1. washington
    Moves
    29 Jul '06 08:29
    for those of you that play on a wooden chess board and on the computer which is easier to see on?
  2. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    29 Jul '06 08:31
    I am more used to online so when I recently started OTB I missed a lot of things that would be more apparent online i.e. long range bishop etc
    However, I now take more time over the moves OTB and therefore now prefer OTB
  3. London
    Moves
    29 Jul '06 12:03
    it has to be the real thing - clicking around with the mouse just doesn't compare
  4. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '06 12:31
    Originally posted by kmac27
    for those of you that play on a wooden chess board and on the computer which is easier to see on?
    i only play otb once a month and that makes it much harder to see than internet
  5. Domincan Republic
    Moves
    29 Jul '06 15:261 edit
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    I am more used to online so when I recently started OTB I missed a lot of things that would be more apparent online i.e. long range bishop etc
    However, I now take more time over the moves OTB and therefore now prefer OTB
    I noticed this recently, mainly I was playing against chessmaster with the newspapar board, it was a lot easier I think because when I read a book and analyse games on them the brain gets familiar with this boards better than in the real ones, because on the real ones I hardly analyse games, just play with my friends.

Now I am changing and using 3D boards on chessmaster adapted to the same position as if I was on a table, and analysing games from books on real boards. this is just a theory of mine, that my brain will get familiar with all analysis on real boards as well.

I first noticed this because I am reading CHESSERCISES: CHECKMATE from Bruce pandolfini, and it was a lot easier to spot mates in two on the book than on real boards.
  6. USA
    Moves
    29 Jul '06 15:30
    Originally posted by The Swine Down Hope
    it has to be the real thing - clicking around with the mouse just doesn't compare
    I agree
  7. The Tao Temple
    Moves
    29 Jul '06 16:19
    Originally posted by The Swine Down Hope
    it has to be the real thing
    Ditto.
    If I get a really interesting position and set it up on a real board I can see more possibilities. Maybe it's just an age thing - the younger player may be more at home with a screen?
  8. The sky
    Moves
    29 Jul '06 17:30
    Originally posted by Mixo
    Ditto.
    If I get a really interesting position and set it up on a real board I can see more possibilities. Maybe it's just an age thing - the younger player may be more at home with a screen?
    I doubt it has to do with age, I think it has everything to do with what you are most used to. I am 36, which means I belong to a generation which mostly grew up without computers. But I started to play chess only about 1 1/2 years ago, and I have played almost exclusively on the computer (first in Chessmaster, then here). So I am much more familiar with the screen than with a real board.
  9. washington
    Moves
    29 Jul '06 18:48
    thanks for the info guys i just set my chess board site with wood everything and its a lot harder to see the board. i have a chess tourney in a week and i'm guessing i better use that to get use to the wood board.
  10. The sky
    Moves
    29 Jul '06 18:55
    thanks for the info guys i just set my chess board site with wood everything and its a lot harder to see the board. i have a chess tourney in a week and i'm guessing i better use that to get use to the wood board.
    Maybe you should set up the positions on a real board and work out your moves there?
  11. washington
    Moves
    29 Jul '06 21:01
    i dont have one its at my dads i'm working on getting one though
  12. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '06 21:04
    i dont have one its at my dads i'm working on getting one though
    they cost like $3 at WalMart...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree