1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 17:49
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Does a liar always tell the truth if he just told a lie and vice versa? if so you could ask each person about somebody twice and the first person with a consistent answer would be a truther... this would take maximum of 98 questions because after 98 you would eliminate all the liars and the rest would all be truthers.
    No, the sometimes truthers are not described as following a pattern although some of them may.

There was another puzzle that had a person who alternated T and L.
  2. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 18:03
    Originally posted by JS357
    No, the sometimes truthers are not described as following a pattern although some of them may.

There was another puzzle that had a person who alternated T and L.
    Ah ok.. it seems that there still must be a way similar to that method but reading the other posts it seems there is a way to ask even less!

I posted a spin on the problem on the last page. It is quite difficult.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    05 Oct '11 04:47
    Ah ok.. it seems that there still must be a way similar to that method but reading the other posts it seems there is a way to ask even less!

I posted a spin on the problem on the last page. It is quite difficult.
    Yes, but I cannot reply, being aware of the solution from a website some time ago.
  4. .
    Moves
    07 Oct '11 22:142 edits
    Originally posted by Palynka
    That said...are you andrew93? andrew93's first post sounds remarkably like a continuation of the conversation by you. 😕
    I don't know who iamatiger is. He was using perl - I was doing my simulations in Excel / VBA. I simply adopted his notation given that is what was being used in this thread. I disagreed with some of his analyses (and introduced deductive reasoning over brute force) so I'm not sure why you would think we were the same person. If you have an issue take it up with the mods or IM either myself or iamatiger - don't make these sort of insinuations in a public thread.

P.S. Had you taken the time to compare our games you would see I never play the Sicilian vs 1.e4 - I prefer the Alekhine defence.
  5. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    08 Oct '11 01:18
    Here is a nice spin on the problem.

Three gods A, B, and C are called, in no particular order, True, False, and Random. True always speaks truly, False always speaks falsely, but whether Random speaks truly or falsely is a completely random matter. Your task is to determine the identities of A, B, and C by asking two yes-no questions; each question must ...[text shortened]... own heads, he say ja; if tails, da.
    Random will answer da or ja when asked any yes-no question.
    Question to middle guy "Does Da mean yes?"

Truth teller + Da Yes : "Da"
    Truth Teller + Da No "Da"
    Liar + Da Yes : "Ja"
    Liar + Da No : "Ja"

So if "Da" we have a truth teller or random, liar is at one end or other
    If "Ja" we have a liar or random, truth teller is at one end or other

hmmm...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree