Your Thoughts

Your Thoughts

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RD

Moves
19 Sep 07
3 edits

I find some of the solutions to the problems on Chess Tactics Server (http://chess.emrald.net/index.php) that seem not to make any sense. Is it me, or do others find the same thing?

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
19 Sep 07

Originally posted by Ron Drums
I find some of the solutions to the problems on Chess Tactics Server (http://chess.emrald.net/index.php) that seem not to make any sense. Is it me, or do others find the same thing?
Try chesstempo.com

S

Dublin

Moves
19 Sep 07

With rare exceptions, when I've found a solution I don't understand CTS I've missed something. If you have an engine handy, put the position into it and see what it says.

RD

Moves
19 Sep 07

Originally posted by Red Night
Try chesstempo.com
Thanks Red, but I think they have the same problem, take a look at problem #14133. Why doesn't the king take the rook?

RD

Moves
19 Sep 07

Originally posted by Schumi
With rare exceptions, when I've found a solution I don't understand CTS I've missed something. If you have an engine handy, put the position into it and see what it says.
I wish they where rare exceptions 😀

I think winboard has an engine, just haven't figured why I can't get that to work either.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
19 Sep 07

I wish they where rare exceptions 😀

I think winboard has an engine, just haven't figured why I can't get that to work either.
The puzzles are explained on Chesstactics. Post a number of 1 that you think is wrong.

D

SS

Moves
19 Sep 07
1 edit

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
19 Sep 07

Thanks Red, but I think they have the same problem, take a look at problem #14133. Why doesn't the king take the rook?
After KxR...Nf2+ forking Rook and King.

that problem is about winning the white Bishop.

RD

Moves
19 Sep 07

Originally posted by Red Night
After KxR...Nf2+ forking Rook and King.

that problem is about winning the white Bishop.
I need to give my eyes a rest from the computer screen, for some reason I missed the fork.😳

Thanks

T
Blunder Grandmaster

Forked by a Knight

Moves
19 Sep 07

I find this problem much less pronounced on CTS than on CT. On CTS, as others have already stated, there is almost always one, and only one, correct response. If you played something else you probably missed the motif completely.

On CT this is not the case. They have lots of problems with lots of great move opportunities, but only one 'most correct' move. All other moves are incorrect, no matter what advantage you would have in playing that line.

The most frustrating of these is forced mate situations. On CT if you see a mate in 6, but there was also a mate in 5, then your answer is incorrect. It doesn't matter if both lines are forced or not. This is very frustrating because I stop looking for better moves once I see a forced mate. I suspect most others do as well.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
19 Sep 07

Originally posted by TippedKing
I find this problem much less pronounced on CTS than on CT. On CTS, as others have already stated, there is almost always one, and only one, correct response. If you played something else you probably missed the motif completely.

On CT this is not the case. They have lots of problems with lots of great move opportunities, but only one 'most correct' ...[text shortened]... I stop looking for better moves once I see a forced mate. I suspect most others do as well.
I agree with that.

I find chess tempo to be easier to use, but lots of time there are multple soltions and as you point out the system rates a mate in 2 as correct and a mate in 3 as incorrect.