1. Joined
    28 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 15:24
    Hi all, I'm wondering if the following would be allowed. If not, it is no problem and I can find some other way of helping my nephew learn chess.

I live in Virginia and my nephew lives in North Carolina. He is really interested in learning chess and created an account here as we rarely see each other nowadays. What we plan to do is play some games together and I would help him...not in suggesting moves, but in telling him what to look for during the game...watching for pins, forks, etc...how to avoid the same.

All of our games would be unrated and not affect any ratings that I know of. It would be to help a someone learn the game and hopefully play better over time.

No engines, databases would be used during the games, no actual move suggestions, but advice on how to play the game, what to look for, what to avoid. After the game tho, we could go over it in more detail on what mistakes he made, what he could have played etc.

We are both excited about using the site as a way spend time together, learning, having fun, etc. But neither of us wants to do anything that would affect the integrity of the site, the game, etc.

I'd appreciate any comments any of you might have to offer, especially those from the mod team or administration or long term members, etc. Thanks and good luck in your games.
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 16:10
    AFAIK anything goes in unrated games.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 16:15
    Originally posted by zebano
    What does "AFAIK" mean?
  4. Joined
    30 Nov '07
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 16:16
    As Far As I Know
  5. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 16:30
    Originally posted by Paladin57
    Hi all, I'm wondering if the following would be allowed. If not, it is no problem and I can find some other way of helping my nephew learn chess.

I live in Virginia and my nephew lives in North Carolina. He is really interested in learning chess and created an account here as we rarely see each other nowadays. What we plan to do is play some games toge ...[text shortened]... the mod team or administration or long term members, etc. Thanks and good luck in your games.
    That is what unrated games are for. Even if you directly suggest move, it doesn't matter. Enjoy ! 🙂
  6. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 16:46
    I fully agree with the idea, but there is no official position from the site admins, on the contrary, so beware. I would recommend to use setup, though, because that even keeps the games out of the statistics (games played/won/lost ...). I can't see a valid reason to forbid anything on that type of games (including books, databases, engines, third party input, ...). But that is only my personal opinion.
  7. The sky
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 16:53
    That's not entirely true - Russ has been very clear about engine use being prohibited even in unrated games, and even if it's used as a teaching tool (which is very unfortunate in my opinion, but I don't think he'll change his mind about this). However, as far as I understand unrated tutoring games without engine use are allowed, so Paladin shouldn't have a problem.
  8. home
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 18:53
    This is not correct, and is mentioned in previous threads. Stated from admins that there is no difference whehter the game is rated or unrated; if it is from a set-up or not. The same rules applies to all games; confere the Terms of Service
  9. Antwerp, Belgium
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 19:091 edit
    Originally posted by dsmfire
    This is not correct, and is mentioned in previous threads. Stated from admins that there is no difference whehter the game is rated or unrated; if it is from a set-up or not. The same rules applies to all games; confere the Terms of Service
    That's a simplistic answer, don't you think? There is something like logic and common sense.
  10. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 19:22

I live in Virginia and my nephew lives in North Carolina. He is really interested in learning chess and created an account here as we rarely see each other nowadays. What we plan to do is play some games toge ...[text shortened]... the mod team or administration or long term members, etc. Thanks and good luck in your games.
    I really cannot see a problem with that.

An advice you want to give your opponent and vice versa does not constitute outside assistance in any way, shape or form.
  11. Joined
    28 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 19:36

Don't worry about it. Ratings will not be inflated!
  12. Joined
    02 May '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 20:10
    Giving your opponent advise should not be against the rules. The opponent has to take into account if the adivse is good or if it should be ignored.
  13. Joined
    28 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 20:18
    I think I read while perusing the old threads that there was actually a tutoring service based on this a while back, so no problem. Good luck to your chess-willing friend, I wish him all the best of luck.
  14. The sky
    Moves
    03 Feb '08 20:361 edit
    Originally posted by dsmfire
    "3(b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials."

The advice wouldn't come from a third party, so I can't see how it would be against the terms of service.
  15. Joined
    28 Jan '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '08 02:40
    I want to thank all of you for your comments and insight. Our game started today with Pete making his first move and already his other cousin wants to join in on the fun.

I thought of possibly suggesting a move here or there for him but have decided I dont want to do that for him. Rather, I want him to find/learn them himself...that is not to say after my move I may tell him to look for certain pins, forks...pieces, etc.

Again, I want to thank you for your time, your comments and your support. I'm sure we'll have a great time. He has wanted to learn for some time and now, distance will not be an issue. Take care, good luck in all your games 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree