Anyone a Master of Physics?

Anyone a Master of Physics?

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H

San Diego

Moves
11 Oct 07

Originally posted by Ramned
Relativity

[b]26. Is the expression E= mc^2 strictly correct? For example, does it accurately account for the Kinetic energy of a moving mass?
[/b]
It is correct. A body's relativistic mass is equal to E/c^2. E is the total energy of the body. When the body is at rest, the total energy at rest divided by c^2 is its rest mass. The total energy includes kinetic energy. When a body is moving relative to an observer, then, to the perspective of that observer, it has a higher total energy than when it is at rest, and thus a higher relativistic mass. So, kinetic energy, and all other forms of energy, are always accounted for. In order to accelerate a body at rest and give it kinetic energy, work must be done on it, so its total energy increases; therefore, its relativistic mass increases, also.

R
The Rams

Moves
11 Oct 07
1 edit

No...

H

San Diego

Moves
11 Oct 07

Well, this is one answer that I'm not changing. So, I'll just stand by for others' input or a rephrasing of the initial question.

R
The Rams

Moves
11 Oct 07
3 edits

Originally posted by HolyT
Well, this is one answer that I'm not changing. So, I'll just stand by for others' input or a rephrasing of the initial question.
'No' does not necessarily mean you are entirely wrong...Are you confident on that answer or is the question confusing in any way?

"Strictly correct" means the scenarios are all possible.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
11 Oct 07

Relativity

[b]26. Is the expression E= mc^2 strictly correct? For example, does it accurately account for the Kinetic energy of a moving mass?
[/b]
No, the equation is actually a bit more complex, but I don't want to look it up.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
11 Oct 07

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
No, the equation is actually a bit more complex, but I don't want to look it up.
E=mc^2/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)
This is the correct equation that accounts for bodies in movement. If you Taylor expand it assuming that v is much smaller than c you'll get the newtonian kinetic energy plus a constant term.

H

San Diego

Moves
11 Oct 07

'No' does not necessarily mean you are entirely wrong...Are you confident on that answer or is the question confusing in any way?

"Strictly correct" means the scenarios are all possible.
The confusing parts are "account for" and "strictly correct." It's a matter of defining terms. If E is the total energy with respect to an observer (which includes kinetic energy), and m is the relativistic mass, then E = mc^2 always does account for the kinetic energy.

However, if the m is the rest mass, and E is still the total energy, and the body is moving with respect to an observer, then the correction for relative velocity must be thrown in there.

R
The Rams

Moves
12 Oct 07
1 edit

The confusing parts are "account for" and "strictly correct." It's a matter of defining terms. If E is the total energy with respect to an observer (which includes kinetic energy), and m is the relativistic mass, then E = mc^2 always does account for the kinetic energy.

However, if the m is the rest mass, and E is still the total energy, and the body is m ...[text shortened]... respect to an observer, then the correction for relative velocity must be thrown in there.
Does the expression account for all scenarios? For example, does it work for light?

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
12 Oct 07

Originally posted by adam warlock
E=mc^2/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)
This is the correct equation that accounts for bodies in movement. If you Taylor expand it assuming that v is much smaller than c you'll get the newtonian kinetic energy plus a constant term.
That's not the one I'm thinking about I don't think. I remember some additive term.

Ah, found it on Wiki.

E^2 - (pc)^2 = (mc^2)^2

When p = 0, we get the old E = mc^2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_relativity

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
12 Oct 07

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
That's not the one I'm thinking about I don't think. I remember some additive term.

Ah, found it on Wiki.

E^2 - (pc)^2 = (mc^2)^2

When p = 0, we get the old E = mc^2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_relativity
Ah. I alwyas think about the equation I gave you even thou this one is more used and in some ways more fundamental.

H

San Diego

Moves
16 Oct 07

Does the expression account for all scenarios? For example, does it work for light?
Yes, it works for light. Photons have relativistic mass but no rest mass. If an observer measures a photon's total energy, its relativistic mass can be calculated as m = E/c^2. If the observer were to accelerate toward the photon's speed, and keep doing the measurement and calculation, the observer would find that the photon's relativistic mass would decrease, until the observer is traveling at the same speed as the photon. At that point, the photon would have zero total energy and a rest mass of zero (mass at zero velocity relative to the observer).

R
The Rams

Moves
16 Oct 07
2 edits

Yes, it works for light. Photons have relativistic mass but no rest mass. If an observer measures a photon's total energy, its relativistic mass can be calculated as m = E/c^2. If the observer were to accelerate toward the photon's speed, and keep doing the measurement and calculation, the observer would find that the photon's relativistic mass would decrea ...[text shortened]... e zero total energy and a rest mass of zero (mass at zero velocity relative to the observer).
Ok. I think this question is obviously too confusing. So I am going to post a different relativity question to follow. Sorry, I don't always make clear questions 😛

Here it is:

26. You are in a speedboat on a lake. You see ahead of you a wave front, caused by the previous passage of another boat, moving away from you. You accelerate, catch up with, and pass the wave front. Is this scenario possible if you are in a rocket and you detect a wave front of light ahead of you?

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
17 Oct 07

Ok. I think this question is obviously too confusing. So I am going to post a different relativity question to follow. Sorry, I don't always make clear questions 😛

Here it is:

[b]26. You are in a speedboat on a lake. You see ahead of you a wave front, caused by the previous passage of another boat, moving away from you. You accelerate, catch up with, ...[text shortened]... scenario possible if you are in a rocket and you detect a wave front of light ahead of you?
[/b]
No.

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
17 Oct 07

Here it is:

[b]26. You are in a speedboat on a lake. You see ahead of you a wave front, caused by the previous passage of another boat, moving away from you. You accelerate, catch up with, ...[text shortened]... scenario possible if you are in a rocket and you detect a wave front of light ahead of you?
[/b]
you can't "detect" a wave of light in front of you that is moving away from you . . .because . . . it is moving at the speed of light away from you.

H

San Diego

Moves
18 Oct 07

"Detecting" is just given in this question to indicate that you are somehow aware that there would be a wave front propogating ahead of the other ship. It could be by pre-arrangement with the other ship; it doesn't really matter.

The rocket and light example is not possible in the same way as the boat and wake example. Relative to you (in the trailing rocket), the other ship's wave front is propogating at the speed of light. You are traveling at zero velocity relative to yourself. You'll never catch up! From the perspective of the lead ship, the wave front is going forward at the speed of light, and your ship is traveling at something less than the speed of light. Still, you'll never catch up.