16 Apr '08 17:27
    looks like an engine game to me.
  3. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 18:24
    Originally posted by eldragonfly
    looks like an engine game to me.
    What an awful statement to make. The only thing it achieves is to create a false impression, hopefully unintendedly, but no less dangerous and misleading. The first game is still well within documented lines of the Najdorf Poisend Pawn variation, the second one is just 2 moves (and very reasonable ones I have to say) out of the moves I know by heart from the Sicilian Sheveningen's Keres attack. I am not questioning the gamemods or their decision at all, but God forgive them if they used any of these 2 games as a basis for the ban.
  4. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 18:35
    WTF??

i'll bust it down into bite-sized pieces for you..

..since you seem inordinately confused...

...well since both were banned for engine use, their ratings were artificially inflated, it seems unlikely that they wouldn't know the lines that you describe. My statement is a very reasonable statement.
  5. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 18:38
    WTF??

...well since both were banned for engine use, their ratings were artificially inflated, it seems unlikely that they wouldn't know the lines that you describe. My statement is a very reasonable statement.
    The fact that they were banned doesn't actually prove that they really were cheating. These lines could simply be played by players who learn opening theory. Even if they were cheaters (I'm not saying they weren't) these are not the games by whom should they be judged.
  6. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 19:22
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    The fact that they were banned doesn't actually prove that they really were cheating. These lines could simply be played by players who learn opening theory. Even if they were cheaters (I'm not saying they weren't) these are not the games by whom should they be judged.
    They were banned for engine use. Enough said.
  7. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 19:23
    True actually. No need to argue whether it's because of these two games.
  8. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 19:56
    Nobody in this thread is claiming otherwise. But your statement above was totally inappropriate because 'looks like an engine game to me' as a reply to the original posting is either bad tasting rambling, or a proof of your lack of knowledge, or (probably) both.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 20:10
    Who says anything about engine use?

R(b) says "While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials."

So we don't know anything about them using an engine. Perhaps they helped eachother, perhaps with other games than theirs. Who knows?
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 20:121 edit
    WTF??

Opening books and databases are allowed here.
  11. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 20:13
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    Nobody in this thread is claiming otherwise. But your statement above was totally inappropriate because 'looks like an engine game to me' as a reply to the original posting is either bad tasting rambling, or a proof of your lack of knowledge, or (probably) both.
    Nice try. They were cheats that were banned for engine use, nothing complicated here.
  12. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 20:18
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Opening books and databases are legal.
    Uh-huh. It's still cheating, no matter how you cut it.
  13. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 20:20
    Uh-huh. It's still cheating, no matter how you cut it.
    What, the use of opening books?

Even serious CC players who play with engines (where it's allowed) not necessarily use engines in the opening moves if they know the opening well and the opponent doesn't leave the book.
  14. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 20:32
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    What, the use of opening books?

Even serious CC players who play with engines (where it's allowed) not necessarily use engines in the opening moves if they know the opening well and the opponent doesn't leave the book.
    WTF? Yes, that's cheating, no doubt about it.
  15. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    16 Apr '08 20:352 edits
    WTF? Yes, that's cheating, no doubt about it.
    Then why is it allowed here in RHP (the opening books)?

EDIT: If you know nothing about that, then click on the shiny, blue button "Terms of Service" on the bottom of the screen and read 3(b).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree