Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Posers and Puzzles

Posers and Puzzles

1. 10 Mar '06 02:21
    A man wants to calculate the percentage of wins to losses of his favourite basketball team. To do this he adds the number of wins to the number of losses, then multiplies that by one hundered to get the percent total, which he labels x. Is it possibly to classify the percentage of wins as y?
  2. Standard member PBE6
    Bananarama
    10 Mar '06 07:36
    Originally posted by prosoccer
    A man wants to calculate the percentage of wins to losses of his favourite basketball team. To do this he adds the number of wins to the number of losses, then multiplies that by one hundered to get the percent total, which he labels x. Is it possibly to classify the percentage of wins as y?
    Who's got the what now? I think this question needs a re-write.
  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's about respect
    10 Mar '06 09:41
    Originally posted by prosoccer
    This guy's math skills suck. If the team played 100 games, and won 30 of them and lost 70 of them, the formula would give a win % of 1000%.
  4. 10 Mar '06 10:29
    if i got that right, what you said is

x = (wins + losses) * 100

if you want y to be the win percentage, it has to be:

y = wins / (wins + losses) * 100

therefore:

y = wins / x

do you mean that?
  5. 19 Mar '06 18:01
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    This guy's math skills suck. If the team played 100 games, and won 30 of them and lost 70 of them, the formula would give a win % of 1000%.
    Indeed they do. Perhaps he was intoxicated when he posted this.
  6. 20 Mar '06 15:38
    So where is the puzzle. Although I suppose the simple math mistake may classify you as something of a poser..