1. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 20:10
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Is anyone else aroused by that or is it just me?
    😵
  2. Standard memberpawnfondler
    no edits
    Behind you
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 20:50
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I've been wondering why people think d4 is a boring opening. just pile the forces behind the center, sac, and ka-boom! I think it's more about how you play it than what you play.

I've been playing exclusively d4 recently, and tactics are my strongest point by far. I look at d4 more as unstoppable power than playing it safe. e4 gives you a s ...[text shortened]... gantic killer that demolishes everything with its momentum.

I'm more of a big wave guy.
    i think the d4 opening requires a bit more knowledge on chess and positionings which could be why ppl think it to be more boring. I remember hearing fischer was accused of lacking a knowledge on the d4 game and it being his biggest weakness. hence why spassky always initiated a d4 opening on him when he played white.
  3. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 20:53
    Originally posted by pawnfondler
    i think the d4 opening requires a bit more knowledge on chess and positionings which could be why ppl think it to be more boring. I remember hearing fischer was accused of lacking a knowledge on the d4 game and it being his biggest weakness. hence why spassky always initiated a d4 opening on him when he played white.
    Fischer had plenty of knowledge of the KID though.

Anybody here use the Grunfeld? It's always been very interesting to me.
  4. Standard memberpawnfondler
    no edits
    Behind you
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 20:571 edit
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Fischer had plenty of knowledge of the KID though.

Anybody here use the Grunfeld? It's always been very interesting to me.
    1 d4 Nf6 2 c4 g6 3 Nc3 d5 im trying it out in a couple of my tournament games here. ive watched in a few matches on chess games now. it draws more often than anyone wins it. but it is an interesting opening.
    im following it with Nf3 BG5.
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 21:01
    1 d4 Nf6 2 c4 g6 3 Nc3 d5 im trying it out in a couple of my tournament games here. ive watched in a few matches on chess games now. it draws more often than anyone wins it. but it is an interesting opening.
    Hrm, I wasn't aware of the drawing stuff - but I'm just looking for something insane, which is hard to find against 1.d4.
  6. Standard memberpawnfondler
    no edits
    Behind you
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 21:081 edit
    well if you wanna see how its playing out check out my game 2786975 its still in progress so dont make any comments, but the guy is playing as black and just blundered, so its not very interesting at the moment. but i guess it shows if you go with the pawn conflict in the middle white comes out ahead 😉
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 21:18
    well if you wanna see how its playing out check out my game 2786975 its still in progress so dont make any comments, but the guy is playing as black and just blundered, so its not very interesting at the moment. but i guess it shows if you go with the pawn conflict in the middle white comes out ahead 😉
    I don't think white's necessarily better in the Grunfeld - there are plenty of games to support me as well.
  8. Standard memberpawnfondler
    no edits
    Behind you
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 21:29
    ran the numbers, white wins 30.9 percent, black wins 30.2 percent. 38.9 percent draw. so its all in how its played. as white in my game im up though. yay .7 percent!
  9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 21:561 edit
    Originally posted by arrakis
    It means that you are a ladies man... but expect her to buy once in awhile. 😵
    or a men's man as it seems...
  10. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 01:13
    I still can't decide on a response, and it's driving me nuts.

I've tested:

KID - right when I started playing, it's nice but theoretical...
    Semi-Slav - just doesn't feel wild enough
    Benko - IDK, it's nice, but I don't really know if I like the resulting positions that much... :/

Considering:
    Nimzo Indian/Bogo Indian - Just worried about the theory and possible boring continuations
    Grunfeld - Pretty much the same thing

IDK, any help here?
  11. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 01:35

I've tested:

KID - right when I started playing, it's nice but theoretical...
    Semi-Slav - just doesn't feel wild enough
    Benko - IDK, it's nice, but I don't really know if I like the resulting positions that much... :/

Considering:
    Nimzo Indian/Bogo Indian - Just worried about the ...[text shortened]... ssible boring continuations
    Grunfeld - Pretty much the same thing

IDK, any help here?
    QGD Baltic Defence?

It's not particularly sound, but the tactics can make it confusing for your opponent.
  12. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 03:39
    Originally posted by Ian68
    QGD Baltic Defence?

It's not particularly sound, but the tactics can make it confusing for your opponent.
    Well, tbh, I'd prefer something that is sound - now that I'm over 1600 and trying for 1700/1800 I really want something pretty sound. In any case I've never heard of the Baltic Defense, but I generally assume QGD = boring.
  13. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 03:51
    I don't think you're wrong to try various openings in an attempt to see what you like best. But be aware that every opening will have lines that for one reason or another don't please you as much as the rest. Sometimes when this is the case, rather than be tempted to look elsewhere, you may need to look more into these lines for new ideas. Sometimes with a bit of work (e.g. analysing some relevant GM games), a line that you don't like playing can become more interesting.

I once switched from the Caro-Kann to 1.e4 e5 in order to give my opponent more problems in the opening, esp. in the quieter lines of the CK. However, 1.e4 e5 brought it's own problematic lines. And so would the Sicilian, French, etc. So now when I'm losing faith in a CK line, I try to find some e.g. Capablanca, Karpov, etc. games in that line. 10 out of 10 times I realise it's my handling of the line that is causing the problem, i.e. I don't understand the resulting middlegame well enough.

Just a thought based on my experience of "opening hoppping". But of course, it is also possible that you should change opening if you're generally not suited to playing it.
  14. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 04:091 edit
    Originally posted by Varenka
    I don't think you're wrong to try various openings in an attempt to see what you like best. But be aware that every opening will have lines that for one reason or another don't please you as much as the rest. Sometimes when this is the case, rather than be tempted to look elsewhere, you may need to look more into these lines for new ideas. Sometimes with possible that you should change opening if you're generally not suited to playing it.
    Oh trust me, I know that. I plan to stick with the KG, Dragon, Ruy (If I do decide to pick this up in the future, right now I only use it occasionally in blitz), Freak Attack, Yugoslav Attack, adv. Caro-Kann, etc. But against 1.d4 I just haven't found anything that I really feel comfortable using. It's insanely frustrating.

I see you didnt move for over 40 days - what happened?
  15. Standard memberArrakis
    D_U_N_E
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 04:171 edit
    Well, tbh, I'd prefer something that is sound - now that I'm over 1600 and trying for 1700/1800 I really want something pretty sound. In any case I've never heard of the Baltic Defense, but I generally assume QGD = boring.
    You should study either the Budapest gambit OR the Grunfeld. Both of these openings are sharp lines for Black with lots of tactics, which is what you like.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree