally posted by Wulebgr
It's an issue of socialization. Women suffer no disadvantage at the game itself, and may have a slight advantage (they are generally calmer and better focused as children, for example). However, parents typically (not all parents) socialize their boys for competition, and girls for cooperation.

Another major factor is the popularity of chess among a certain segment of geeky boys in middle school: these guys drive girls away.
So,...

If we beet up all the geeks. Beautifull attractive and h*rn* women will show up at chess-tournaments??
😲😲😲

Why do we wait?? 🙂

m

Moves
29 Jan 07

Originally posted by metbierop
So,...

If we beet up all the geeks. Beautifull attractive and h*rn* women will show up at chess-tournaments??
😲😲😲

Why do we wait?? 🙂
Because we're the geeks?

😉

M
Dutch

Moves
29 Jan 07

Originally posted by mtthw
Because we're the geeks?

😉
I thought I was missing something 😕