1. Standard memberslappy115
    Slappy slap slap
    Under your bed...
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 18:59
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Alright, because if he was right then there is a way to transmit informatin faster than light, and this is not possible due to Einstein.
    Why don't we just raise the speed of light? That would fix everything.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Apr '07 01:191 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    [b]In Electro-weak theory the tachyonic vaccuum is unstable, which is why you get symmetry breaking. It's not clear to me if the unbroken theory contains "physical tachyons" or if it's a mathematical artifact. I've been out of the field for about a decade and have no idea what the current state of thinking about all this stuff is. Thanks for the link, I' eems to me that you'd need something like a faster than light particle to bring it about.[/b
    Its not a read, its a three hour video series broadcast on NOVA but the whole thing is on that link. It should bring you up to date on the latest theories. One of the stunners talked about in that series is the possiblity of cross dimensional communications via gravitons. In string theory, it postulates a particle carrying the gravitaional force called the graviton, which moves at exactly C. One of the big puzzles about gravity is the question, why is it so dam weak? That is to say compared to Electomagnetic forces, like a refrigerator magnet can hold back the gravitational attraction of our whole planet, its trillions of times weaker than magnetic or electric fields. It only seems strong to us because we are basically neutral electrically. So the answer given by string theory (still unproven of course) is gravity is the force that is not trapped by dimensions. This means gravity spreads itself among all the dimensions and string theory postulates 10 or 11 dimensions.
    So it is diluted by those dimensions and is weaker because of it. When you include all the extra dimensions, it adds up to something like the same strength as electromagnetic forces. But one interesting byplay of that is we may be able to detect the effect of gravity on other dimensions directly if and when we ever get LISA online and detecting gravitaional waves. Some of those proported waves could come from other dimensions, other universes. It is an incredible possibility but a lot of things have to fall into place before we start communicating with the 5th dimensional universe, like for instance, the proof that string and Mbrane theory is not just a nice invalid construct that looks pretty on paper.
    Anyway its a good series, you should enjoy it.
  3. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    27 Apr '07 17:59
    If you raise the speed of light it wouldn't change.
  4. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 10:31
    Two lights.......
  5. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 16:31
    I like it but it's not the answer time running out.
  6. Standard memberslappy115
    Slappy slap slap
    Under your bed...
    Moves
    29 Apr '07 05:37
    Originally posted by toyboy64
    If you raise the speed of light it wouldn't change.
    I was being faceious, my friend.
  7. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    29 Apr '07 10:25
    What's forceasus mean?
  8. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    01 May '07 18:02
    And the answer is...................Milk its pasturised (past-your-eyes) b4 u know it.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 May '07 20:182 edits
    And the answer is...................Milk its pasturised (past-your-eyes) b4 u know it.
    That was a new one! ? Not...

Paddy and Mick were walking along and see a pot hole in the ground with no lid on. So Mick decides to investigate and went down...
    Mick: "It's full of milk down there"
    Paddy: "Is it pasturised???"
    Mick: "No, it's not even past my knees!"
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 May '07 11:40

Paddy and Mick were walking along and see a pot hole in the ground with no lid on. So Mick decides to investigate and went down...
    snicker🙂
  11. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    03 May '07 15:08

Paddy and Mick? What is this, a Widget special?
  12. Standard memberDeman1968
    The Archer
    Naantali, Finland
    Moves
    11 May '07 13:04
    That has to be one of the worst jokes ever. It didn't even get a dismayed groan from me. Utter crap. Sorry
  13. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    11 May '07 15:10
    Originally posted by Deman1968
    That has to be one of the worst jokes ever. It didn't even get a dismayed groan from me. Utter crap. Sorry
    Here's a better one!

Two carpenters are working on a house. One carpenter keep checking the nails as he pulls them out of the box and throwing half of them away. The other carpenter says "hey, what are you doing throwing half the nails away!?" and the first carpenter replies "they're defective...they're pointing the wrong way!".

The second carpenter drops his hammer, walks over to the first carpenter and says "You idiot!! ... Those are for the other side of the house!!!"

😵
  14. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    11 May '07 17:30
    Originally posted by PBE6
    Here's a better one!

Two carpenters are working on a house. One carpenter keep checking the nails as he pulls them out of the box and throwing half of them away. The other carpenter says "hey, what are you doing throwing half the nails away!?" and the first carpenter replies "they're defective...they're pointing the wrong way!".

The second carpenter dro ...[text shortened]... carpenter and says "You idiot!! ... Those are for the other side of the house!!!"

😵
    2 handymen are at a job site.

The one handyman says to other, "hey, I went out with your sister last night...she's a carpenter's dream"

The other handyman says, "Why do you say that?"

The first one says, "Cause she's flat as a board and easy to nail!"
  15. Joined
    17 Jan '07
    Moves
    11 May '07 17:43
    Originally posted by uzless
    2 handymen are at a job site.

The one handyman says to other, "hey, I went out with your sister last night...she's a carpenter's dream"

The other handyman says, "Why do you say that?"

The first one says, "Cause she's flat as a board and easy to nail!"
    Irishman goes for a job as a tea-boy at a local building site. Half way through the interview, the site manager asks him 'by the way, can you drive a fork truck?'
    ' Freakin 'el ' replies the irishman 'How bigs the freakin tea pot?'

Later on he applies for a job as a Handy Man.

During the interview he is asked 'Can do a bit of plumbing'
    'Nope' replies the irishman
    'What about a bit of decorating?'
    'Rubbish at painting' he said
    'Hmmm.. gardening?'
    'Nooooo... always end up killing all the flowers'
    'Any good with wood?'
    Sorry...allergic to sawdust'
    'Jeez..' the interview gasped 'What the flick is handy about you then?'
    'Well i only live round the corner!'

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree