1. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    07 Jan '17 20:10
    What do the following words all have in common, besides having just one syllable each?

    BALL ..... MESS ..... LIST ..... TON ..... PUT
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    howling mad
    In the den
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    07 Jan '17 20:33
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    What do the following words all have in common, besides having just one syllable each?

    BALL ..... MESS ..... LIST ..... TON ..... PUT
    They can all be preceded by the word "kind" to make a new word.
    (Although I must admit those words are new to me!)

    Is there a clue in the title?
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    howling mad
    In the den
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    07 Jan '17 20:34
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    What do the following words all have in common, besides having just one syllable each?

    BALL ..... MESS ..... LIST ..... TON ..... PUT
    Should it be BALLS?

    Then we have
    balls-up
    mess-up
    list-up (not sure about that one)
    ton-up
    put-up
  4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Joined
    18 Apr '10
    Moves
    59214
    07 Jan '17 20:51
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    What do the following words all have in common, besides having just one syllable each?

    BALL ..... MESS ..... LIST ..... TON ..... PUT
    Because there's no dot's after "put" is it one of those puzzles where a word finishes one word and starts another i.e if it was park(which it isn't)it would be ball park and parkmess?
  5. Standard memberlemon lime
    ook ook ahchoo
    oLd ScHoOl
    Joined
    31 May '13
    Moves
    5577
    07 Jan '17 21:263 edits
    Together they have all the vowels... A E I O U.

    If this is the answer, then for the third time in a row solving the riddle has been (at least for me) the key to finding the clue... Five of a Kind.
    Is this weird, or what? It's like a detective who needs to solve crimes in order to find the clues.
  6. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    07 Jan '17 22:32
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    They can all be preceded by the word "kind" to make a new word.
    (Although I must admit those words are new to me!)

    Is there a clue in the title?
    No to kind, yes to clue in title.
  7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    07 Jan '17 22:33
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Should it be BALLS?

    Then we have
    balls-up
    mess-up
    list-up (not sure about that one)
    ton-up
    put-up
    No.
  8. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    07 Jan '17 22:34
    Originally posted by venda
    Because there's no dot's after "put" is it one of those puzzles where a word finishes one word and starts another i.e if it was park(which it isn't)it would be ball park and parkmess?
    No. Ignore dots.
  9. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    07 Jan '17 22:36
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    Together they have all the vowels... A E I O U.

    If this is the answer, then for the third time in a row solving the riddle has been (at least for me) the key to finding the clue... Five of a Kind.
    Is this weird, or what? It's like a detective who needs to solve crimes in order to find the clues.
    True, but not the answer to the puzzle.
  10. Standard memberlemon lime
    ook ook ahchoo
    oLd ScHoOl
    Joined
    31 May '13
    Moves
    5577
    07 Jan '17 23:57
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    No. Ignore dots.
    There are five dots between each word, but I assume you're saying ignore the dots because they have nothing to do with the answer..... ?
  11. Standard memberlemon lime
    ook ook ahchoo
    oLd ScHoOl
    Joined
    31 May '13
    Moves
    5577
    08 Jan '17 00:12
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    What do the following words all have in common, besides having just one syllable each?

    BALL ..... MESS ..... LIST ..... TON ..... PUT
    Do those words have anything to do with a particular card game?
  12. Joined
    10 Nov '09
    Moves
    88487
    08 Jan '17 00:31
    Each of the words (ball, mess, list, ton, put) can have the vowel replaced with any other vowel to form a new word. ie. (pat, pet, pit, pot, put). I verified that 'tun' is a word.
  13. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    08 Jan '17 02:39
    Originally posted by Apawnocalypse
    Each of the words (ball, mess, list, ton, put) can have the vowel replaced with any other vowel to form a new word. ie. (pat, pet, pit, pot, put). I verified that 'tun' is a word.
    Correct! Nice work!
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    howling mad
    In the den
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    08 Jan '17 19:10
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Correct! Nice work!
    I don't get LUST.

    Least not anymore.
Back to Top