Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member Dutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    12 Oct '07 14:22
    you sent a message to someone telling them they can time out someone in another game?
  2. 12 Oct '07 14:50 / 1 edit
    No no, this is an interesting question.

    I have the same question in mind, when I was a clan leader. May I inform one of my clan members that his opponents time has ran out? If I do, and he decides to skull him out, then he get a win and a rating rise, and my clan perhaps win the challenge. Fair? Cheating? Indeed an interesting question.

    Or when I am about to win a tournament if, and only if, another game rends one player the win and I see that his opponents time has ran out. May I tell him? Same question - fair or cheating?

    I say you interfere with another game, helping one part to win. But my clans win is of higher priority than an individual game, so perhaps we should collaborate within the clan, helping each other out. Within TOS of course.

    Therefore - tipping a time out, is that within TOS and fair? Or outside TOS and therefore cheating?

    Thank you DD for the new interesting thread! May it live and prosper!
  3. Standard member Dutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    12 Oct '07 14:54
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    No no, this is an interesting question.

    I have the same question in mind, when I was a clan leader. May I inform one of my clan members that his opponents time has ran out? If I do, and he decides to skull him out, then he get a win and a rating rise, and my clan perhaps win the challenge. Fair? Cheating? Indeed an interesting question.

    Or when I a ...[text shortened]... and therefore cheating?

    Thank you DD for the new interesting thread! May it live and prosper!
    I meant to make this thread in the help forum, but this works too.

    I've never done that, but I didn't know.
  4. Standard member Red Night
    RHP Prophet
    12 Oct '07 15:27
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    No no, this is an interesting question.

    I have the same question in mind, when I was a clan leader. May I inform one of my clan members that his opponents time has ran out? If I do, and he decides to skull him out, then he get a win and a rating rise, and my clan perhaps win the challenge. Fair? Cheating? Indeed an interesting question.

    Or when I a ...[text shortened]... and therefore cheating?

    Thank you DD for the new interesting thread! May it live and prosper!
    I think it's a great question.

    I have wondered the same thing.
  5. 12 Oct '07 16:30
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    you sent a message to someone telling them they can time out someone in another game?
    Any advice or commentary on an ongoing game is cheating. That's what I've always been taught at least.
  6. Standard member Dutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    12 Oct '07 16:34 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by zzyw
    Any advice or commentary on an ongoing game is cheating. That's what I've always been taught at least.
    you're post isn't exactly what this thread is about. I'm talking about messaging someone, telling them they can time their opponent out.

    no advice.
  7. 12 Oct '07 16:42
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    you're post isn't exactly what this thread is about. I'm talking about messaging someone, telling them they can time their opponent out.

    no advice.
    It is against the rules OTB so it should be here.

    A player or an arbiter are the only people allowed to claim a flag fall. Anyone else is "interfering"

    Article 6 and 13 FIDE rules
  8. 12 Oct '07 16:56
    What if you send them a message reminding them about timeouts in general and don't mention a specific game?
  9. 12 Oct '07 17:02
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    you're post isn't exactly what this thread is about. I'm talking about messaging someone, telling them they can time their opponent out.

    no advice.
    ad·vice

    1. an opinion or recommendation offered as a guide to action, conduct, etc.: I shall act on your advice.

    Example: Messaging someone, telling them they can time their opponent out.
  10. 12 Oct '07 17:06 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    you're post isn't exactly what this thread is about. I'm talking about messaging someone, telling them they can time their opponent out.

    no advice.
    Ahem, I have to believe that advising someone that they can time their opponent out constitues advice. Nudge, nudge.

    EDIT: zzyw beat me to it
  11. 12 Oct '07 17:09 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by zzyw
    ad·vice

    1. an opinion or recommendation offered as a guide to action, conduct, etc.: I shall act on your advice.

    Example: Messaging someone, telling them they can time their opponent out.
    According to the definition then it is cheating, The game and all kind of commentaries about it are betwin players, including time comentaries, even if is an unritten rule, only that if its an unritten rule then its not against the rules but against good moral behaviour.
  12. 12 Oct '07 17:12
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    And what is the award?

    O my, I think I just won.
  13. 12 Oct '07 17:15
    Originally posted by Superman
    According to the definition then it is cheating, The game and all kind of commentaries about it are betwin players, including time comentaries, even if is an unritten rule, only that if its an unritten rule then its not against the rules but against good moral behaviour.
    Right....no advice can be given on a game in progress, so it's cheating. Barely.
  14. Standard member Dutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    12 Oct '07 17:19
    Originally posted by zzyw
    ad·vice

    1. an opinion or recommendation offered as a guide to action, conduct, etc.: I shall act on your advice.

    Example: Messaging someone, telling them they can time their opponent out.
    Okay, thanks everyone.
  15. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    12 Oct '07 17:39
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    you sent a message to someone telling them they can time out someone in another game?
    When in doubt, use this rule of thumb:

    If you have to ask whether it's cheating, it probably is.

    [Note: This also applies to your income tax. ]