Anyone a Master of Physics?

Anyone a Master of Physics?

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
19 Oct 07

Originally posted by HolyT
"Detecting" is just given in this question to indicate that you are somehow aware that there would be a wave front propogating ahead of the other ship. It could be by pre-arrangement with the other ship; it doesn't really matter.

The rocket and light example is not possible in the same way as the boat and wake example. Relative to you (in the trailing roc ...[text shortened]... hip is traveling at something less than the speed of light. Still, you'll never catch up.
Isn't this the same as my answer but with a lot more words to say it?

T
Kupikupopo!

Out of my mind

Moves
19 Oct 07

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
No.
I agree.

H

San Diego

Moves
19 Oct 07

Originally posted by coquette
Isn't this the same as my answer but with a lot more words to say it?
No, because the shorter answer had no discussion about why the situations are different. There was no discussion about the principles of relativity that apply to the situation at hand (speed of light the same to any observer) but not to the boat scenario. And the "detecting" issue, which was the only portion that the shorter answer addressed, was not the meat of the question; it was just a matter of setting up the scenario.

m

Richmond Hill

Moves
19 Oct 07
1 edit

Is this a school assignment that you're having everyone here help you with? I've got a chemistry assignment to do on nuclear physics if anyone is interested?

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
20 Oct 07

A chemistry assignment on nuclear physics? You are mixing your metamorphoses.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
20 Oct 07

It must be a nuclear chemistry class. They do exist.

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
20 Oct 07

maybe, but a nuclear chemistry physics class?

R
The Rams

Moves
20 Oct 07
1 edit

you can't "detect" a wave of light in front of you that is moving away from you . . .because . . . it is moving at the speed of light away from you.
yes correct. will post one later on. bit busy now.

m

Richmond Hill

Moves
21 Oct 07

whoopsies, was thinking physics. It's nuclear chemistry.

aren't I the foolish one

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
21 Oct 07

'nuclear chemistry' ?????? How can there be any chemistry at the nuclear level 😕

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
21 Oct 07

There's lots of chemistry at the nuclear level. specific mass, different isotopes, electrophoresis and other membrane migrations, rates of reactions, disintigrations into new elements.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
21 Oct 07

No. You are wrong there is no chemistry at nuclear level cos there aint any chemicals! Its physics.

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
21 Oct 07

ok, well thanks for that information. no chemicals at the nuclear level. got it.

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
22 Oct 07

Originally posted by wolfgang59
'nuclear chemistry' ?????? How can there be any chemistry at the nuclear level 😕
It's the study of the impact of nuclear processes on chemistry. Geez... 😞

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_chemistry

GT

Nixa, MO USA

Moves
22 Oct 07

Originally posted by Ramned
[b]13. An object is hung on a spring, and the frequency of oscilation of the system, f, is measured. The object, a second identical object, and the spring are carried to space in the Space Shuttle. The two objects are attached to the ends of the spring, and the system is taken into space on a space walk. The spring is extended, and the system is released to o ...[text shortened]... e frequency of oscillation for this system, in terms of f?

There's the question again.[/b]
OK< I'm only on page 8 so I'm gonna take a guess before looking in the back of the book! I'm gonna say the frequency is exactly the same! My reasoning is that this question is the same as the one where you have a car smash into a concrete abuttment, or TWO cars hit each other while weighing the same and traveling in opposite directions at exactly the same speed as in the 1st experiment. The result is identical! NOW I'll peek and see if I'm right!