1. Joined
    20 Jun '07
    Moves
    0
    24 Jun '07 02:03
    8/8/8/3BB3/8/8/5q2/8 w
    You are supposed to add two kings to the position so that White can mate in 1 move. This is from Chapter 8 of Majestic Chess.
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    24 Jun '07 02:131 edit

    You are supposed to add two kings to the position so that White can mate in 1 move. This is from Chapter 8 of Majestic Chess.

    Edit: I've seen this one before....
  3. Going where needed.
    Joined
    16 May '07
    Moves
    3366
    24 Jun '07 04:002 edits
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    [fen]8/8/8/3BB3/8/8/5q2/8 w[/fen]
    You are supposed to add two kings to the position so that White can mate in 1 move. This is from Chapter 8 of Majestic Chess.

    Edit: I've seen this one before....
    Got it! It's so easy!!!

    White was put in check last turn by Black's queen.

    WK is on f6
    BK is on h8

    then its

    1. Kg6#



    edit1: i put g8 meant to put g6...I am an idiot.
    edit2: btw, this one took me about 5 minutes.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52724
    24 Jun '07 04:48
    Originally posted by EinsteinMind
    Got it! It's so easy!!!

    White was put in check last turn by Black's queen.

    WK is on f6
    BK is on h8

    then its

    1. Kg6#

    [fen]7k/8/5K2/3BB3/8/8/5q2/8 w[/fen]

    edit1: i put g8 meant to put g6...I am an idiot.
    edit2: btw, this one took me about 5 minutes.
    I hate to break it to you but that is not even close to mate. Kg6, black has Q-f6 blocking the bishop, if he takes the queen, the king takes the bishop and its a draw, only one bishop left on the board.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    24 Jun '07 05:072 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I hate to break it to you but that is not even close to mate. Kg6, black has Q-f6 blocking the bishop
    If you had stopped here your post would have made sense. (Although it is close to mate; 1.Kg6+ mates next move)
  6. Going where needed.
    Joined
    16 May '07
    Moves
    3366
    24 Jun '07 05:122 edits
    But it still must be a discovered mate and the king must be one of the pieces occupying one square that the black king has to move to, which can only be done in a corner correct? The only way (or at least the only way I can see) must be done in a corner. This way the white king can cover the black's last way of escape. The only corner the queen cannot block is the top left, but if the king moved to his proper position to block black, the white king would be in check.

    That I do know.

    edit: I was one move off ok? granted this was the first chess puzzle I ever attempted and you also must admit I have the right idea.
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    2014.05.01
    Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    92274
    24 Jun '07 06:18
    Originally posted by EinsteinMind
    But it still must be a discovered mate and the king must be one of the pieces occupying one square that the black king has to move to, which can only be done in a corner correct? The only way (or at least the only way I can see) must be done in a corner. This way the white king can cover the black's last way of escape. The only corner the queen cannot b ...[text shortened]... this was the first chess puzzle I ever attempted and you also must admit I have the right idea.
    You do have the right idea. For the most part, your reasoning is good. It's just that your execution is flawed.

    "Almost" is only good in horse shoes and hand grenades.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52724
    24 Jun '07 13:49
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    If you had stopped here your post would have made sense. (Although it [b]is close to mate; 1.Kg6+ mates next move)[/b]
    Oops, switched the king colors in my head.
  9. Going where needed.
    Joined
    16 May '07
    Moves
    3366
    24 Jun '07 18:05
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    You do have the right idea. For the most part, your reasoning is good. It's just that your execution is flawed.

    "Almost" is only good in horse shoes and hand grenades.
    and nuclear warfare lol.

    Yeah, just takes a bit of thinking. I keep reviewing it over in my head, it's a ghost that's haunting me eternally until I get the solution.
  10. Under Cover
    Joined
    25 Feb '04
    Moves
    28912
    24 Jun '07 18:47
    How about
    Invalid FEN inserted - 8883BB385K25q27k w


    1. KxQ#
  11. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    1416
    24 Jun '07 19:02
    Originally posted by BLReid
    How about [fen]8883BB385K25q27k w[/fen]

    1. KxQ#

    There are, I think, numerous positions...
  12. Under Cover
    Joined
    25 Feb '04
    Moves
    28912
    24 Jun '07 19:07
    Originally posted by DeepRed
    [fen]7k/8/5Kq1/3BB3/8/8/8/8[/fen]
    There are, I think, numerous positions...
    There are numerous mate in 2 solutions, but the puzzle is mate in 1. Your second position has the Queen moved from the original puzzle. The idea is the same, but it is a different puzzle as the one posted.
  13. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    1416
    24 Jun '07 19:241 edit
    Originally posted by BLReid
    There are numerous mate in 2 solutions, but the puzzle is mate in 1. Your second position has the Queen moved from the original puzzle. The idea is the same, but it is a different puzzle as the one posted.
    This is mate in 1.
    1. Kxg6#

    And the queen has been moved- true. I wasn't looking at the original puzzle- more fool me.

    😛
  14. Under Cover
    Joined
    25 Feb '04
    Moves
    28912
    24 Jun '07 19:26
    Originally posted by DeepRed
    This is mate in 1.
    1. Kxg6#
    I think I misunderstand you.
    I think you do too 🙂 What I said was that my solution was the only mate in 1 solution to the puzzle which was originally posted. The mate in 1 soultion that you posted has the black Queen on a different square. It is the same idea, but a different puzzle. Hope this clears it up.
  15. Under Cover
    Joined
    25 Feb '04
    Moves
    28912
    24 Jun '07 19:29
    Originally posted by DeepRed
    This is mate in 1.
    1. Kxg6#

    And the queen has been moved- true. I wasn't looking at the original puzzle- more fool me.

    😛
    See, you went and changed your post before my response got in. Now we have to deal with that ugly looking 😛 that you put in.


    I'm shocked 😲 and hurt :'( that you would talk to me like that. Makes me kind of angry 😠 Of course, I don't mean any of this 😉 So we' will be ok 😛
Back to Top