1. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 15:08
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Wrong and irrelevant again! You misrepresented my misinformed opinion on misery and misanthropy. Tract and retract, you hirsute swine!
    Fail.
  2. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 17:26
    Originally posted by geepamoogle
    Online chess is considered correspondence play, and goes by different rules than tournament OTB games.

Past games and opening theory is perfectly acceptable when it can take days for a move to be made (as in play-by-email or play-by-letter games)

Third party help relating directly to a specific position, however, is always forbidden, save in casual and teaching matches.
    It is not acceptable it is the girlyboy method of playing games online, it is not real chess.
  3. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 17:28
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Funny you should mention that. OTB games used to be adjourned. During the adjournment [overnight, before next day's resumption of play], a player was allowed to consult books and databases [think endgame books], or even have a team of other players analyze the position for him!

I've also prepared opening lines for my OTB opponents. The only limitation is that I must have it all memorized before the round starts.
    i realize that, but it's not the same thing.
  4. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 17:291 edit
    Originally posted by eldragonfly
    It is not acceptable it is the girlyboy method of playing games online, it is not real chess.
    Girlyboy =/= cheating

Btw, all CC 2500+ players then are girlyboys. Is that's what you're implying?
  5. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 17:31
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Also, you might want to consider trying out the opening books as a resource because your chess desperately needs it. I am by no means a top level player and I could beat you easily (without books or databases) on my worst day after a three paper cannon and a bottle-cap full of coke.
    What a macaroon. i hope you don't really believe that.
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 17:50
    What a macaroon. i hope you don't really believe that.
    Not only do I believe it, as evidenced by the games we played, but I would suggest your rating is inflated by about 400 points given the tactless openings you employed, the terrible blunders you frequently made and the nonsensical analysis you blathered on about.

Put your little board away, El-D, and go buy a book. You'll thank us all in the end.
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 17:561 edit
    i realize that, but it's not the same thing.
    Yes, but I'm trying to get you to see things from a different angle.

Here's another question. Correspondence games can last months, even years. Should a player stop studying [for example] a book on their favorite opening for all that time?
  8. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 18:18
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Yes, but I'm trying to get you to see things from a different angle.

Here's another question. Correspondence games can last months, even years. Should a player stop studying [for example] a book on their favorite opening for all that time?
    Wow!! A chess player, has chess books and even reads them?? Who woulda' thunk, who woulda' known?

Give me a break SwissGambit, only a severely deluded and hopelessly reticent sissyboy would play his moves by rote from ECO, an opening book or whatever, and not put any thought into his actual play. What you suggest is nonsense.
  9. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 18:40
    Wow!! A chess player, has chess books and even reads them?? Who woulda' thunk, who woulda' known?

Give me a break SwissGambit, only a severely deluded and hopelessly reticent sissyboy would play his moves by rote from ECO, an opening book or whatever, and not put any thought into his actual play. What you suggest is nonsense.
    Seems like you know nothing about opening theory.

If indeed the moves from ECO are the best ones, why play worse if you know the lines. Playing without an idea what is going on is dumb, but playing CC without any databases, books or something for the opening, is even dumber.

A sissyboy you say? Chess is a hobby, not a bravery contest.
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 18:421 edit

You assume people who play from books are not putting any "actual" thought into the lines they choose or analyzing the reason why those moves are appropriate; that is the only nonsense I'm reading here.

It's really no surprise that you are such a terrible player and haven't improved in the however many years you've been playing here.
  11. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 18:591 edit
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    Seems like you know nothing about opening theory.

If indeed the moves from ECO are the best ones, why play worse if you know the lines. Playing without an idea what is going on is dumb, but playing CC without any databases, books or something for the opening, is even dumber.

A sissyboy you say? Chess is a hobby, not a bravery contest.
    The operative concept here is cheating and getting away with it because you can, because no one is stopping you, and not knowing opening lines. Making your next move by rote from an opening book is not the same as knowing opening lines, that idea in and of itself is really stoopid. Again you would not play an OTB game in this manner, what you suggest requires no thought whatsoever beyond knowing chess notation and then "stealing" your next move from an openings book.
  12. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 19:01
    The operative concept here is cheating and getting away with it because you can, because no one is stopping you, and not knowing opening lines. Making your next move by rote from an opening book is not the same as knowing opening lines, that idea in and of itself is really stoopid. Again you would not play an OTB game in this manner, what you suggest req ...[text shortened]... soever beyond knowing chess notation and then "stealing" your next move from an openings book.
    What I was originally picking at was that you claimed those two games looked like engines had played. Such a statement is simply stupid because they both were more or less still in the opening.
  13. Joined
    06 Mar '08
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 19:101 edit
    The operative concept here is cheating and getting away with it because you can, because no one is stopping you, and not knowing opening lines. Making your next move by rote from an opening book is not the same as knowing opening lines, that idea in and of itself is really stoopid. Again you would not play an OTB game in this manner, what you suggest req ...[text shortened]... soever beyond knowing chess notation and then "stealing" your next move from an openings book.
    Um... making moves by rote and learning them, often by playing them out using book etc., is part of chess. Otherwise whenever you play 1. e4, "best by test", you are being a "sissy-boy". And what better way than actually having a willing opponent and everyone on here is willing for this to happen.
    Is that logical? Think about it before you answer, although one does not need a degree in soothsaying to know what that will be.
  14. Joined
    06 Mar '08
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 19:13

I think your location is false- you, in LogicLand? Don't make me laugh. You won't even read the TOS.
  15. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    17 Apr '08 19:16
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    What I was originally picking at was that you claimed those two games looked like engines had played. Such a statement is simply stupid because they both were more or less still in the opening.
    They both were banned for engine use, the rest is just commonsense. For all we know they might have been 800 players, this idea that they actually know these deep and complex variations doesn't fly.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree