1. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 14:22
    you sent a message to someone telling them they can time out someone in another game?
  2. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 14:36

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 14:501 edit
    No no, this is an interesting question.

I have the same question in mind, when I was a clan leader. May I inform one of my clan members that his opponents time has ran out? If I do, and he decides to skull him out, then he get a win and a rating rise, and my clan perhaps win the challenge. Fair? Cheating? Indeed an interesting question.

Or when I am about to win a tournament if, and only if, another game rends one player the win and I see that his opponents time has ran out. May I tell him? Same question - fair or cheating?

I say you interfere with another game, helping one part to win. But my clans win is of higher priority than an individual game, so perhaps we should collaborate within the clan, helping each other out. Within TOS of course.

Therefore - tipping a time out, is that within TOS and fair? Or outside TOS and therefore cheating?

Thank you DD for the new interesting thread! May it live and prosper!
  4. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 14:54
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

I have the same question in mind, when I was a clan leader. May I inform one of my clan members that his opponents time has ran out? If I do, and he decides to skull him out, then he get a win and a rating rise, and my clan perhaps win the challenge. Fair? Cheating? Indeed an interesting question.

Or when I a ...[text shortened]... and therefore cheating?

I meant to make this thread in the help forum, but this works too.

I've never done that, but I didn't know.
  5. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 15:27
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

Or when I a ...[text shortened]... and therefore cheating?

I think it's a great question.

I have wondered the same thing.
  6. Joined
    02 Oct '07
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 16:30
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    you sent a message to someone telling them they can time out someone in another game?
    Any advice or commentary on an ongoing game is cheating. That's what I've always been taught at least.
  7. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 16:341 edit
    Originally posted by zzyw
    Any advice or commentary on an ongoing game is cheating. That's what I've always been taught at least.
    you're post isn't exactly what this thread is about. I'm talking about messaging someone, telling them they can time their opponent out.

no advice.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 16:42
    you're post isn't exactly what this thread is about. I'm talking about messaging someone, telling them they can time their opponent out.

no advice.
    It is against the rules OTB so it should be here.

A player or an arbiter are the only people allowed to claim a flag fall. Anyone else is "interfering"

Article 6 and 13 FIDE rules
  9. Joined
    11 Aug '03
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 16:56
    What if you send them a message reminding them about timeouts in general and don't mention a specific game?
  10. Joined
    02 Oct '07
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 17:02

no advice.
    ad·vice

1. an opinion or recommendation offered as a guide to action, conduct, etc.: I shall act on your advice.

Example: Messaging someone, telling them they can time their opponent out.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 17:061 edit

no advice.
    Ahem, I have to believe that advising someone that they can time their opponent out constitues advice. Nudge, nudge.

EDIT: zzyw beat me to it 🙂
  12. Domincan Republic
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 17:091 edit
    ad·vice

1. an opinion or recommendation offered as a guide to action, conduct, etc.: I shall act on your advice.

According to the definition then it is cheating, The game and all kind of commentaries about it are betwin players, including time comentaries, even if is an unritten rule, only that if its an unritten rule then its not against the rules but against good moral behaviour.
  13. Domincan Republic
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 17:12
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    And what is the award?

O my, I think I just won. 😀
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 17:15
    Originally posted by Superman
    According to the definition then it is cheating, The game and all kind of commentaries about it are betwin players, including time comentaries, even if is an unritten rule, only that if its an unritten rule then its not against the rules but against good moral behaviour.
    Right....no advice can be given on a game in progress, so it's cheating. Barely.
  15. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '07 17:19
    ad·vice

Okay, thanks everyone.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree