1. Joined
    19 Sep '06
    Moves
    24 Apr '08 22:29
    A friend of mine told me this riddle, and I'm trying to figure out an explanation for why this happens. Here goes:

Three guys walk into a hotel and get a room. The room is $30, so each guy coughs up $10. After they go up to their room, the manager realizes that he overcharged them for the room. He opens up the register, takes out a $5 bill, and tells one of his employees to take it up to the room. On his way up there, the guy realizes that they can't possibly split $5 between three guys. He takes out his wallet, puts the $5 bill in it, and takes out three $1 bills. He keeps $2. Each guest gets $1. Now it's like they each paid $9 for the room. $9 x 3 guys = $27, $27+ $2 (the money the employee kept for himself) = $29.

Where'd the missing dollar go?
  2. In Christ
    Moves
    24 Apr '08 22:32
    The $2 is included in the $27, so you shouldn't add it again. $25 with the hotel, $2 with the guy, and $3 with the other guys = $30.
  3. Joined
    15 Feb '07
    Moves
    24 Apr '08 23:03
    This particular problem is deceptive (and intentionally so) because it gives you a logic that has an inconsistent frame of reference.

So let us examine the facts, then process into the account, shall we?

To simplify things, the three men will be considered a single party, as there really isn't anything distinguishing one from the other.

1) The Men pay the Manager $30.
    2) The Manager hands the Bellhop $5.
    3) The Bellhop hands the Men $3.

Three transactions, now let us track where the $30 is

Before step one, the Men have $30, and the Manager and Bellhop have $0 each.

After payment, the Manager has $30, and the Bellhop and Men $0.

After the Manager tasks the Bellhop, the Manager has $25 (NOT $27), the Bellhop $5, and the Men $0.

After the Bellhop performs the incomplete refund, the Manager still has $25, the Bellhop $2, and the Men $3. Sum total is $30.

So as the second poster has pointed out, the $27 paid includes both the Manager's revenue and the Bellhop's "fee", and the remaining $3 is back with the men.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 15:25
    Originally posted by golfer1
    A friend of mine told me this riddle, and I'm trying to figure out an explanation for why this happens. Here goes:

Three guys walk into a hotel and get a room. The room is $30, so each guy coughs up $10. After they go up to their room, the manager realizes that he overcharged them for the room. He opens up the register, takes out a $5 bill, and tells one ...[text shortened]... $27+ $2 (the money the employee kept for himself) = $29.

Obviously the maid got it.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 16:08
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Obviously the maid got it.
    The maid made a buck...
  6. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    27 Apr '08 21:50
    Originally posted by golfer1

Three guys walk into a hotel and get a room. The room is $30, so each guy coughs up $10. After they go up to their room, the manager realizes that he overcharged them for the room. He opens up the register, takes out a $5 bill, and tells one ...[text shortened]... $27+ $2 (the money the employee kept for himself) = $29.

30-5=25 with manager

5-3=2 with employee

1+1+1=3 with each of three guys

25+2+3=30

Why did you think there would be 29$, I don't understand?
  7. Joined
    15 Feb '07
    Moves
    27 Apr '08 23:05
    Originally posted by UzumakiAi
    30-5=25 with manager

5-3=2 with employee

1+1+1=3 with each of three guys

25+2+3=30

Why did you think there would be 29$, I don't understand?
    The problem is intentionally worded with false, inconsistent logic.

The person posing this intentionally counts the bellhop's $2 separately from the $27 the men paid (when it is actually a part of it), and intentionally ignores the $3 they got back.

The problem is solved when the solver realizes this and frames the problem properly.
  8. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    27 Apr '08 23:10
    Originally posted by geepamoogle
    The problem is intentionally worded with false, inconsistent logic.

The person posing this intentionally counts the bellhop's $2 separately from the $27 the men paid (when it is actually a part of it), and intentionally ignores the $3 they got back.

The problem is solved when the solver realizes this and frames the problem properly.
    Oh. Strange.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree