1. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 16:37
    Originally posted by @venda
    8. Are you historic? I'm certainly old!!
    You don't think the moon is historic, i.e., famous or important in history, significant, notable,
    consequential, newsworthy, unforgettable, remarkable; celebrated, renowned or legendary? 😠
  2. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 18:51
    Originally posted by @js357
    1. Are you mined (dug up for money) anywhere in the world? Yes
    2. Are you an element. I am more than one element.
    Are you bauxite?
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 19:43
    Originally posted by @handyandy
    You don't think the moon is historic, i.e., famous or important in history, significant, notable,
    consequential, newsworthy, unforgettable, remarkable; celebrated, renowned or legendary? 😠
    I didn't say I wasn't historic ,but I've never heard the moon referred to as such but by the definitions you quote a suppose it is in a way.
    I do know life on Earth couldn't have evolved as it has without the moons steadying influence on it's orbit.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 22:55
    Originally posted by @lemon-lime
    Are you bauxite?
    3. Are you bauxite? No.
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 23:03
    Are you metallic?
  6. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 23:26
    Would I call you precious or semi-precious?
  7. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 12:41
    Are you(or have been previously) mined in the U.K
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 15:444 edits
    Are you metallic?
    3. Are you bauxite? No.
    4. Are you metallic? The chemists would say I am in part, a metal.but I do not look like a metal any more than silver nitrate looks like silver.
    5. Would I call you precious or semi-precious? No
    6. Are you (or have been previously) mined in the U.K. I find no record of such mining.
  9. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 16:17
    Is one of your elements uranium?
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 16:26
    Is one of your elements uranium?
    18 Feb '18 08:44 / 4 edits

Are you metallic?

3. Are you bauxite? No.
    4. Are you metallic? The chemists would say I am in part, a metal.but I do not look like a metal any more than silver nitrate looks like silver.
    5. Would I call you precious or semi-precious? No
    6. Are you (or have been previously) mined in the U.K. I find no record of such mining.
    7. Is one of your elements uranium?I happen to know that a trace amount of uranium is commonly found in me, but it's not part of my chemical formula and I am not mined for it.
  11. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 17:00
    Are you salt
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 19:361 edit
    Originally posted by @venda
    Are you salt
    3. Are you bauxite? No.
    5. Would I call you precious or semi-precious? No. Edit: At least one site says specimens of my general class are sometimes treated as gemstones, but the vast tonnage that is mined annually is not even considered for this possibility.
    7. Is one of your elements uranium?I happen to know that a trace amount of uranium is commonly found in me, but it's not part of my chemical formula and I am not mined for it.
    8. Are you salt. I am not table salt and am more likely treated as a mineral by chemists.

See edit for #5.
  13. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 21:41
    Are you found in what is loosely called "mineral sands" as listed in Wikipedia?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_mineral_sands_ore_deposits
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Feb '18 06:025 edits
    Originally posted by @kewpie
    Are you found in what is loosely called "mineral sands" as listed in Wikipedia?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_mineral_sands_ore_deposits
    3. Are you bauxite? No.
    5. Would I call you precious or semi-precious? No. Edit: At least one site says specimens of my general class are sometimes treated as gemstones, but the vast tonnage that is mined annually is not even considered for this possibility.
    7. Is one of your elements uranium?I happen to know that a trace amount of uranium is commonly found in me, but it's not part of my chemical formula and I am not mined for it. Edit: in some cases, nontrivial amounts of U isotopes are present.
    8. Are you salt. I am not table salt and am more likely treated as a mineral by chemists.
    9. Are you found in what is loosely called "mineral sands" as listed in Wikipedia?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_mineral_sands_ore_deposits No, I find no mention of me or the product of processing me. Also, my specific gravity is not so great as to make me stand out from the other bits of minerals I hang around with, enough to act like so called mineral sands, which are placer deposits, which type of deposit I am not, at present.
    See another edit, this time to #7.
  15. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    19 Feb '18 09:24
    Are you a phosphate compound?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree